You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

Have any clubs signed anyone yet? I've never really understood why so little happens at the start of transfer windows and then there's a mad rush at the end. You would think clubs had realised what they needed months beforehand and would be ready to make a move at the first opportunity. Maybe it's just a case of clubs haggling over prices but for the sake of a couple of million it's counter productive. It gives the buying club less time to work with that player and the selling club less time to bring in replacements. I'm not just talking about us here but I get the impression that most teams don't really have any great strategy and just panic and buy often completely unsuitable players just before the window closes out of sheer desperation.

How many are penalties though? I've had a look on google myself for the answer but couldn't find a thing. He's always been penalty taker for most teams bar Spurs I'd say and that's bumped his goal tally up a bit when comparing to non pen taking strikers.

Would he get a look in here if Gerrard's fit?

I think we can do better but its not like we dont need another player who can take a penalty.

A very reliable poster on another forum said we were interested in Bent over a week ago...

Oh no. Oh, oh, oh, no.

Just where are we heading with this policy? There are reasons why Bent has never played for a top club at 27, just like there are reasons Downing hadn't.

They aren't good enough!!

Would he get a look in here if Gerrard's fit?

He should do.

You would have to think he can't be any worse than Carroll. Bent has that knack of being in the right place at the right time and he doesn't shit himself when he gets a chance.

Suarez can then get to play in a free role (Gerrard while Suarez is banned) and Gerrard can ply either on the right or in centre midfield. Suarez can even play wide if needs be.

But we should remember that in every game this season, except Spurs and Man City away, we have created enough chances to win everyone of those games. A player like Bent who can finish would certainly strengthen us.

Long term he isn't the answer, but then again he could be if he thrives. But let's get Bent, get top four and then worry about strengthing further. Top four has to be the priority and that is far more likely with Bent leading our line, than Carroll.

He should do.

You would have to think he can't be any worse than Carroll. Bent has that knack of being in the right place at the right time and he doesn't shit himself when he gets a chance.

Suarez can then get to play in a free role (Gerrard while Suarez is banned) and Gerrard can ply either on the right or in centre midfield. Suarez can even play wide if needs be.

But we should remember that in every game this season, except Spurs and Man City away, we have created enough chances to win everyone of those games. A player like Bent who can finish would certainly strengthen us.

Long term he isn't the answer, but then again he could be if he thrives. But let's get Bent, get top four and then worry about strengthing further. Top four has to be the priority and that is far more likely with Bent leading our line, than Carroll.

A look in at taking penalties I meant - sorry if it wasn't clear!

I thought we were playing some cracking stuff at the back end of last season. We looked like having the makings of a really good, slick pass and move outfit and I hoped to see us build on that in the summer. Instead, we got rid of the likes of Meireles and Aquilani, relegated Maxi to a fringe role and spent the bulk of our summer transfer business bringing in players whose primary function, as far as I could tell, was to pump balls into the box for our big, limited, English target man.

I think we were further away from being a slick pass and move outfit at the end of the summer transfer window than we were at the start and if our biggest signing this January is Darren Bent then we'll be further away still.

Having squandered millions on players to accommodate Andy Carroll, I wouldn't mind seeing us spending a few quid on the kind of players Luis Suarez thrives alongside (technically gifted, mobile, intelligent, quick of mind and foot, capable of give-and-gos in and around the box).

Or fuck it, we could just sign another limited Brit who has found his level at a midtable Premier League club and hope for the best.

Guest ShoePiss

I think people need to remember how shite Cole was for us, I couldn't give a fuck how well he's playing in France.

I've said it for a long time, the owners need to spend some of their own money if they want us to qualify for the CL this season.

I think people need to remember how shite Cole was for us, I couldn't give a fuck how well he's playing in France.

I've said it for a long time, the owners need to spend some of their own money if they want us to qualify for the CL this season.

Basically yeah. I usually make it a rule not to make ridiculous definitive statements of fact on here which are really just my own opinion.

But I'm pretty sure I can state as fact we won't make the CL without somebody in the team scoring goals regularly.

And its not really fact its just logic. So we either pray like fuck our lads start banging them in fairly consistently or Henry and Co. need to whip out the cheque book.

We're wasting our time if we end up buying some of these average joes being bandied about.

I personally think we're wasting our time full stop if we stick to the British/Premier League market for attacking players. There really is no one that will make us a CL contender currently available in the prem. The only ones that would actually improve us enough to finish in the top 4 play for teams above us in the table therefore won't come to us.

Cole got Hodgsoned.

Being asked to scrap in the middle like Spearing does. Not his game. I distinctly remeber seeing him in the centre circle virtually rugby tackling someone to get the ball and thinking then how badly utilised he was. It was beyond obvious.

Kenny never gave him a shot. Fair enough he failed to impress, for the above reason.

But i'm afraid Kennys judgement, where a player is concerned, maybe open to a bit of questioning right now.

Nowt to lose bringing him back.

We may even enhance his transfer value.

If we cant recall the loanees we should shift them and reinvest, surely spurs will take cole if someone merely asks Harry Redknapp if he thinks he is a terrific player and if Harry reckons it would be disrespectful to talk about a transfer while he is still on our books.

That will virtually seal the deal, he love wheelin and dealin does Harry.

As for Aquilani just get what you can there, our mistake there is loaning him out, you dont let people test drive a car you know will break down. *sold as seen on a garage forecourt.

Personally tho Id bring Cole back. I think the good ship aqilani has sailed since we bought henderson and Adam with spearing and shelvey, altho shelvey is no cm he can play AM, pushing through.

Rangers hotshot Jelavic admits he is keen on Liverpool move as Kuyt nears Anfield exit

By Brian Marjoribanks

Last updated at 11:23 PM on 4th January 2012

Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic, 26, admits to being flattered by reported interest in him from Liverpool, in a development that could hasten Dirk Kuyt’s departure from Anfield.

The development came as St Johnstone striker Francisco Sandaza prepared to reject a new deal from the Perth club - opening the way for a move to Rangers or Celtic, who have both been credited with an interest in the Spaniard.

As it is, former St Johnstone manager Derek McInnes is another interested party and could attempt to convince Sandaza that his future lies at Bristol City.

Jelavic, meanwhile, has attracted the attention of Liverpool, West Brom, Sunderland, Queens Park Rangers and Everton following a remarkable scoring record of 33 goals in 46 starts in Glasgow since moving from Rapid Vienna in August 2010.

His form also led the man who signed him, former Ibrox boss Walter Smith, to issue a stark warning recently that Rangers can kiss the SPL title goodbye if they sell the league's top scorer.

But last night Jelavic gave the green light to a move south as he admitted he would be 'fine' with it if financially-stricken Rangers decide to cash in on him before the transfer window shuts at the end of the month.

'Every day it appears a new club wants me and that's a little ridiculous,' said Jelavic, who is valued at up to £10million by the Scottish champions.

'I know nothing about any offers. I just want to concentrate on Rangers.

'I have another two-and-a-half years left of my contract but, if the club decides to sell me, because I know that we are in a difficult financial situation, then fine.

'Of course I am flattered about Liverpool, but I do not know how much truth there is.

'Therefore, I don't pay attention because I do not want to create additional pressure. 'My job is to play. Liverpool is a great name but, like I say, the question is how much are they really interested?'

Kuyt, 31, has attracted interest from Turkish side Galatasaray after becoming unsettled at Anfield, but is believed to be holding out for a more attractive move.

Nikica Jelavic keen on Liverpool move | Mail Online

I still dont understand why Kenny thought it was a good idea to complete fuck away the side that was doing well last season for players like downing and adam, think could realistically have been our team, and IMO would be better

Reina

Glen-Skrtel-Agger-Jose

Lucas-Raul

Gerrard-Aqua-Maxi

Suarez

Sorry you cannot tell me thats worse than what we have. Plus we could have still got Bellamy and Coates and Henderson and not had to completely change the style

The sad thing is, only one new player in that team, Jose, and maybe Bellamy rotating with Maxi

That team is the definition of pass and move