You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Curious Case of Maxi Rodriguez

Glock21

He's definitely not getting younger (and younger)..

I can see that his age plays to his disadvantage, but he's fucking 31 years old and has a good 3 or 4 years on his career. People are far too obsessed with youth in football these days. Apart from one particular manager who's name I shall not mention.

As long as your good enough you're old/young enough ...

Maxi plays the game in his head. He can be completely anonymous, but his intelligence is superb, he always knows the runs to make and his movement is sublime. He's also a really good finisher.

It can sometimes look like he offers nothing, mainly when he's playing alongside players that lack game intelligence, if you play him alongside players like Suarez and Bellamy you'll get the best out of him.

The only reason he isn't playing that much (that I can think of) is that he's let it be known he's off in the summer and the management team are looking to the future. Cutting your nose off, despite your face.

Nail and head spring to mind.Not many players have the brain or timing maxi has,gerrard has it when played correctly and it pains me to say it even wank lumplard has, and the media orgasm over him.People mention hes getting on and hes 31 ffs.Cant help but think hes been a pawn in the by british young and they will come good idea.The best young brit weve played so far this season for me is shelvey and the reason i think he looks a decent player is because he seems to have a footballing brain.Just hope he doesnt end up on the bench as much as maxi has been.

So far no one has answered why he's being left out. Injury? He got injured for a couple of weeks in November i think and he was fit thereafter.

Could it be his contract saying that if he exceed playing certain amount of games we have to pay this and that much?

We need him to start on Saturday. Get a couple of early goals and take him out after an hour.

So far no one has answered why he's being left out. Injury? He got injured for a couple of weeks in November i think and he was fit thereafter.

Could it be his contract saying that if he exceed playing certain amount of games we have to pay this and that much?

We need him to start on Saturday. Get a couple of early goals and take him out after an hour.

Just an opinion but we bought young english players and someone needed to step aside to let them in and i reckon it could have been maxi, unless theres more to it.Wouldnt be a problem if the signings had pulled up any trees or perhaps even a dandelion, but because things have gone tits up in the league and goals are hard to come by maxi is missed as he scores goals

Its criminal to leave Maxi on the bench when we all know what he is capable of. We know how Kenny treated him since became the manager but what we don't know is what happened behind the scene? Why was he left out most of the game this season?

Why? Did he got injured? I don't think so as i saw him on the bench in most of the games. Did he do something wrong in training? Didn't train hard enough? What exactly went wrong?

Last season he had 10 PL goals in 24 starts. This season 4 in 6 starts. He knows how to score. He can go missing sometimes but that can be overlooked if he bring goals to a team that struggle to score any. He scored important goals and links up well with other technical players such as Suarez, Gerrard and Bellamy. His positioning is world class. Right place at the right time.

He's one of our most intelligent players at linking up with others and making space by intelligent running. He find space and give others more option when we attack. We're lacking that and Maxi have those and yet Kenny does not see this. Shame.

There's a reason why he has so many caps for Argentina NT. The reason which Kenny failed to see. Sadly.

One more thing, Maxi isn't a wide player, he is no right or left winger. He is an attacking midfielder. He is effective playing there. He seldom tackle, seldom track back and win the ball and almost zero crossing ability so his best position is behind the strikers. What has been bothering some of you children is because he doesn't help the team but what can he fucking do when he is being played out of position, he is no Gerrard. Put him at the correct position and he'll do the job.

Having said all that, he'll be gone in the summer though so hope he does well for us if he's given a few more chances in the remainder of the season(could be on the bench again against the blueshite this Saturday).

Stop beating round the bush; we know Maxi is not British.

Just an opinion but we bought young english players and someone needed to step aside to let them in and i reckon it could have been maxi, unless theres more to it.Wouldnt be a problem if the signings had pulled up any trees or perhaps even a dandelion, but because things have gone tits up in the league and goals are hard to come by maxi is missed as he scores goals

Kenny bought Henderson who is the only one who is capable of playing where Maxi is playing and he played poorly. Downing isn't young. He's 27.

Goals win you games, not energy, not youth, not team full of English players. Goals. Lack of goals, here we are. 8th place.

I can't remember the last time Maxi played a full game, and I wonder if he's got enough in the tank these days to do just that. However, he could be useful as an impact player from the bench, or starting with cover available on the bench if he fails miserably.

I find it incredible that people are saying that Maxi shouldn't play because often he is ineffective. So, often, he's as ineffective as Downing and Henderson? er, ok. But he does score a lot. And he's always better than Kuyt, who if he doesn't score (and he hardly does), is like playing 12 opposition players.

If I was picking the team for the semi final, Maxi would be in it. We won't get that many chances, and I'd have people in the team who can convert.

I can't remember the last time Maxi played a full game, and I wonder if he's got enough in the tank these days to do just that. However, he could be useful as an impact player from the bench, or starting with cover available on the bench if he fails miserably.

Impact player from the bench? He's better off as a starter because we know he's capable of doing something earlier on and get us goals early in the game.

When he's not popping up in the box scoring goals, he offers absolutely fuck all. Kenny obviously feels it's not worth playing with ten men with the off chance that he'll score, especially when he's 31/32 and won't play a part in our future.

I'm not bothered. He's on stupid money too.

when he's not scoring, he offers as much as Downing, Kuyt and Henderson.

When he's not popping up in the box scoring goals, he offers absolutely fuck all. Kenny obviously feels it's not worth playing with ten men with the off chance that he'll score, especially when he's 31/32 and won't play a part in our future.

I'm not bothered. He's on stupid money too.

Yes you can tell you've seen a lot of him!

I understand the gist of the thread and agree Maxi should be used more,simply because of his goalscoring abilities but the reason he hasnt played i reckon is that apart from scoring he does little else and is finished after about an hour after starting.

He is a useful squad player but i suspect he will be keen on more regular football.

Kenny bought Henderson who is the only one who is capable of playing where Maxi is playing and he played poorly. Downing isn't young. He's 27.

Goals win you games, not energy, not youth, not team full of English players. Goals. Lack of goals, here we are. 8th place.

I agree totally.Maxi aint old so should be in direct competition for a place against henderson,downing or whoever.But they havent been performing and he still gets stuck on the bench,thats not competition its favouratism.And he has goals in him so why the bench warming unless theres more to it.

I agree totally.Maxi aint old so should be in direct competition for a place against henderson,downing or whoever.But they havent been performing and he still gets stuck on the bench,thats not competition its favouratism.And he has goals in him so why the bench warming unless theres more to it.

36million quids worth of new signings sat on the bench? I think its a case of wanting these new players to gel.