You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

supermarket own brand stuff....

withnail71

I used to like asda pizzas but gone off them a bit but had a dominos pizza a few weeks back and it was worse than asdas and nearly 3 times the price.

Domino's are shite, they just slap a whole packet of thick ham on everything hoping you'll think 'ooh the ham is bigger therefore it was worth paying £13 for a nine inch pizza'. I don't, big pile of wank.

• Upvote 1

Check you out, being all Southern!

I think its just the location of our nearest one.

Nah, its not, I can't stand them. Their fresh stuff is terrible, especially the fruit and veg. I'd rather go to the Lidl first, and the one by us is ropey as fook.

Besides darling, Waitrose is on my way home.

Nah, its not, I can't stand them. Their fresh stuff is terrible, especially the fruit and veg. I'd rather go to the Lidl first, and the one by us is ropey as fook.

I have honestly never been in a Waitrose. I don't even know where the nearest one is to us.

ASDA went seriously downhill when Wal Mart got its mits on it. The ASDA in Hunts Cross back in the day was Shangri la, Manta Force and danish pastries everywhere, well lit, some plastic shrubbery. Gradually though they just became glorified warehouses though, a real stack em high and grab a few fest. I don't think yanks get the British shopping mentality. People like to have a mooch when they go shopping over here, squeeze some plums (ooer) have a coffee in a nice cafe that's not buried under a landslide of plates full of half-eaten chips, wheras your yank family just turn up in their elmer fudd gear and grab 18 gallon cans of syrup which they pay 89 cents for, along with a few rounds of ammunition before they withdraw to the survivalist camp for the winter. Morrisons is where the party's at these days.

• Upvote 1

That's a whole heap o' wrong there Secsh. Granted some Asda stores are better than others and that's something that needs addressing (Adel in Leeds is a hellhole but Pudsey is fucking top notch). You should try one of the big Supercentres or one of the new small supermarkets, the ones that they bought from Netto and converted.

I have honestly never been in a Waitrose. I don't even know where the nearest one is to us.

probably Watford.

Some supermarket own brand stuff can be quite nice (obviously depending on tastes) a lot of it is fucking awful though and there is a clear difference between that & the so called major brand of whatever product it may be.

No Frills gear at the Kwikky. Now there was high class.

Aye, it started off as the kind of thing you'd get shit for in school but was soon turned around to be a kind of teen rebellion. No Frills plain crisps were like an early-90s version of Steve McQueen's red jacket.

What's this urban myth about own brand stuff being the same as the top brands just in different packaging?

Often that is the case. For instance, Weetabix make all the supermarket own brand wheat biscuits and they are identical except for the box. A lot of the time the own brands are made by the major brand but to a different - sometimes superior - specification.

ASDA went seriously downhill when Wal Mart got its mits on it. The ASDA in Hunts Cross back in the day was Shangri la, Manta Force and danish pastries everywhere, well lit, some plastic shrubbery. Gradually though they just became glorified warehouses though, a real stack em high and grab a few fest. I don't think yanks get the British shopping mentality. People like to have a mooch when they go shopping over here, squeeze some plums (ooer) have a coffee in a nice cafe that's not buried under a landslide of plates full of half-eaten chips, wheras your yank family just turn up in their elmer fudd gear and grab 18 gallon cans of syrup which they pay 89 cents for, along with a few rounds of ammunition before they withdraw to the survivalist camp for the winter. Morrisons is where the party's at these days.

Not keen on the one in Speke though.

probably Watford.

Some supermarket own brand stuff can be quite nice (obviously depending on tastes) a lot of it is fucking awful though and there is a clear difference between that & the so called major brand of whatever product it may be.

Nope,we have no Waitrose in Watford.We used to but that was before Asda turned ip 20 years ago.Mind you in them days Waitrose was a cheap supermarket.

We now only have Asda,2 Sainsburys, and over 4 tescos in a 5 mile radius.Oh and we have a Iceland somewhere aswell.

As has been said some stuff is ok but the majority is crap. Asda is also rubbish for fresh fruit and Veg.It's either the Market or Tesco for that and the butchers or Cost o for meat.

Don't know why but most of the women I see in the asda are all done up like they stopped for a quick shop before going clubbing. Thing is I normally go asda on the Sunday so they have no excuse. Even saw one done up like a school girl, Britney Spears style, on a SUNDAY AFTERNOON!!

Which asda is your local one? I'm going to start shopping there.

There's always kids running round in Asda whenever I go as well as some underage kids hanging round the alcohol aisle pondering what bottle to select.

That said, I rate the curries there and the ready meals are good.

It's not a supermarket but M&S food can't be beat (except for curries which Asda rules)