You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Too much CGI, not enough plot. 3/5 for me.

Hmmm. I didn't notice that much CGI, and the sets are typically epic.

I didn't really understand all of the plot. But, like The Thing, I was a bit puzzled by some of the biological mechanics.

Hmmm. I didn't notice that much CGI, and the sets are typically epic.

I didn't really understand all of the plot. But, like The Thing, I was a bit puzzled by some of the biological mechanics.

Are the epic sets part of the problem?

The three alien films (forget resurection) were relatively claustrophobic so i'm wondering if the big epic open spaces detract from the feel of the film (although i haven't see it yet).

Brendan's quick review:

Jesus Christ!

How that was given a 15 certificate is a mystery

I thought someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Scott was insisting on an 18 rating?

Sell out!

Paves the way for the directors cut later.

Just watched this in 2D.

Rather underwhelming. Some of the acting is wooden. Some of the dialogue is awful and there are not many exciting sequences involving aliens.

It suffered from Star Wars Prequel syndrome ie we knew where the story begins and where it ends and it is just filling the gaps and killing time.

For spoilers see below

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Advanced creatures created life on Earth. We follow them to a particular planet. Turns out that planet they were using to create weapons of mass destruction and they had decided to destroy life on earth and start again. Why did they create us and why did they want to wipe us out. Simple because they can. When vastly superior life forms deal with inferior lifeforms they treat them with utter contempt and a complete lack of empathy the same way we do with animals in lab. Wow profound dude. Or rather not

Just watched this in 2D.

Rather underwhelming. Some of the acting is wooden. Some of the dialogue is awful and there are not many exciting sequences involving aliens.

It suffered from Star Wars Prequel syndrome ie we knew where the story begins and where it ends and it is just filling the gaps and killing time.

For spoilers see below

Advanced creatures created life on Earth. We follow them to a particular planet. Turns out that planet they were using to create weapons of mass destruction and they had decided to destroy life on earth and start again. Why did they create us and why did they want to wipe us out. Simple because they can. When vastly superior life forms deal with inferior lifeforms they treat them with utter contempt and a complete lack of empathy the same way we do with animals in lab. Wow profound dude. Or rather not

In his interview, Ridley said that this film should NOT be viewed as an "ALIEN prequel" per se.

Sure it is set in the same universe, but that he would envisage another 2 films to take events up to ALIEN. A bit like Phantom Menace to A New Hope?

i have to many unanswered question now that i have watched the movie.

<-- spoiler.

When the 3 Human/aliens were running in the hollo gram early in the movie and one of them got their head chopped off, what were they running away from and where were all the aliens that had spawned out of their bodies?

Not seen this yet, going to see it tomorrow, but interesting Mark Kermode comments on the BBC at the moment, saying he thinks some of the middling reviews are down to the fact people are expecting an alien film when in fact it's got more in common with things like Blade Runner, Star Trek etc. He makes reference to the dialogue, with alien being 'gritty', truckers in space 'when are we getting paid' style normal dialogue, wheras this is asking the big questions. Fair comment?

Not seen this yet, going to see it tomorrow, but interesting Mark Kermode comments on the BBC at the moment, saying he thinks some of the middling reviews are down to the fact people are expecting an alien film when in fact it's got more in common with things like Blade Runner, Star Trek etc. He makes reference to the dialogue, with alien being 'gritty', truckers in space 'when are we getting paid' style normal dialogue, whereas this is asking the big questions. Fair comment?

Not really, it doesn't work as an Aliens origin story (which is what it really is no matter how much they try to distance it) and as a stand alone 'explorers on another planet' story it a fairly generic average film that has been broadly told a million times.

It's not bad, it's not good it's all just a bit meh

On phone last time so couldn't go into too much detail.

The story for prometheus is pretty much the story for Alien vs Predator, Ancient civilisations reference the same alien beings despite being thousands of miles and many generations apart which peaks the interest of archaeologists who are sponsored by a large corporation (Weyland Industries which will eventually become Weyland Yutani of the Alien films) to discover the origins of these markings. Your usual group of scientists, soldier's, suits and big boss Weyland (Peter Weyland in Prometheus - Charles Weyland in AvP - Both of whom happen to be dying) explore the 'facility' and find out that it's not quite what they expected (in both films the facility has a military leaning - hunting ground for AvP, Weapon development in Prometheus) people get infected, people die, Weyland dies, something trys to escape (Alien + Ship in Prometheus, Alien Queen in AvP) the escape is foiled, the Alien is infected and killed by another Alien and the 'dead' Alien spawns a version of 'Alien' at the end.

The biggest problem is the film lacked any real emotion, I didn't care enough about the characters and so any threat (which mainly involved deepthroating the cock shaped aliens) had no real impact.

The comedy fell flat (at least in the viewing I went to) and it lacked any stand out 'Holy Shit' moments (John Hurst in Alien, Ripley vs Alien Queen in Aliens, Hulk Hulking out and destroying the Alien ship in Avengers, or fighting Loki, or punching Thor, or the Avengers finally going to fuck shit up after Coulson dies (for a more recent example), nothing that really raised the heart beat even a fraction.

It was just a decent sci-fi flick that will no doubt be a massive commercial success but not one I'd be desperate to go and see again or that i'd think about even hours after watching it.

I was a bit puzzled by some of the biological mechanics.

That was all a bit odd.

Black Ooze - Turns into little worms.

Little worms - Turn into giant infectious cock monster

Infected Men - Turned into some sort of Hector Hammond rage monster.

Infected Woman - give birth to the squid baby from MiB which turns into a giant face hugger.

Space Jockey - Gestates a retro Alien with a conehead despite being genetically identical to Humans.