You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dalglish: Stewart Downing is better than I thought

Guest LFD

Guest ShoePiss
Yup while we're at it, drop every player except Reina because they didnt score in the Spurs game. Schmuck.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that he means Maxi doesn't offer that much to the team beyond a goal now and again, you need him to contribute more to the general play than a goal every 3 games from him and he doesn't provide it. That's why he isn't picked more often.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that wag who said the cat had run past more player in 2 minutes than downing had all season, was quite funny.

Carroll has stepped up his game recently, downing needs to do the same. Hugging the line and getting to the bye line a few times in a game instead of cutting inside all the time might help get people on side though.

stepped up to what? Far from Downing fan here, but Carroll was playing so bad that he actually looked like a pub player, now that he's doing some decent things like winning headers, controlling the ball and generally not looking like a donkey, people are praising him like he's destroying teams. I want the guy to succeed like anyone else, but lets not twist the truth or lower the bar so much that he's doing well now

Guest ShoePiss
stepped up to what? Far from Downing fan here, but Carroll was playing so bad that he actually looked like a pub player, now that he's doing some decent things like winning headers, controlling the ball and generally not looking like a donkey, people are praising him like he's destroying teams. I want the guy to succeed like anyone else, but lets not twist the truth or lower the bar so much that he's doing well now

Let's just agree that in the last few games he's played a hell of a lot better than he has all season, hopefully he keeps growing in confidence and we have a useful member of the squad, one that we can sell and get something for in the future.

To be honest, it's not like Carroll's gone from complete donkey to completely average... He's gone from complete donkey to a bit of a handful.

That's a big change, but it's been small step, big jump, small step, medium jump, really. I reckon if he'll cause the mancs a nightmare, and allow Suarez some much needed space to create.

Downing started well, but his confidence took a dip, and he's bordered around completely average since then... I hope he picks his head up, because he's a good player and can offer more than he has so far.

Let's just agree that in the last few games he's played a hell of a lot better than he has all season, hopefully he keeps growing in confidence and we have a useful member of the squad, one that we can sell and get something for in the future.

I dont want to sh!t on the guy, but its annoying how some people are talking like he had a blinder against Spurs. He's been playing better the last few games, but hardly great. It all comes down to one thing. Does one believe Carroll has the attribute needed to become top class striker and a starter for Liverpool. Personally I think he has too many flaws in his game to ever be a starter. So its better to sell him in the summer while he still has good value, instead of keeping him as a backup striker for few years. 35 million was spent on him, yet people talk like he's just a kid learning his trade and one for the future. You dont spend 35 million on a player for the future i.e potential

Unless Maxi scores, it's like playing a game with a one player not on the pitch. He offers nothing unless he's on the score sheet.

Scoring is all well and good, and we definitely need more goals, but I can't stand watching Maxi on the pitch. He simply isn't able to perform on this level anymore, despite his finishing ability, and experience.

Nothing waffle about it. If he plays and doesn't score, then he's detrimental to the team.

I don't agree.

He doesn't shiut out of tackles like Downing does, for example.

He also plays the right way, he wants to pass the ball on the ground and he usually keeps possession really well.

Andy Carroll has been a very poor signing so far. We hoped we were signing the player we saw at Newcastle, but he has been off the pace, on the beer (allegedly), not fully fit and short of confidence, strength and any other redeeming quality that you could think of to at least give us a bit of hope that he might turn it around.

However...

From that terrible position he has started to look better just lately. He has been running. He does look to have more strength and he has been winning headers. No one in their right mind would say that the current player, even with the upturn in form, is worth anything like 35m. So there's no real case to be made that the player was poor value for money. We know that!

So, given where we are today, what are we to do? It would seem the sensible option would be to play him and see if the lad can build on the decent things he has been doing of late. If he can't, then we will have an expensive squad man on our hands for the future, or we will be looking to move him on at a huge loss in the summer. But if he can continue the upward trajectory, perhaps he can form a useful partnership with Suarez. Perhaps he can make some space for the magician. And perhaps with Stevie in behind them both we could see something that could spark a late run and might yet land us a champions league spot for next season.

I'm on the 'wait and see' bus, as we can't sell him now and he has picked up his form somewhat.

As for Downing - good start, then a dip in confidence and form. I think he is a good player, but he will never be anything like great. There is more to come from him in a red shirt.

Maxi is a passenger in most games,Downing gives the team much more. Kenny seems to agree too. If maxi was as good as you all make out, he'd be involved a lot more

What's the contribution from Downing in the league?? ?? Assist = 0, Goals = Zero

Dont get me started with his shit crossing ability, shit shot and long passes and others.

Kenny have a problem with Maxi the same as Rafa had a problem with Babel. Doesn't mean he is shit. Not every player the manager prefers to be in the team. That is the problem Kenny should look into. He should realise that Downing is just an average winger and Maxi is a decent player if given the chance to play.

What's the contribution from Downing in the league?? ?? Assist = 0, Goals = Zero

Dont get me started with his shit crossing ability, shit shot and long passes and others.

Kenny have a problem with Maxi the same as Rafa had a problem with Babel. Doesn't mean he is shit. Not every player the manager prefers to be in the team. That is the problem Kenny should look into. He should realise that Downing is just an average winger and Maxi is a decent player if given the chance to play.

Downing is a winger, Maxi isn't. If Maxi plays he plays out wide & he is not a wide man, Downing is and contributes to the team a lot more & gives us more balance. How shit have our forwards been this season? Is that Downings fault? Ok, he has no assists but you can twist the stats to suit your own argument, how about the amount of chances he has created? Its not his fault our forwards have been shite. As said earlier, if the forwards had been scoring, Downing would have a few assists to his name & would be getting talked about more positively.

Do you really think Rafa had a problem with Babel? Or was it just because Babel was shit, who contributed fuck all to the team. Dont think it was just Rafa who had a problem with Babel, i think 99% of our fans could see it too.

Downing is a winger, Maxi isn't. If Maxi plays he plays out wide & he is not a wide man, Downing is and contributes to the team a lot more & gives us more balance. How shit have our forwards been this season? Is that Downings fault? Ok, he has no assists but you can twist the stats to suit your own argument, how about the amount of chances he has created? Its not his fault our forwards have been shite. As said earlier, if the forwards had been scoring, Downing would have a few assists to his name & would be getting talked about more positively.

Do you really think Rafa had a problem with Babel? Or was it just because Babel had a problem with Babel, i think 99% of our fans could see it too.

What does Downing actually do? Simple question. All this he adds balance is and utilised to defend an underperforming player.

From all i can see he gets the ball ...he moves a couple of steps forward and then checks back as he doesnt have the confidence to take on a player

What does Downing actually do? Simple question. All this he adds balance is and utilised to defend an underperforming player.

From all i can see he gets the ball ...he moves a couple of steps forward and then checks back as he doesnt have the confidence to take on a player

Kenny must agree with me, so its not just me & Unrighteous. I rest my case.

Correct mate' date=' Kenny picks him because he thinks he might help to win the game. I cant think of any other reason why Kenny would pick him can you?[/quote']

Because he signed him?

He is playing Carroll and he has been poor all season, bar the last few games where he has been better.

Maxi wants to go back to Argentina and he'll probably leave this summer for that reason and because he is on 70k a week.

But I personally think Maxi is a better footballer than Downing and is more of a match winner and the stats back that up.

I'm sure Kenny picks the team to win, but he also has to give faith to his signings.

Maybe' date=' but why do you think you know Kenny's mind so much?

do you spend hours on the training ground assessing players and their injuries and such shit?[/quote']

I don't think I know Kenny's mind.

But Maxi has made it clear he wants to leave hasn't he? He is on big wages and is the type of player FSG want to cut down the big wages on - as he isn't a star, like Suarez or Gerrard. Also he is not young, at least 4 years younger than Downing - so he isn't really the future.

Kenny might have other reasons for playing Downing. Such as he looks better in training or he wants to give him as many chances to impress as he is a new player this season.

He might also think Downing offers more to the team, but if he does - I disagree. As we lack goals and Maxi is more of a match winner that Downing IMO.

What a shit argument. Kenny picks him so he must be good.

I think Kenny picks him because he believes can do good things. He isn't doing anything good, and hasn't most of the season, though.

Not really a shit argument tho mate, i happen to think Downing can contribute more than Maxi. Kenny, who obviously, has the clubs best interests at heart, has the same opinion as me. So the most important man at the club shares my opinion. I win

But honestly mate Maxi has been shit the last couple of times we have seen him.

Shit? He has been average.

But he always looks a different player when alongside Suarez.