You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

Had FSG invested in the squad when we were all saying the squad needed investment, (and even accepting that even with that success might not have been guaranteed), then perhaps we’d have kicked on from the first league win in 30 years and won it more, and with a couple more CL’s as well.

The squad should have been evolved in a better way than it has been, which is my biggest criticism of FSG, and while some might put some blame on Klopp for being too loyal with certain players, I personally think he’d have moved some on if he’d have had the financial backing to do so.

I suppose even with that, FSG may have believed our stock was right to sell anyway, and particularly seeing the cheats post those made up figures they did yesterday, but they’ve been decent owners, who have made mistakes, but on balance we could have done much worse.

If we can say that about any new owners we might get, with a bit more success, then perhaps that can be considered a good outcome.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Some people are too wrapped up in either conspiracy theories or hatered of the owners.

i actually don’t hate the owners, there’s things I don’t like about them sure, but I’d rather them than be a sportswash club. Who doesn’t like a conspiracy theory - apart from the Mel Gibson film.

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

People so obsessed that they see transfers as the be all and end all of football, I'd guess.

yeah because I want the club to address our current pressing issues. This is another distraction that we could do without. 

in terms of new owners All of the seemingly new options sound rubbish. 

One pretty big thing that we always wanted, or claimed to want, from the owners was keeping our best players. They managed to do this really well, given that we seemed happy for Wijnaldum to go (huge mistake in hindsight) and also that a 30-year-old Mane wanted to go himself. The obvious flaw was the failure to freshen up the existing squad. It's probably impossible to get accurate figures on it, but I'd imagine the keeping of the best players had a significant effect on wage expenditure, most notably with the Salah deal. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

i actually don’t hate the owners, there’s things I don’t like about them sure, but I’d rather them than be a sportswash club. Who doesn’t like a conspiracy theory - apart from the Mel Gibson film.

yeah because I want the club to address our current pressing issues. This is another distraction that we could do without. 

in terms of new owners All of the seemingly new options sound rubbish. 

Yes, I agree. I love a good conspiracy theory too. Lots of people on here think Im a John Henry shill (where's my shill money, John?). There are things I think they've got wrong but we live in an imperfect world and who doesnt make mistakes?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Aventus said:

What would people rather have? 

Sell our values and support a club with shady owners, but we win stuff regularly. 

Or have the club fall away, and we wallow in midtable for eternity and don't win any more trophies. But we can claim the moral high ground and tell everyone how much better we are than them.

Seems like a choice between choosing to be man city, or Everton. 

It won't always be much consolation on a Saturday afternoon if we are getting beat but I think it would ruin everything about the club if we sold it to shady owners but got loads of money in return.  

Trying not to be too melodramatic about it but what goes on at Anfield on a big night is so great and people are in awe of it because it's real. It's honest, it's raw passion. The Roma game, the City game - two great examples of matches where the team and the fans felt like one. Arguably because it wasn't easy but we got there through passion and that transmitting to the team working their nuts off. It motivates us not being like City.

Too much money and turning a blind eye to stuff would just make a mockery of it and kill it. Especially "You will never walk alone". 

It would turn it into a sterile environment. You see it already a bit at the game. The corporates who aren't that interested leave their seat 5 min before the end of the half, they come back 5 mins after the start of the 2nd half (almost surprised at their being 2 Half's) and leave 5 mins before the end to cleverly beat the traffic. The game is almost an inconvenience and half the time they seem to be not sure which team Liverpool are or what is going on. 

I look at City when they arrive in town and I often think that if the club had our personality and character they would be unbeatable. It is not that much of a surprise that they struggle when we raise the tempo. They are a great team when everything is going well but they don't really like an atmosphere and wobble a bit when they hit a bump. I don't feel their fans and players are as united either. It just feels like a marriage of convenience. Maybe I am being too harsh.

I just feel that money cannot buy what makes Anfield great but money from the wrong people could well destroy it. 

Anybody on here know much about an "LFC Approved" guy on twitter. He predicted the Arthur transfer the day before it happened, said we were in for Caciedo right before the end of the window. 

He said we were up for sale last month and is now saying he thinks final offers have been made for the club. 

Don't know if he has connections, is he just a chancer?

Just imagine if FSG had spent an extra £100/£150 mill, a backup attacker in 2018 and a centre back in 2020, a replacement for Gini in 2021.

We would more than likely have an extra two champions leagues and a Premier league. 

Now they will fuck off with over £3.5 billion profit 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Anybody on here know much about an "LFC Approved" guy on twitter. He predicted the Arthur transfer the day before it happened, said we were in for Caciedo right before the end of the window. 

He said we were up for sale last month and is now saying he thinks final offers have been made for the club. 

Don't know if he has connections, is he just a chancer?

Ask him for the lottery numbers.

• Upvote 1

The idea of an unlimited pot of money doesn’t really appeal to me. The beauty of Liverpool is as other posters have mentioned is we do it in a legitimate manner. 

Everything about City feels hollow, they can’t even escape that reality themselves. However, given the success Klopp has brought the club he should have been backed far more by the owners.

Striking this balance may prove difficult and somewhat unrealistic.

Playing devils advocate for a moment - rewind back to Man City's 'Aguero' moment......Did that moment mean any less to their fans than say Istanbul for example to us? Is it any less meaningful to them as a memory, as the best moment of their football supporting lives, does it give them any less goosebumps to think about being there or watching it on tv....?

My bet is no.....football is all about those sort of moments, those triumphs (it is of course about the failures as well) but it is those moments that every fan dreams of and every fan wants for them and their club - it is those moments that are indelibly etched in the memories of fans and in the history of the club and the game - it is those stories that are passed from father to son.....(I have gone all Dave Kirby for a minute excuse me).....

Now of course the dilemma is all around the way they have gone about getting that moment and everything else they have achieved since......Do I want us to achieve those things? Yes.....Do all Reds want that? Yes of course......But the problem is what if only way to get those moments is to join in the dirty game that it looks like is increasingly going to be the only way to get them....?

Im not sure this will go as we think. City only cost the Sheikh £210m to purchase. Newcastle were purchased for £415m.   

We are being valued at £5billion!!!!! 

Surely nobody is going to stump that up and then chuck 100s of millions more at players  

2 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Im not sure this will go as we think. City only cost the Sheikh £210m to purchase. Newcastle were purchased for £415m.   

Surely nobody is going to stump that up and then chuck 100s of millions more at players  

That makes sense but surely after you spend all that money you don’t want to then distress the asset? It didn’t stop Chelsea spending money over the summer (all be it not necessarily wisely)

4 minutes ago, Wezza said:

That makes sense but surely after you spend all that money you don’t want to then distress the asset? It didn’t stop Chelsea spending money over the summer (all be it not necessarily wisely)

Chelsea's sale price included money dedicated for "investment" as well as a pass on FFP.

6 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I feel like it opens us up to a different level of capital. If you can afford ridiculous money for a prime asset, you’re probably not in the ‘fuck it, let it rot’ business. You’re in the ‘I might have killed too many of my civilians, people are starting to say mean things so I need to clean my profile with a sports team to distract them’ type business. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HBenn said:

Basically members of the family have/made homophobic, racist, anti Islamic comments/views. Think they probably hold some other horrible views as well. 

Chelsea fan groups campaigned for them to be removed from the process and they were.

Chelsea fans complaining about racism,homophobia and anti Islamic comments is some about turn. 

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Chelsea's sale price included money dedicated for "investment" as well as a pass on FFP.

Yes. It was £2.5 bn to buy the club but the deal included an obligation to invest a further £1.5 bn into the club. I couldn’t understand at the time why the govt thought it was their business to ensure that Chelsea would have bags of money going forward but that’s what they did. 

We are also a much bigger club that Man City and Newcastle, that prestige matters to people that have everything. The oneupmanship is a factor.

"I own Manchester City."

"Nice one mate, got to start somewhere. I personally own Liverpool FC, the most successful club in English football and renowned European giant."

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dave D said:

It's a good point, you see the return on investment at those sorts of figures I guess. You buy us for x billion, were surely not going to gain x billion in value if our owners see this as the optimal time to sell. So how does an investment vehicle get their return?

And if you're an oil country, why spend 5bn when you could buy someone for less than a tenth of that

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

We are also a much bigger club that Man City and Newcastle, that prestige matters to people that have everything. The oneupmanship is a factor.

"I own Manchester City."

"Nice one mate, got to start somewhere. I personally own Liverpool FC, the most successful club in English football and renowned European giant."

You can just imagine the fans of other clubs, when their teams get drawn against City in the Champions League saying: 'Oh, fuck off, I really fancied a glamour tie against one of the big clubs'.