You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Guest ShoePiss
Oh and ShoePiss you were right about the 'like I say' thing. Was listening to his presser last night...he's going to have to sort that out...it was driving me nuts

Yeah it's frequent, that's why I thought it might be a regional thing but then he doesn't really have a strong Northern Irish accent. In fact it's hardly recognisable, sounds a bit jock :)

Buck Nasty hangs the old 'this is anfield' sign up

148065798-manager-of-liverpool-brendan-rodgers-with-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7Qe%2b33nN4c24ipoOGF2iJe6pWhJDgBppa0JM1hWpRzQeT

also reading that he is bringing back red goal nets as well

Is that an Estwing hammer? Those things are bloody expensive. Also, how tall/short is Brendan Rodgers? I've got a photo of me standing in the tunnel with the sign, and I look similarly dwarfed by it too. I suppose the tunnel looks more cramped when you normally see people 6ft-plus walking through it. Finally, red nets? We kickin' it old school now.

I think they should forget about this cheap nostalgic tip and get on with things. I find it a little insulting, it's designed to keep the masses happy. Oh here's Rodgers with a hammer putting up the TIA sign. Please stop.

It is gimmicks, I agree with that, but sometime's it helps build a culture. Shankly decided to make us wear all red, probably meant nothing at the time. But at the end of the day, red flags and nets aren't going to make Stewart Downing a good player!

It is gimmicks, I agree with that, but sometime's it helps build a culture. Shankly decided to make us wear all red, probably meant nothing at the time. But at the end of the day, red flags and nets aren't going to make Stewart Downing a good player!

I agree, Whelan.

I'll freely admit I'm one of the negative, doubting Thomas cunts when it comes to how Rogers will do, but I'm kind of impressed and respectful of him putting up that sign.

Symbolism is sometimes important.

You'll Never Walk Alone is another form of symbolism and we all love that.

Religion is symbolism.

Faith is symbolism.

That sign means a lot to the club.

Nothing wrong with him restoring it.

Sometimes you have to "build it and they will come" to borrow a lame Costnerism.

Respect from me on this one, Brendan.

Guest ShoePiss
I agree, Whelan.

I'll freely admit I'm one of the negative, doubting Thomas cunts when it comes to how Rogers will do, but I'm kind of impressed and respectful of him putting up that sign.

Symbolism is sometimes important.

You'll Never Walk Alone is another form of symbolism and we all love that.

Religion is symbolism.

Faith is symbolism.

That sign means a lot to the club.

Nothing wrong with him restoring it.

Sometimes you have to "build it and they will come" to borrow a lame Costnerism.

Respect from me on this one, Brendan.

That makes me want to puke. It's all manufactured, yeah I can imagine him on a set of ladders hanging that. The hammer being in his hand is as close as he got to hanging it, it's a stunt.

I imagine we have someone on the case full time looking for stuff to roll back to the good old days to humour the masses, as long as it doesn't cost much of course.

Sorry I'm just not going to be impressed by it. It's not a slight on Rodgers though, I've got nothing against the man at all and I'm really hopeful he can make a success of his appointment with us.

Guest davelfc
The Dalglish chant has been aired around anfield my entire life, that isn't going to change. It won't be as often because he's not the manager anymore but it will be heard. I'm not missing any point, we're not going to stop over 30 odd years of tradition due to fear of the press.

I think what will happen is that the Kop will chant "Rodgers" as a welcome to him, he will wave in acknowledgment and then the Kop will chant "Dalglish" after.

Only the most cynical of people would take that as not showing support for the manager.

I think they should forget about this cheap nostalgic tip and get on with things. I find it a little insulting, it's designed to keep the masses happy. Oh here's Rodgers with a hammer putting up the TIA sign. Please stop.

Why can’t we do both? I like the idea of the old red nets, and the old sign back. But I’m also well aware that lots of work will be going on in the background trying to sort the team out. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

It’s the old black and white thing rearing its head again.

Guest ShoePiss
Why can’t we do both? I like the idea of the old red nets, and the old sign back. But I’m also well aware that lots of work will be going on in the background trying to sort the team out. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

It’s the old black and white thing rearing its head again.

It's nothing of the sort, I'm not arsed what you've got to say about much anyway.

I think what will happen is that the Kop will chant "Rodgers" as a welcome to him, he will wave in acknowledgment and then the Kop will chant "Dalglish" after.

Only the most cynical of people would take that as not showing support for the manager.

So every single newspaper then.

God forbid if we have a tough start, which is likely when you see the fixtures, as the press will be all over it. I just hope we get a Rodgers chant good and early so those cunts can't say we're calling for Dalglish to come back.

Guest davelfc
So every single newspaper then.

God forbid if we have a tough start, which is likely when you see the fixtures, as the press will be all over it. I just hope we get a Rodgers chant good and early so those cunts can't say we're calling for Dalglish to come back.

I nearly added that but I haven't bought one for myself for over 12 years and who gives a shit what they print because it's mainly biased shit anyway.

I nearly added that but I haven't bought one for myself for over 12 years and who gives a shit what they print because it's mainly biased shit anyway.

Yep. But as long as we have a Rodgers chant then it gives them less to rope to hang us with. We’ve chanted Dalglish for over 30 years and we won’t be stopping now.

That makes me want to puke. It's all manufactured, yeah I can imagine him on a set of ladders hanging that. The hammer being in his hand is as close as he got to hanging it, it's a stunt.

I imagine we have someone on the case full time looking for stuff to roll back to the good old days to humour the masses, as long as it doesn't cost much of course.

Sorry I'm just not going to be impressed by it. It's not a slight on Rodgers though, I've got nothing against the man at all and I'm really hopeful he can make a success of his appointment with us.

One man's puke is another man's pint.

Fair play to you, Shoey.

I think it's good that they're spending time thinking of the fans and the things fans hold close and dear to their view of the club. There are those that will think it's bollocks.

Why get upset about it - what harm can it do.

It's genuine effort though at least he is trying to be part of the club heading out into the city doing all this shit with the sign and red nets,the day you think all that is a stunt then turn it in as what's the fucking point of always crying and moaning

Alltough I'm gutted thet King Kenny had to go, I'm really starting to look forward to see what Rodgers can get out this team. If you look at our first eleven, player for player, up against Swansea's team we should be able to compete for fourth place. Of course it is not that easy, but we are really not that bad. We still have world class players like Gerrard, Suarez, Agger, Lucas (if he can reproduce his form from when he was injured) and Reina. We have good players like Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel, Carroll and Bellamy and promising youngsters in Sterling, Suso and Kelly. If you add Borini and a top class offensive midfielder/winger we have a very good team who could compete with at least Spurs and Arsenal i think.

The question is will Rodgers be given time to make the team play his style of football. One month of pre season is far from enough time, maybe we will have to wait a year or so to really see what he can do. At Swansea he got a year in championship to make his team play his kind of football, and when they came into premier league they were "ready".

The good thing is that we played some nice passing football last year and Rodgers style isn't far so from that. The biggest change will probably be the high pressure, more movement off the ball, more possesion and that includes "defending with the ball in the team" like Spain and Barcelona use to.

I'm actually quite optimistic, but then again I always am at this stage of the year, (except when we appointed Woy), som I'm probably wrong.

So if they called Swansea, Swansealona, when Rodgers was there, does that mean that we will be called Scouselona? :whistle: