You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

Haha, no government intervention, apart from the government outlawing it totally. But apart from jailing people who enter the market, it's totally free!

Dennis is honestly getting beyond parody now.

They are called externalities you and I both know you are 100 per cent wrong.

Some drugs can be made at home with little chance of being caught it's the freest market going. Get on it.

Storyville is superb. I'll give that 6 days war one a watch tomorrow.

One I watched recently following a mention on RAWK is Let The Fire Burn.

A story about the rise of the black new age Move political movement in Philadelphia in the 1980's and the subsequent, and ultimately OTT and deadly, efforts of the authorities to shut them down.

Available on putlocker/vimeo etc. Worth a watch.

The Storyville one on the Mexican cartels is one of the best documentaries I've seen for years.

I cried twice.

The nuances are so subtle. Nobody comes out with any credit. Just a terrible and sad situation. Vice and corruption are the failings of human beings, no matter how good their intention.

Watched Cartel Land in the cinema a few months back and recommended it on the film thread. I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you did. The ordinary, decent citizens of Mexico are in a bad place, with little hope at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

BT been showing a load of the 30 for 30s, been recording a bunch to watch when I get a chance.

The Magic Johnson one (The Announcement) was pretty incredible. Currently watching "Broke" which is about the high rate of bankruptcy amongst US sportsmen, some of the leeches those guys deal with...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06rwgp7/blood-and-gold-the-making-of-spain-with-simon-sebag-montefiore-1-conquest

Thought these three were quite interesting, if you can ignore the constant music and slightly odd presenter.

It's an interesting subject, which deserves a longer series, but BBC history documentaries have a habit of using the same formula in their presentation and this one managed to include every cliché available.

It's an interesting subject, which deserves a longer series, but BBC history documentaries have a habit of using the same formula in their presentation and this one managed to include every cliché available.

Overly dramatic music, poncy presenter, and generally style over substance.

I find so little I want to watch on the BBC that I guess my expectations aren't all that high. This was watchable.

Wow, endorsement for Simon Sebag Montefiore from you, I'm impressed. It must really be good then. Will look for it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06rwgp7/blood-and-gold-the-making-of-spain-with-simon-sebag-montefiore-1-conquest

Thought these three were quite interesting, if you can ignore the constant music and slightly odd presenter.

Overly dramatic music, poncy presenter, and generally style over substance.

I find so little I want to watch on the BBC that I guess my expectations aren't all that high. This was watchable.

Am I being trolled here?