You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Friendly Intervention...

WhiskeyJar

Having a debate with someone who has a different view point to you is great, and the exchange of ideas can actually help in have a well rounded opinion in the matter down the line.

No one knows everything, which is why tool like this TLW help us better understand views and opinions of other Liverpool fans from all over the world.

I had a discussion with Hank the other day about Sahin; two fans from different backgrounds actually debating the best position of a class player from a different league.

Does this mean he was wrong or right? Does it mean that I am wrong or right?

No, but the debate, which other posters joined and carried on after I left, was interesting.

Now take that concept and apply that logic to some of more tedious posters that we have here; the concept breaks down.

Why?

Because some posters believe they are right no matter insane their points are.

A posters stance against our new Manager (calling him an idiot) and another posters stances against Lucas is but a few examples of this way of backward thinking.

In the end, I have no idea what this thread will accomplish...but I want to do is for the tedious, heated, negative, pointless arguments to stop just to make these forums into a better place.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely correct. It's tedious reading the Internet witch-hunts that pass for debate on here. There's always been a degree of this, but it has certainly grown beyond measure, and there are some ripe examples in current threads.

People are allowed to think that the manager is an idiot, and people are allowed to think that Lucas isn't that good - for me it's all about the reaction of people to others' opinions. When it goes from debating a point to seeking out a member just to abuse them is where it turns from a forum to a teenage Facebook type war conducted by adults. Not only is it tedious and shit to trawl through, it's embarrassing to think that adults can behave that way, and sad to think there is so little going on in their lives that spewing bile on the Internet at someone they don't know becomes so important to them.

Edited by stringvest

I was quite positive that we signed Paulson! So I can't really state with any authority any opinion on the merits of a player, plus, I am pretty much a typically bias fan who will eventually work out a rationale that enables me to support the club 100%, despite the fact that it is a complete contradiction of my previous opinion!

We all have different opinions, it's what stops us being an Evertonian!

I don't know whether it is purely an internet / forum problem or that coming on here has just bought it into stark focus for me but people now seem to be incapable of agreeing to disagree. It seems a lot of people are near enough obsessed with making people think the way they do and will go to great lengths to make it happen. We all are guilty of it to some degree-i certainly am but some on here take it to a whole new level.

I think i read something on here (i think) which sums it up perfectly for me that if you give someone a mask they will tell you the truth, give someone the internet and they will turn into a right silly cunt(or words to that effect)

One thing that is key to all this to me is to somehow introduce a level of respect for others and general decency and decorum.

The best example of this, as it is most recent and currently loudest, is the situation with Code. While i probably shouldnt highlight a particular poster as it is not simply one person that causes a problem, it does best illustrate my point.

Much of the repetition and insults comes down to respect and how points are put across. There are some that see Code's posts and instantly react, with a viewpoint already established (see the aquilani thread from a few weeks ago) and a red rag is waved. Plenty of this has little to do with Code's actual post and that needs to be cut out, but...

The but is important, so i've broken into a new paragraph for it...

...but, the way code expresses his opinion(s) leaves little room for mild mannered response, and those that do choose to react fairly or with reasoned approach are soon drowned out by all the shouting. Beginning post with "who in their right mind..." doesnt exactly welcome differing opinions. "if you dont agree you are not of sound mind" is the subtext. Responses such as last night's "why? is it because you are retarted?" or "only a retard would think..."

That isnt open debate. It's a closed shop with a sign that says "this is the right thing, you're not right, dont come back until you agree or i'll just keep telling you the right thing over and over again" and it's simply quite impolite.

There are a million different opinions for most subjects, as there are millions of different people thinking about the subjects. The problem with the lack of respect and decency shown is that those million opinions have to be whittled down to just two, the "right one" and the "right one" - neither will be wrong (Mad Nick's changing rooms aside).

Very few want to read 50 new pages with just 2 opinions in them, with a couple of slightly different shades and a hell of a lot of 'cunts', 'retards' and 'mongs' thrown in.

Ultimately, with the obvious WUM's aside (which Code isnt, by and large), everyone is here to either debate, discuss, share information, share views or learn something. No-one is here to be bored or to purposefully be disrespectful or outright rude. So why not knock it on the head?

We're all adults (or thereabouts), and we should be expected to be able to behave as such. You wouldnt offer your opinions this way in a pub or in the office - not because you might get a smack, but simply because it was be embarrassing and insulting. Most of us are decent people, we're Red's afterall.

Just because there is no swearing filter built into the software shouldnt mean there isnt a swearing filter applied, it's just required somewhere between brain and fingertips.

Heat of the moment stuff is different. There will always be catharsis in calling Rooney or Ferguson all the names under the sun, but lets reserve it for them, not for each other.

I bet 95% of us could enjoy a pint together and have a civilised conversation about football (or judging from the GF pretty much anything else) in real life, so why not try it on here.

The spirit of this thread is a good one. This kind of thinking should prevail. The problem is that a base level is much easier to descend to, than climbing above.

(with all that said, it drives me fucking nuts reading Xerxes posts which are ultimately civilised to the point of bordering on condescension, and i really should applaud his style but can't!).

At the end of the day, if every post took 3 seconds longer to post, allowing time to reflect and choose a different tone or remove an expletive, the site would be better for it.

If you think Rodgers is shit, fair enough, say it. But only say it once.

Don't keep spamming threads with the same shite, trying to get more and more and more people to react.

The same goes for the anti-FSG brigade. Just repeating the mantra that they are shit over and over, and then trying to verify that with some over-confident bravado about their knowledge of stadium design, the building industry, the likelihood of FFP, their history with the Red Sox, it's all just so repetetive, tedious, and speculative. It's not worth debating, because there's no data, you're just making shit up as you go along, that's the bottom line.

Call me a Facebook teen if you want, but I'll lay into people like that all I want, because it's ruining my enjoyment of the site. There are some really, really negative posters on this site and it's depressing to read a lot of threads at times. This is supposed to be a happy time, an exciting time, but we're being told we can't enjoy it because it's all a lie and we're worse off than we were last year, that Rodgers doesn't have a system, that Allen is a waste of money, that Borini is shite, that Lucas isn't as good as Sahin, that red nets are shite, that the mascot that visits sick kids is a shit idea, and that the owners are going to leave.

Hmm, I wonder why the fuck the owners would want to leave....you moaning cunts.

I don't see reasoned arguments, I see trolling.

In the end, I have no idea what this thread will accomplish...but I want to do is for the tedious, heated, negative, pointless arguments to stop just to make these forums into a better place.

Nothing, absolutely fucking nothing, nada, squat, a grand total of cunt all.......

Edit: Fuck off Funnee you dickhead!

At the end of the day, if every post took 3 seconds longer to post, allowing time to reflect and choose a different tone or remove an expletive, the site would be better for it.

Yeah, but if I removed the expletives from my posts to the likes of xerxes, ardja, Manero, and all the other lunatics, all that would be left would be:

"you massive"

Yeah, but if I removed the expletives from my posts to the likes of xerxes, ardja, Manero, and all the other lunatics, all that would be left would be:

"you massive"

which is more powerful and thought provoking in its very self. See, progress...

Also, i only said remove an expletive, which means for you there's still be plenty left.

Stop talking Spanner, you're just going to get into EVEN MORE trouble.

I couldn't possibly be in any more trouble than I am now!

I'll set the scene. Me and a friend go out for a couple of pints, a couple leads to a few, a few leads to tescos all night counter. We have three bottles of red, a bottle of of Russian standard vodka, some mints, ginger beer....... And two fit students looking for a good time!

Anyhow's things degenerate and booze takes hold, I'll let you fill the rest in for yourself? T'was a whole lot of fun!

Now hungover and staring at the fucking mess I'll have to tidy I'm annoyed and I vented, sorry you cunt!

Worst thing is I've got to go see this lass today and continue where we left off before going to visit a young maiden who's dressed as a school girl and waiting to be spanked, true story.

I hate my life.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If you think Rodgers is shit, fair enough, say it. But only say it once.

Don't keep spamming threads with the same shite, trying to get more and more and more people to react.

The same goes for the anti-FSG brigade. Just repeating the mantra that they are shit over and over, and then trying to verify that with some over-confident bravado about their knowledge of stadium design, the building industry, the likelihood of FFP, their history with the Red Sox, it's all just so repetetive, tedious, and speculative. It's not worth debating, because there's no data, you're just making shit up as you go along, that's the bottom line.

Call me a Facebook teen if you want, but I'll lay into people like that all I want, because it's ruining my enjoyment of the site. There are some really, really negative posters on this site and it's depressing to read a lot of threads at times. This is supposed to be a happy time, an exciting time, but we're being told we can't enjoy it because it's all a lie and we're worse off than we were last year, that Rodgers doesn't have a system, that Allen is a waste of money, that Borini is shite, that Lucas isn't as good as Sahin, that red nets are shite, that the mascot that visits sick kids is a shit idea, and that the owners are going to leave.

Hmm, I wonder why the fuck the owners would want to leave....you moaning cunts.

I don't see reasoned arguments, I see trolling.

Yeah, good post, but Lucas isn't as good as Sahin, so negged.