You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brazil 2014

Karl_b

Going to risk the GF for this as I see it as a travel thread rather a football one.

I said in another thread a while back that I was giving serious thought to going to Brazil in 2014 for the World Cup. I realise it's a good way off but I've started to look in to it, there's a massive thread on Trip Advisor which I'm starting to make my way through but so far I've just been looking at some rough flight costs, both to get there and for internal journeys.

Anyone else thinking of going? I've floated the idea past a few of my mates and a couple seem to like the idea but I want to get a better idea of costs, etc first. Rio and Brasilia are the two places I'd be most keen to visit and I wouldn't be fussed about which games I got tickets for, assuming I can get anyway.

To be honest, it's 50/50 as to whether it'll happen, currently weighing up some other holiday options for next year and some big DIY tasks which would more than likely rule it out but Brazil is somewhere I've always fancied going.

I was thinking about going but will have to wait & see.

I went to SA in 2010 and it was quality. We landed in Jo'burg. Drove to Durban, then round to Cape Town & back up to Jo'burg. Did about 9 games.

Can't drive round Brazil though, it's too big and will add significantly to the cost of the trip. 6 hours is the shortest driving trip from Rio to Sao Paulo, I wouldn't like to guess how long it'll take to drive some places.

Pre-booking flights in SA was a joke, they were asking for £300 before the tournament started but once you got out there you could get them for £60-80.

Staying on Rio beach is busy and expensive enough, wouldn't like to guess how much mark there will be during the tournament.

Also, it's they're winter so won't be that great weather - although it will still probably be significantly better than here.

Remember, after 2 weeks half the fans go home. If you go for the knockout stages rather than the groups, you'll find more tickets floating about and hotels might be cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of useful sites here:

http://www.worldcuptheguide.com/

http://braziltheguide.com/

Also, there's a new Michael Palin travelogue starting on the Beeb soon about Brazil, should be interesting (as his programmes always are). The accompanying book is out soon too, if it isn't already, so I'll be picking that up to get some ideas.

Thats the thing with attending a football tournament, there's just no way it would be shit. Nigh on possible not to have a good time I'd think.

It aint going to be cheap but you just know it'll be money well spent.

I'm thinking about going to but at a very preliminary stage.

It's definitely an expensive one, probably £2.5k for 2-3 weeks, with all the spends thrown in. That's at least 2 years holiday funds so achievable if I save hard.

Finding other people to go with might be more difficult.

im north of Fortaleza right this minute and I would say price have tripled since I was last here 5 years ago.

There are massive problems with card cloning so at the mo I'm just using cash and am lucky that the Brazilian lad I'm staying with will float me until I go home. Some lads got cloned and took for £5k at the airport.

It amazes me that anything gets done in this country as everything is tomorrow, maybe. And the best story I've heard to sum up brazil is this lad went to buy a padlock for a locker. The girl gives him a locked one. He says you got a key for this. She says no. He looks at her and says wtf good is a padlock with no key. She says you still want to buy it. He laughs and says no thanks. She then takes the lock and puts it back on the shelf for sale!!! He says who the fuck is gonna buy a lock with no key. She shrugs and says someone will buy.

Amazing country don't expect anything to happen on time.

im north of Fortaleza right this minute and I would say price have tripled since I was last here 5 years ago.

There are massive problems with card cloning so at the mo I'm just using cash and am lucky that the Brazilian lad I'm staying with will float me until I go home. Some lads got cloned and took for £5k at the airport.

It amazes me that anything gets done in this country as everything is tomorrow, maybe. And the best story I've heard to sum up brazil is this lad went to buy a padlock for a locker. The girl gives him a locked one. He says you got a key for this. She says no. He looks at her and says wtf good is a padlock with no key. She says you still want to buy it. He laughs and says no thanks. She then takes the lock and puts it back on the shelf for sale!!! He says who the fuck is gonna buy a lock with no key. She shrugs and says someone will buy.

Amazing country don't expect anything to happen on time.

You in Jericoacoara for the kite surfing bri?

Boss place - hard to leave (especially trying to head north).

I'm in cumbuco kitesurfing, never made it up to jeri this time. Jeri is a great place tho.

Cost wise it's pretty much the same as home for food and drink. It's also bloody hot. I'll post some photos and video when I get back.

Edited by bri