You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tracing a mobile phone

donnyred

Haha...no he's not banging my bird..

He texts about me and my kids...

I've left voicemails and text back. But the cunt won't answer...

I've even offered to meet him and discuss his views face to face... But he won't bite...

Basically he's a shithouse hiding behind a pay as you go phone...

Had mates texting and calling him at all hours and he never answers..

So I thought I'd ask you clever people on here for any ideas...

Haha...no he's not banging my bird..

He texts about me and my kids...

I've left voicemails and text back. But the cunt won't answer...

I've even offered to meet him and discuss his views face to face... But he won't bite...

Basically he's a shithouse hiding behind a pay as you go phone...

Had mates texting and calling him at all hours and he never answers..

So I thought I'd ask you clever people on here for any ideas...

Erm.. that sounds a bit serious mate. Have you considered the police?

The phone providers log which of their stations took the message, generally the nearest antenna to you when they sent it but that kind of thing is not easily accessible. If you are receiving abusive messages you should either ignore them or report them to your phone provider.

Unless they are serious threats, I wouldn't expect much to happen except for your phone provider to block that number so just ignore them mate. You probably know who is sending them anyway (if it is weird personal stuff) if you get what I mean.

Your best bet is to report it to the police. They can find out if the phone is registered, and triangulate the area. Unfortunately, phone mast triangulation will narrow the area, but won't in and of itself give you an address unless the phone is registered to someone.

Guest davelfc

Keep the text messages and report it to the police. Harassment is taken quite seriously these days and they will and can find out who it is if they want to. The least that will happen is that the number will be blocked by your provider (but they won't do this unless you report it to the police)

If they continue to purchase sim cards in order to carry on then they are only making it easier to be caught. Chances are they won't even know they're blocked and so as you're not biting they won't bother you. This is the key here, they feed from your responses so get them blocked if you can't help but reply. I know if it was me and about my kids I'd have trouble not biting myself.

I'd change my number. I rarely have the same number for more than 12 months, it takes people a few seconds to add the new number and delete the old.

Cheers Dave

I spoke to someone who works for the police and his view is that I should stop replying...but it's not easy to ignore..

Unless he threatens violence then apparently there's not much they can do apart from suggesting I block the number..

To put a trace on it they have to justify a threat or danger.. And fill in loads of forms and get lots of signatures etc...

Problem is I want to know who it is so I can ...how can I say this.... Meet them for an open and frank chat!

Can't drop it as whoever it is has brought my kids into it...

Ive passed the number to mates and they are calling it at all hours so he must know something is going on...but he never answers.....prob cos he's a shitehouse..

Cheers Dave

I spoke to someone who works for the police and his view is that I should stop replying...but it's not easy to ignore..

Unless he threatens violence then apparently there's not much they can do apart from suggesting I block the number..

To put a trace on it they have to justify a threat or danger.. And fill in loads of forms and get lots of signatures etc...

Problem is I want to know who it is so I can ...how can I say this.... Meet them for an open and frank chat!

Can't drop it as whoever it is has brought my kids into it...

Ive passed the number to mates and they are calling it at all hours so he must know something is going on...but he never answers.....prob cos he's a shitehouse..

That reads to me as if the person you spoke to was a civilian employee of the Police. If that's the case I would speak to the Police directly. You can call them and give them the facts without divulging your own identity and then its up to you what you do with the advice. If this 'person' is making reference to your kids, depending on what is being said, this may constitute 'threat' in itself.

Whoever they are they sound like nasty fuckers

Good luck with getting it 'sorted.'

Right, I'm not entirely sure who you spoke to with Police. If you go to them there are a number things they can do/will consider.

The first it to ask whether it's an offence under the malicious communications act or something more serious such as a harassment. The first is a relatively minor offence but one we often use for nuisance/insulting/offensive messages and ordinarily preferable to the latter if it's just a series of phone based messages or calls. They'll firstly check the number to see if it has been used to make, for example, calls to us to report anything. Short of that, we'll call the number/leave a message to get an answer. Failing that, we can send off the number for network provider information. If it's a pay as you go phone then it's difficult to trace, but if it's contact we get the owner details.

There are various other means of identifying someone through phone records when on pay as you go, but in truth the whole process of doing further traces on what phone has called to trace it back to the owner are so long winded and become so expensive it won't get done.

I'm sure they'll do enough for you to at least get them stopped whether that is by arrest or formal warnings etc. It's not bad advice to stop texting the number, have it blocked by your network provider or even change it, but i've generally been of the opinion that you really shouldn't have to inconvenience your own life because of some cowardly little cunt.

Thanks Charlie

Apparently because I have been replying they can't take the harassment route.. Until I ask them to stop and they continue..

Bottom line is I am not happy with whoever it is getting away with it, And I am tempted to just say fuck it and post the number on here and let you good chaps have some fun...

However I am reluctant to do so in case of any comeback.. Would that be classed as harassing him??

Either way the cunt has wound me up but I just don't want to change my number or drop it just cos a shitehouse who I might have rubbed up the wrong way won't have the balls to show himself...