You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw one or two middling Avengers reviews.

But nothing like the reaction to Prometheus, it was mostly good reviews for what it was.

Most people dissapointed were the film were really rooting for it to be good so it's more dissapointment than I told you so.

Edited by Cardie

I avoided all the build up for this, didn't take any notice. Love Alien and Alien 2, went to see this and as a stand alone sci fi film it's decent but it's got a dodgy script, some shite acting, no buildup tension but after all that it is watchable and it looks great for the most part.

Since it's related to the Alien films it's a massive letdown and it lacks any of the tension of those which is a shame.

Blockbuster movies have a real habit of being letdowns recently.

Haven't seen it yet but am still looking forward to seeing it despite the reviews; though there is definitely one part of the film I am really looking forward to seeing.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

The alien versus the monkey-with-a-knife fight

But nothing like the reaction to Prometheus, it was mostly good reviews for what it was.

Most people dissapointed were the film were really rooting for it to be good so it's more dissapointment than I told you so.

That's exactly right, with Ridley Scott's brilliant credentials many of us were hoping for something that would go down in folklore. I didn't hate it, I thought aspects of it were very good, it just didn't deliver against my hopes and expectations, maybe Ridley will address the criticisms in the sequel. It isn't just on here people are saying they're disappointed either, all the newspaper reviews I've seen have agreed with the general consensus of those on here who've seen it and said it was just average.

It's just a scifi film people. It's supposed to be entertaining, escapism. Not bloody life defining.

Big into your music aren't you? I hope you never criticise any music ever. Not Bob Dylan. Not Captain Beefheart. Nor Steps, or the latest X Factor dirge. After all, it's just something to listen to, isn't it?

It wasn't as good as perhaps I thought it might have been but nobody's ripped out my spleen or raped my cat. Chill the fuck out people.

I'd check your cats arsehole if I were you.

Big into your music aren't you? I hope you never criticise any music ever. Not Bob Dylan. Not Captain Beefheart. Nor Steps, or the latest X Factor dirge. After all, it's just something to listen to, isn't it?

I'd check your cats arsehole if I were you.

Ridiculous analogy.

Decent enough sci-fi film, probably between a 6 and a 7 out of 10, but fucking hell there's some baffling plot points in it though, although well played for having Theron in a skin tight jumpsuit, outstanding scenes.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

The alien that tops himself at the start of the film, why is the black fluid the stuff he uses to do it if it's a biological weapon? This was the act that seeded the earth isn't it? I thought it was supposed to be a military weapon?

Does the black fluid destroy your dna - or mutate it? As it seemed to do both.

Baffled by the ending, as once the engineer was in his seat and the ship lifted off, I thought it would crash on LV-426.

What the fuck have the alien eggs and facehuggers got to do with shit then?

Decent enough sci-fi film, probably between a 6 and a 7 out of 10, but fucking hell there's some baffling plot points in it though, although well played for having Theron in a skin tight jumpsuit, outstanding scenes.

The alien that tops himself at the start of the film, why is the black fluid the stuff he uses to do it if it's a biological weapon? This was the act that seeded the earth isn't it? I thought it was supposed to be a military weapon?

Baffled by the ending, as once the engineer was in his seat and the ship lifted off, I thought it would crash on LV-426.

Then I urge you to watch Aeon Flux.

Different Space Jockey, different planet. The space jockey at the start of Alien is apparently 2 films away. So we get three films of seeing gods continually fuck up and keep releasing a biological weapon on themselves.

I hardly ever go the cinema, as I usually just download stuff.

On the way to the cinema, me and my mate were saying how when ever we go to the cinema, the film always ends up being bad.

And it was, very disappointed.

Please dont make a sequel to the prequel.

5.5/10

That's exactly right, with Ridley Scott's brilliant credentials many of us were hoping for something that would go down in folklore. I didn't hate it, I thought aspects of it were very good, it just didn't deliver against my hopes and expectations, maybe Ridley will address the criticisms in the sequel. It isn't just on here people are saying they're disappointed either, all the newspaper reviews I've seen have agreed with the general consensus of those on here who've seen it and said it was just average.

Agree with both of these sentiments about the expectations. I haven't seen it yet, but it's becoming pretty clear from the reviews across the board that it's not the classic a lot of us had hoped it would be.

Let's face it, most on here won't as they enjoy moaning too much. It's a perfectly respectable scifi film but for most people on here unless it's a fucking masterpiece of '2001' proportions it's not good enough.

It's just a scifi film people. It's supposed to be entertaining, escapism.

Lurtz, this is more than just another film mate. It's the prequel to one of the most celebrated sci-fi sagas in film history, made by one of the most highly renowned directors of the last 40 years, who has been responsible for two of the greatest sci-fi films of all time including the one that began said saga. He's been given a massive budget, as well as film-making resources he couldn't have dreamed of when he made the original film, in order to realise a vision he's had for more than 30 years. He's spoken in interviews about how he wants to explore deep and significant themes with this film and to answer questions that fans have been asking for decades.

With that pedigree and potential, people are entitled to expect a bit more than just escapism and solid entertainment.

Different Space Jockey, different planet. The space jockey at the start of Alien is apparently 2 films away. So we get three films of seeing gods continually fuck up and keep releasing a biological weapon on themselves.

The way I see it goin you have this newly hatched alien and the thing thing on this planet as well as more ships and possibly more engineers hibernating. As far as lv 426 goes david and the rapaace bint are gonna fly to the engineers home planet presumably with stowaway alien, either they infect the planet of the engineers or perhaps when they leave this planet a engineer pursues them and the alien is onboard its ship and he crashlands on the planet ripley and co find in alien?

I see plenty of scope there so as bland as this film was Im hopeful it will get better.

As for the black liquid at the start, its obviously not the same stuff?