You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jamie-H

60 apps

27 goals.

This season: 5 in 6 in the league. 6 in 8 overall. Yeah, there's a hat-tirck in there, but it's also scoring at least once in 4 of 8 games. 1 in 2.

Suarez is the problem.

Like I say, take the two Norwich games out of the equation and it's not brilliant for a striker, it's certainly not up there with the stats we enjoyed under Torres, Owen or Fowler. More akin to the Crouch numbers, who also enjoyed the odd hat-trick.

But...like I have said...maybe he's turned a corner.

People say to me, well he's not a proper striker really. But it's the only place he can play in a 4-3-3, he's not that effective out wide, he can't take on a full back like Sterling or Assaidi can, he hasn't got that pace.

I'd rather he scored the winner in six 1-0 wins than scored six goals in two games.

People say to me, well he's not a proper striker really. But it's the only place he can play in a 4-3-3, he's not that effective out wide, he can't take on a full back like Sterling or Assaidi can, he hasn't got that pace.

I'd rather he scored the winner in six 1-0 wins than scored six goals in two games.

Wrong he played right of a front 3 for Ajax and scored bucket loads.

The problem was that he was expected to carry the team singlehandedly after scoring some fantastic individual goals.

Now we have a different system with creative/intelligent players such as Suso, Sahin, Assaidi, Allen who can create the chances while Suarez can wreak havoc and score without having to think about dribbling around 4 defenders to get a shot off.

Wrong he played right of a front 3 for Ajax and scored bucket loads.

The problem was that he was expected to carry the team singlehandedly after scoring some fantastic individual goals.

Now we have a different system with creative/intelligent players such as Suso, Sahin, Assaidi, Allen who can create the chances while Suarez can wreak havoc and score without having to think about dribbling around 4 defenders to get a shot off.

Is right.

It does drive me a bit mad when people chose to identify our strongest players as the problem.

Idiots have been doing it for fucking years

Owen's one-dimensional

Gerrard lacks "game intelligence/ discipline"

Carragher makes too many challenges/ can't pass

Hyppia is too slow/ can't hold a high line

Torres sulks

Suarez dives/ can't finish/ should be dropped

Riise is useless

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I've not got a problem with criticising players, but wanting them dropped when there's no better option, or going for them before other players who are much worse, is a bit ridiculous.

04 October 2012

MEMORANDUM

It does drive me a bit mad when people chose to identify our strongest players as the problem.

That's a loaded statement.

We're in a system now, no more one-man shows should be needed if everyone does their job right. Suarez's job has been to finish chances, and we made a lot of chances that weren't finished.

Now, what is your definition of 'strongest player'?

I think that in order to classified as something special, that you do your basic job and then can do other lovely things on top of that. So, Suarez has done a lot of dribbling, wriggling away from opposition, chasing down, created chances....and that's great, but he was still not doing his primary job, and that was to score goals. So, no, I didn't consider him our strongest player for most of last season or this season.

Most talented? Yes, oodles of talent.

Pound for pound, doing your job to a high standard 8 or 9 games out of 10, we're still talking about Johnson, Agger, Lucas from last season, and now Allen, they're our strongest players.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We're in a system now

We're a few games into attempting to implement a system. If you think special players aren't needed anymore, you're out of your mind.

no more one-man shows should be needed if everyone does their job right. Suarez's job has been to finish chances, and we made a lot of chances that weren't finished.

Part of Suarez's job is to finish chances. We made some good chances, some bad chances. Some he created himself. He scored some, he missed some, some hit the post and some were saved. It was his first full year in this league and he was part of a team which was under-performing and set-up for wing play.

Now, what is your definition of 'strongest player'?

I said target our 'strongest players'. I'm talking about more than one. By that I mean one of the best in footballers in the squad. He is one of the best players in the squad, quite obviously.

I think that in order to classified as something special, that you do your basic job and then can do other lovely things on top of that. So, Suarez has done a lot of dribbling, wriggling away from opposition, chasing down, created chances....and that's great, but he was still not doing his primary job, and that was to score goals. So, no, I didn't consider him our strongest player for most of last season or this season.

He's the second highest scorer in the league, despite our tough start. He has scored in half the games he has started this season. He has scored 5 goals in 6 games and has created one.

The scoring goals part of his job is going quite well, thanks very much.

Owen's one-dimensional

Torres sulks

Riise is useless

But Riise was useless...

Owen's one-dimensional

Torres sulks

Riise is useless

Riise one of our strongest players?

He was a fucking liability for quite a few years before we finally got rid. He belongs nowhere near that list even when he played well at the tsart of his reds career.

Suarez is not "the problem", clearly, but our reliance on him is a problem, because he is not a reliable finisher. Once the goalscoring burden has been removed from him to some degree we will be a better, more dangerous team. We need an Aldridge to his Beardsley. Raheem can be the Barnes.

We're a few games into attempting to implement a system. If you think special players aren't needed anymore, you're out of your mind.

Part of Suarez's job is to finish chances. We made some good chances, some bad chances. Some he created himself. He scored some, he missed some, some hit the post and some were saved. It was his first full year in this league and he was part of a team which was under-performing and set-up for wing play.

I said target our 'strongest players'. I'm talking about more than one. By that I mean one of the best in footballers in the squad. He is one of the best players in the squad, quite obviously.

He's the second highest scorer in the league, despite our tough start. He has scored in half the games he has started this season. He has scored 5 goals in 6 games and has created one.

The scoring goals part of his job is going quite well, thanks very much.

Yeah but Suarez has had something like 20 chances to score. So clearly he should have 20 goals from those 6 games. Or something like that.

• 1 year later...

Interesting that, yeah it looks like Stevie wasn't too happy about him shitting out and he's pointing out this is ' Fukien English football lid'.

I just can't tell. He looks like he's giving him a bollocking but then why would Joao hug him? It looks like Stevie starts to mouth "well done" just as the video cuts.

I haven't watched the video but I seen it after the match and it looked to me like he was telling him to not give the ball away, he tried to make a pass to Suarez in the last couple minutes and it didn't reach him and Fulham broke from it if I remember. He should have just carried the ball or kept possession. That's what it looked like to me anyway.