You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

So you didn't make any judgement about their ability before hand? What about predictions of how good/bad they'd be?

Well of course we all make predictions, but we never know until players actually start playing, do we? Predictions and judgements are two totally different things.

You must have a really sad life because you're clearly trying to get me to trip up here or something so that you can look good on the internet.

I can't even remember what I said last week never mind in the summer.

All I know is that i'm happy with how the team is progressing, which is all that matters.

Can't be arsed to look through the thread to see if this has been posted (bit pissed ) but apparently Liverpool are looking art Theo Walcott

Arsenal and Liverpool transfer news: Theo Walcott’s contract demands could lead to rivals switch | Give Me Football

Mind you further down it says Liverpool are not interested...think it is called edging their bets

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If I wanted to look good on the internet, I reckon I'd be less abusive to just about everybody. I've no interest in anything other than defending my opinions and not being ridiculed for calling it right.

As far as I'm concerned, I was too negative toward the second coming of Bellamy. I'm happy to admit where I'm wrong. What I'm not going to do is pretend Downing and Carroll have got something in them that they clearly haven't.

I'd agree with you that the team is progressing, but it's not because of Downing or Carroll. I want the team to do well, just like you. I think it's completely obvious that we could have spent our £55m a lot better. If we did, we'd likely be in a much better position. Isn't that what we all want?

If I wanted to look good on the internet, I reckon I'd be less abusive to just about everybody. I've no interest in anything other than defending my opinions and not being ridiculed for calling it right.

As far as I'm concerned, I was too negative toward the second coming of Bellamy. I'm happy to admit where I'm wrong. What I'm not going to do is pretend Downing and Carroll have got something in them that they clearly haven't.

I'd agree with you that the team is progressing, but it's not because of Downing or Carroll. I want the team to do well, just like you. I think it's completely obvious that we could have spent our £55m a lot better. If we did, we'd likely be in a much better position. Isn't that what we all want?

I'm sure everyone could say the same about signings (Chelsea with Torres, Mancs with De Gea, Veron, etc etc etc).

Some transfers work and others don't, for a variety of reasons. In my opinion it's better to wait and see how players do before saying the same thing over and over again and whinging about somethig that actually hasn't happened yet.

You said that we all want the same thing but you clearly also want to be right all the time as evidenced by your, 'you're always wrong', comment earlier.

We could have spent the £55M better (as things stand) but we also spent a lot of other money well so it is what it is.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If I predict something isn't going to work in the best interests of the club, I want to be wrong. It's really quite simple. I want what's best for the club, not to be correct on the internet. What I object to is you and others coming on here having jabs at people when you call it, in my opinion, wrong most of the time.

If I predict something isn't going to work in the best interests of the club, I want to be wrong. It's really quite simple. I want what's best for the club, not to be correct on the internet. What I object to is you and others coming on here having jabs at people when you call it, in my opinion, wrong most of the time.

Are you keeping a tally or something?! We all get some things right and some things wrong, who keeps score?

One thing I think is important though, is to wait and see what happens before boring the fuck out of everyone with the same shit over and over again.

You didn't want us to sign Downing in the summer and wanted Mata instead (realistic or not). You obviously feel that you were right so well done. That doesn't alter the fact that you come across as a dick back then and you are doing so now again (with all this 'little Englander' bullshit).

I'll leave you to get on with it anyway because it's already boring me (getting deja vu from the summer). Good luck with whatever predictions you come up with for any signings we do or don't make this month (i'm sure you'll let us all know, over and over again).

With regards to Carroll and Downing, it was a complete eye opener to see the difference between pre-Gerrard introduction carroll and post. The delivery that SG put was in a different world to what has been going on for the last half season. Much more akin to what Barton was doing last year at Newcastle - whipping them in from deep with accuracy. Although I'd rather our strikers not be so one dimensional, I'd rather us stick with AC and feed him that kind of service from the right with Henderson (who i reckon outs a deceny cross in) and SG than spunk money on someone else. Especially with many targets being in the CL. Teams will be well aware that any striker still in the CL has the opportunity to drive up their price with a decent showing in a high profile match.

Judging AC on the service he has had is a little unfair based on the other night for me.

Downing has been average too with poor crossing. Much less consistent with that than I was expecting from watching Villa. Looks like the England Downing for us which is basically a less confident, more headless version.

With regards to Carroll and Downing, it was a complete eye opener to see the difference between pre-Gerrard introduction carroll and post. The delivery that SG put was in a different world to what has been going on for the last half season. Much more akin to what Barton was doing last year at Newcastle - whipping them in from deep with accuracy. Although I'd rather our strikers not be so one dimensional, I'd rather us stick with AC and feed him that kind of service from the right with Henderson (who i reckon outs a deceny cross in) and SG than spunk money on someone else. Especially with many targets being in the CL. Teams will be well aware that any striker still in the CL has the opportunity to drive up their price with a decent showing in a high profile match.

Judging AC on the service he has had is a little unfair based on the other night for me.

Downing has been average too with poor crossing. Much less consistent with that than I was expecting from watching Villa. Looks like the England Downing for us which is basically a less confident, more headless version.

Good post agree with all that.

Downing has been disappointing and I would rather see Maxi or Bellamy out wide for us, simply because they are more scoring threats.

Downing hasn't been awful, he has been unlucky not to have a few goals or assists - but I have been disappointed mainyly with his crossing which I thought was much better at Villa last season.

Carroll did look a different player when Gerrard came on and with the right service he could be a handful.

Sell Downing and Carroll in the summer and sign someone who is capable enough to beat players from the byline and whip in crosses and a striker who have pace and score goals.

Kenny has to swallow his pride and raise his hands up and tell everyone that these two signings he made is a disaster. It doesn't work out for us. Time isn't something we have and i hope everyone know this.

Downing's hardly been a disaster. Underwhelming at times yes but by enlarge hes done his job, get the thing in the box. I'll admit I don't think hes the type of player to make us great but hes not been a disaster.

Exactly.

It's almost like the "Slating Stew-Crew" aren't watching the games and are only looking at the player's scoring record.

It's like because we paid a premium to get him, and he isn't Leo Messi, we need to replace him? Why? I don't understand. He's exactly what I thought we were buying: he's a good player. Nothing more, nothing less...

Exactly.

It's almost like the "Slating Stew-Crew" aren't watching the games and are only looking at the player's scoring record.

Yeah, the one thing that can't be argued with Downing is hes creating chances. I can understand the reasoning behind some people's critique of him because theres been days hes made me want to go insane but I think hes more than unlucky to not have a decent haul of assists so far.

The Daily Star Sunday claim that Theo Walcott and Arsenal are at WAR over his demand for a new £85,000-a-week, four-year deal. That’s put the England winger’s long-term Emirates future in real doubt - and alerted Premier League rivals Chelsea and Liverpool as well as mega-rich French outfit PSG and Italian giants Juventus.

He was also reportedly a Liverpool supporter but we decided not to bid on him when he was still playing for Southampton or we did I don't remember or just don't give a flying silverlining.

The Daily Star Sunday claim that Theo Walcott and Arsenal are at WAR over his demand for a new £85,000-a-week, four-year deal. That’s put the England winger’s long-term Emirates future in real doubt - and alerted Premier League rivals Chelsea and Liverpool as well as mega-rich French outfit PSG and Italian giants Juventus.

He was also reportedly a Liverpool supporter but we decided not to bid on him when he was still playing for Southampton or we did I don't remember or just don't give a flying silverlining.

I think our bid was only a few million... Arsenal got him for what? 12?

Downing's hardly been a disaster. Underwhelming at times yes but by enlarge hes done his job, get the thing in the box. I'll admit I don't think hes the type of player to make us great but hes not been a disaster.

Sorry i have a high quality control. When you say Downing's done his job, what exactly did you mean? Jogging for 5-10km each game? 50% passing completion? Beat 1-2 opposition player a couple of times during attacking play in the entire match? Or some random cross from the byline? or a couple of shots on goal?

Fucking hell. I, you and everyone else know, Downing have not been up to the standard. We need quality crosses from left and right(depending where he play), we need quality passes to team mates, we need him to have good positioning(he need to learn a thing or two from Maxi) and he also need to be brave enough to shoot on goal.

20 fucking million for him and this is the shit we got? At least Carroll has age on his side whereas Downing is simply an average player. Sell.

Its a shame transfer threads always get ruined by people insulting each other personally. It would be great if everyone who wants to bitch about each other like girls did it through PM instead of making everyone wade through pages of egotistical drivel.

I'm not engaging in it any more as it's a complete waste of time and it's ruining my (and obviously other people's) enjoyment of the forum. I've used the ignore function and suddenly everything looks a lot better.

Why not sign a striker who can finish gerrards world class crosses but als someone who can do it himself, ala torres.

Regarding Walcott, I would love him at LFC, he is an assist machien and would give us some real pace.

Get him for like 15-18M, would be a good signing.