You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spanish clubs unite against TV deal

tcb

The chairmen of all Primera clubs, except RM & Barca, are set to meet tomorrow to discuss possible actions against the distribution of tv-money under the current deal. They're apparently threatening to play their youth teams against barca and real!

Vival la revolucion!

To be fair to them. Something has got to give.

But, I dont think that they are so far ahead because they have much more money. They are so far ahead these days because both of them have the best team they've ever had and will have for some time.

There has always been an element of the two of them dominating spanish football, but you always got Valencia, Bilbao, Atletico Madrid winning the league every 4/5 years. Its not possible now because the big two have golden generations.

To bridge that gap these days is to give the others more money, which is a good thing.

But, I dont think that they are so far ahead because they have much more money. They are so far ahead these days because both of them have the best team they've ever had and will have for some time.

There has always been an element of the two of them dominating spanish football, but you always got Valencia, Bilbao, Atletico Madrid winning the league every 4/5 years. Its not possible now because the big two have golden generations.

To bridge that gap these days is to give the others more money, which is a good thing.

Yes because reals team is packed full of home grown players. Or maybe its the complete opposite. What are you talking about?

When you look at how the finances are setup over there, it's amazing how clubs like Valencia and Villarreal have managed to keep even within touching distance.

I think Italy reintroduced collective bargaining for broadcast revenues this year. Spain has to follow suit of they will end-up being an anemic league.

My point was mainly about Barca.

But only Barca could spend, what 60-70m, on a striker. Discard him after a season and bring in a 40m striker. Or pay 40m for a midfielder they don't really need for a couple of years. With that kind of flexibility it's easier to do well than for example @ most other clubs where they can't even afford to pay the wages of no-name players.

They haven't bought success like City, Chelsea and Madrid have tried to, but they wouldn't be 1/2 as successful without it IMO.

Since this is about the TV deal, it's worth pointing out that La Liga clubs get €612m a season, from which Real and Barca get around €120m each. This is just for domestic TV rights. Valencia, who finished 3rd last year, got €43m. Believe it or not, Blackpool in the Premier League last season got just €1m less than Valencia for domestic TV rights, and they finished in the bottom 3! The big problem is that La Liga is quickly becoming the procession that the SPL has been for years, when only 2 teams have any real hope of winning the title. If the other clubs are always behind, and cannot afford to pay big wages and have better squads, they have no chance of catching up.

Since this is about the TV deal, it's worth pointing out that La Liga clubs get €612m a season, from which Real and Barca get around €120m each. This is just for domestic TV rights. Valencia, who finished 3rd last year, got €43m. Believe it or not, Blackpool in the Premier League last season got just €1m less than Valencia for domestic TV rights, and they finished in the bottom 3! The big problem is that La Liga is quickly becoming the procession that the SPL has been for years, when only 2 teams have any real hope of winning the title. If the other clubs are always behind, and cannot afford to pay big wages and have better squads, they have no chance of catching up.

And Valdano's solution to this problem was not revenue sharing but for Madrid and Barca to leave the league!

Guest Gucci_Ledge

Personally I don't want anything to weaken Barca. They are single handedly stopping the Mancs equaling and inevitably overtaking our European Cup haul.

Personally I don't want anything to weaken Barca. They are single handedly stopping the Mancs equaling and inevitably overtaking our European Cup haul.

Interesting point but they would still be making more money than the other clubs in Spain with history and favorable tax rates to go along with it. In addition to big sponsorship deals and shirt sales. They would still be able to compete with the other top clubs in Europe. No doubt La Liga would be able to get more money for television rights if it was a really competitive league.

I see now that the meeting is scheduled for Thursday. 15 out of the 18 clubs have confirmed that they will atted, Sporting Gijon have declined. Their supporters are reportedly incensed and going "loco" on their forums.

Hopefully the mood will filter through to the management and the people will be heard.

They may both have golden generations but Real have got the most expensively assembled squad in football history. How can Valencia or Sevilla compete with that?

I agree with this but would also like to see collective TV rights over there to make the league more competitive, as the product is better than the PL, IMO.

The longer La Liga becomes a glorified SPL then the more it'll hurt Barca in the long run to play in a weak league because their TV revenue will end up going down anyway.

If Barca's revenue goes down as a result of collective TV rights then they'll just need to stretch their money better. Spanish football needs it.

Guest San Don

Its inevitable that if one or two teams 'duopolise' very large tv revenues, those teams will figure better and sign better quality players. This will lead to more success for those clubs.

Take chelshit in the PL. They were on the verge of going bankrupt and didnt have a team of note. OK their cash injection didnt come from tv but it shows huge amounts of money turn a nothing club into a successful club. Once the foothold of success is achieved, the club's finances grow as they get more income from sponsorship and other income streams.

While I agree its to one sided over there with TV money, the premier league system is ridiculous, no fuckin way Wigan should be on same rates as us and united, Sky and ESPN can charge more for advertising when we're on as viewing figures are higher, and we should be rewarded greater for it

We are paid more than Wigan, much more

We are paid more than Wigan, much more

I may be wrong on this but my belief is every team is guaranteed X amount of games, in which all teams are paid same amount. After that games are televised based on relevance to league, and teams are paid same fee per game.

So more your on the more your paid, but it's the same fee wether your us or Wigan

I may be wrong on this but my belief is every team is guaranteed X amount of games, in which all teams are paid same amount. After that games are televised based on relevance to league, and teams are paid same fee per game.

So more your on the more your paid, but it's the same fee wether your us or Wigan

And so regardless of the precise formula: Wigan end up with about 40m, us about 80m and United about 100m. Seems pretty fair to me.

It rewards success without risking cutting loose the smaller teams a la the SPL and spain. No doubt it could be improved but compared to everywhere else it's a pretty enlightened system.