You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm!

Spy Bee

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel I'm a bit impatient for something to happen now, not a good attitude at all I know as some people will undoubtly die because of this storm, but its only human to be curious about what will happen when the force of nature hits is it not?

I feel I'm a bit impatient for something to happen now, not a good attitude at all I know as some people will undoubtly die because of this storm, but its only human to be curious about what will happen when the force of nature hits is it not?

If ure a bit of a sick twat yeah.

From a nerdy point of view, it's a fascinating state of affairs. Been watching the development of this on Weather Underground.

As far as NYC is concerned, it could have been worse. That's not to say that it's not bad as it is, but it appears the system is being nommed to a certain extent by another airmass, and also the track of the system is taking the worst of it away from the city.

Still wouldn't catch me going out there in flip-flops, string vest and a kiss me quick hat... Take care out there, all you east coast US folks.

4 storey apartment block in manhattan collapsed according to fdny.... Knell it's still miles away. This could be very bad....

Good lords... This is going to be ugly. I reckon that all that glass in Manhattan is going to end up all over the fucking shop... The wind is just going to rip through those streets. Scary stuff.

Building Facade Collapse, 8th Ave / 15th St, NYC

Two stories of the façade of a six-story apartment building at 92 Eighth Avenue in Chelsea collapsed around 6:20 p.m., the Fire Department said. No injuries were reported, and no one appears to be missing, a fire spokesman said.

11:25 pm

NYT_Twitter_metro_normal.png

Patrick McGeehan

Con Ed Shuts Off Power to Lower Manhattan

As the surge of water pushed into parts of Lower Manhattan on Monday night, Consolidated Edison took the unprecedented step of cutting off power to customers because of weather.

The utility said it needed to do that to try to prevent damage to equipment stored underground so that power could be restored more quickly after the storm.

At 6:42 p.m., Con Ed shut down the first network at the southern tip of Manhattan, which serves 2,500 customers.

About 20 minutes later they turned off a second network in lower Manhattan that serves about 4,000 customers.

Next on the watch list was a network that serves the Brighton Beach neighborhood in Brooklyn. “That one is right on the edge,’’ said John Miksad, senior vice president for electrical operations for Con Ed, adding that high tide when the strongest surge was expected had yet to arrive.