You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

To be fair to Hodgson, this is what he has to pick from and who he can rely on getting goals for England.

Below you find the English players from the PL top 100 goalscoreres this season.

Its pretty grim reading.

English PL goalsscorers with assists 12/13:

7 Rickie Lambert Southampton FW 27(3) 13 4

10 Frank Lampard Chelsea M© 16(5) 12 -

11 Wayne Rooney Manchester United AM(CL),FW 17(4) 12 9

16 Theo Walcott Arsenal AM®,FW 18(7) 11 9

17 Adam Le Fondre Reading FW 10(18 ) 10 1

18 Jermain Defoe Tottenham FW 25(3) 10 3

26 Steven Gerrard Liverpool M© 30 8 9

31 Craig Gardner Sunderland D®,M(CR) 28(1) 6 2

33 Kevin Nolan West Ham AM© 26 6 2

38 Gabriel Agbonlahor Aston Villa AM(L),FW 17(4) 5 1

40 Grant Holt Norwich FW 22(4) 5 2

41 Jason Puncheon Southampton AM® 24(2) 5 1

44 Leighton Baines Everton D(L) 29 5 4

45 Leon Osman Everton M(CLR) 29 5 2

49 Peter Crouch Stoke FW 22(5) 5 3

54 Wayne Routledge Swansea AM(CLR) 23(5) 5 3

55 Aaron Lennon Tottenham AM® 28 4 6

56 Adam Johnson Sunderland AM(LR) 27 4 5

58 Anthony Pilkington Norwich M(LR) 22(3) 4 3

59 Bobby Zamora Queens Park Ran... FW 11(5) 4 -

63 Jay Rodriguez Southampton AM(L),FW 17(10) 4 4

64 Mark Noble West Ham DM© 24 4 2

70 Steve Sidwell Fulham M© 22(4) 4 2

72 Andy Carroll West Ham FW 14(2) 3 -

74 Cameron Jerome Stoke FW 4(14) 3 2

76 Danny Graham Swansea FW 10(8 ) 3 1

80 James Milner Manchester City M(CLR) 13(5) 3 1

83 Jonny Evans Manchester United D© 17(1) 3 1

86 Nathan Dyer Swansea AM® 19(10) 3 3

89 Russell Martin Norwich D(CR) 22(1) 3 -

92 Stewart Downing Liverpool M(LR) 18(3) 3 3

94 Adam Lallana Southampton AM(L) 20(3) 2 5

96 Carlton Cole West Ham FW 13(11) 2 1

98 Chris Baird Fulham D(CLR),DM© 14(5) 2 -

99 Chris Brunt West Bromwich Al... M(CLR) 19(7) 2 3

What the fuck is this?

If you are going to post you shite stats at least put a key with it.

I still can't believe he said this while he was our manager:

Everyone I know in football respects the job I’m doing here and aren’t too surprised it hasn’t been an easy start. In fact, 95 per cent would have predicted it as [Jose] Mourinho did. ‘Liverpool will get worse and worse’ is what he said and if the great man Mourinho says it, I don’t know why you don’t quote him.

He was our manager and he was predicting us to get worse and worse and trying to justify his job and performance because "the great Mourinho" said we'd do worse.

Absolutely woeful management!

The appointment of the current manager would suggest there is no desire for the national team to emerge from the darkness.

Last nights performance over the 90 minutes is all the proof you need.

Although I think that your assessment of Hodgson is right, I think the problems go beyond what any individual manager is likely to be able to put right.

Although I think that your assessment of Hodgson is right, I think the problems go beyond what any individual manager is likely to be able to put right.

Very true, it's always been this way for as long as I've been following football.

However as England Manager is he getting the most of the available players he has? No one is expecting England to beat a top international side, they haven't since beating Argentina in 2002.

It's not unreasonable looking at the quality of opposition in England's current group to expect them to qualify. I'd suggest that qualification for a major tournament is actually England's level and anything beyond that is a bonus.

Looking at the players Hodgson has available to him compared to Montenegro, Poland or Ukraine you'd have to say England have a better and bigger pool of talent available.

The campaign under Hodgdon has been floundering since the beginning and is just about to go completely off the rails. Woy's reaction will be to blame the players and to downgrade expectations. He started the latter already by suggesting that England may now have to qualify via the knock-out stages.

I'm just glad he's not managing us.

It never ceases to amaze me how utterly clueless he is, dreadful manager in every single aspect of the job, he's good at absolutely nothing. Said it any number of times but how the game has made this man a multi millionaire is something I will never, ever be able to get my head around. Staggering.

I still can't believe he said this while he was our manager:

He was our manager and he was predicting us to get worse and worse and trying to justify his job and performance because "the great Mourinho" said we'd do worse.

Absolutely woeful management!

Pales into insignificance with hoping Sir Alex could forgive him for taking the Liverpool job.

Pales into insignificance with hoping Sir Alex could forgive him for taking the Liverpool job.

I initially felt as angry as anyone with all the nonsense he spouted. Then I saw him speak during the squad's Christmas Alder Hey visit about how the hospital was "undoubtedly the second most renowned children's hospital in the country" and I realised just how little control the man has over his own words. He just talks, and lacks the basic ability to consider the ramifications of what he says.

Well quite - but, he is still symptomatic of the problem e.g. Managers appointed because of how they fit within the FA - not for their skills.

Since 1990 teams like Denmark and Greece have won the Euro, countelss poor teams have progressed to finals and semi finals (Germany in 02). Our record is abysmal, and I think you have a point that that problem is not just the manager.

But, he is still a useless cunt who has wisen far higher than his record and ability says he should. Liverpool and England in the past 2 years on the back of a UEFA cup final.

Rafa would get England to the Semi finals.

Why? (We should be able to see off a country like Montenegro comfortably)

It is self-evident how a country with a population of around 50m, and with the longest established tradition of league football in the world should be able to beat a coutntry with a population of around 650,000 and is the newsest member of FIFA.

Should does not equal will, it is possible that a country boasting just 11 18-30 year olds could win the world cup if, by chance, they were amongst the best footballers in the world, but it is unlikely.

There is a myth which has gained traction that our expectations are too high for England. Now I don't think that we are good enough to win the world cup, nor have a right to beat the big South American and European nations. But i do think that it is reasonable to expect us to perform better than we did against Montenegro.

The mentality of sleep walking to mediocrity affects some of our support too. Somehow its ok that we are off the pace again this season, and it is ok that our stadium isnt even in the top 60 by capacity in Europe.

Montenegro have done very well, they HAVE overachieved, the group table shows it. Why should we accept underachievement?

Well quite - but, he is still symptomatic of the problem e.g. Managers appointed because of how they fit within the FA - not for their skills.

Since 1990 teams like Denmark and Greece have won the Euro, countelss poor teams have progressed to finals and semi finals (Germany in 02). Our record is abysmal, and I think you have a point that that problem is not just the manager.

But, he is still a useless cunt who has wisen far higher than his record and ability says he should. Liverpool and England in the past 2 years on the back of a UEFA cup final.

Rafa would get England to the Semi finals.

I agree.

Modern England managerial appointments post Ramsey have all been about the nicest fit for the FA rather than the best footballing fit for the country.

Rafa would undoubtedly be in his element in International campaigns. I think he would have been ideal for last summer’s England Euro tournament only.

ButI doubt if even Rafa could get this lot through to a WC semi final.

We don't have one player as good as Jovetivic (not even Gerrard now), and possibly Vucinic also - the rest only need to be solid.

Gerrard's inability to impose himself for the 90 was a worry to me and sends out a message about how much of an impact he can have for us in the future.

Jovetivic is a good player- no doubt. The whole England team, with the exception of Rooney, has some sort of question mark against it. But that does not mean that as a team, man for man, we should not have been capable of beating Montenegro.

I agree.

Modern England managerial appointments post Ramsey have all been about the nicest fit for the FA rather than the best footballing fit for the country.

Rafa would undoubtedly be in his element in International campaigns. I think he would have been ideal for last summer’s England Euro tournament only.

ButI doubt if even Rafa could get this lot through to a WC semi final.

I'm far from the worlds biggest England fan but I do jump on the bandwagon during tournaments and am genuinely gutted when they eventually get knocked out.

For me England's biggest problem has been having weak managers who bow down the the FA. Going back to days when clough should have had the job, they wouldn't give it too him because he would have told them to fuck off.

cappello I thought would break the mould of keeping it 'The FA way' but given that they were paying his extortionate wages he did what they wanted. For example taking Beckham to the world cup as a fucking mascot. that was all about selling the england brand.

england need a manager in who wont be afraid to fuck gerrard, lampard, rio etc right off and start building now. without the fa making sure their poster boys are playing.

i've always thought Pearce would be a good england manager because he wont be afraid of tearing a strip off them if they are playing shit and i dont think he would be scared of fronting up the fa.

picking hodgson proves that the fa want complete control. hodgson's a fucking numpty.

Man for man is almost irrelevant when Hodgson is the manager. He's excellent at getting the very worst out of a decent group of players.

I also think there are certain positions that England simply don't produce good footballers. The England team would finish in the bottom half of the Premier League, and not because they don't have any quality, but because they don't have any foreign players to hold their hands. To do the things that might involve thinking.

Do you mean The Italian Job? The one with Marcotti?

Its no surprise Italians see it as a profession. They're taught about diet/tactics/how to act off the pitch etc by about the age of 11.

Mate of mine went to play in their C or D division a couple of years ago, and was amazed by it all.

Hodgson is a fucking prick, he managed to single handedly drain any enthusiasm I had for watching Liverpool with his embarassing press conferences and woeful tactics, I managed to always maintain my enthusiasm (along with a lot of worry) during the Hicks and Gillette reign of terror but Hodgson was just a nightmare, it got to the stage where had he not been sacked the morning before I was going to refuse to watch the Scum game in the FA Cup as I was convinced they'd put 5 past us with that moron in charge and I couldn't face it.

Don't get me wrong Hicks and Gillette were obviously far more damaging for the club overall but it was Hodgson who managed to make the on the pitch stuff unbareable

Hodgson is a fucking prick, he managed to single handedly drain any enthusiasm I had for watching Liverpool with his embarassing press conferences and woeful tactics, I managed to always maintain my enthusiasm (along with a lot of worry) during the Hicks and Gillette reign of terror but Hodgson was just a nightmare, it got to the stage where had he not been sacked the morning before I was going to refuse to watch the Scum game in the FA Cup as I was convinced they'd put 5 past us with that moron in charge and I couldn't face it.

Don't get me wrong Hicks and Gillette were obviously far more damaging for the club overall but it was Hodgson who managed to make the on the pitch stuff unbareable

Same for myself. Seeing Kenny instead of that press appointed jamook made me feel so good I almost didn't give a shit about the result, which given we were unfairly down to ten men for a large chunk of the game was a good effort.

Ha, bet that was some fucking experience. Plenty of characters in all levels of Italian footy, let alone the lower leagues.

He's in decent shape this lad, and was probably only 25 at the time, but said the first two weeks were ridiculous fitness wise. We may be able to jog around for 90 minutes here, but you're expected to be able to make sharp sprints in the final ten minutes of games there.

He's a fullback, that occasionally plays as a wide forward/winger. Said in the couple of games he played further forward he gained a proper appreciation for the dark arts.

Loved every minute of it by all accounts.

Standings:

Montenegro 6 4 2 0 14-3 14p

England 6 3 3 0 21-3 12p

Poland 5 2 2 1 11-6 8p

Ukraine 5 2 2 1 6-4 8p

Moldova 6 1 1 4 3-10 4p

San Marino 6 0 0 6 0-29 0p

Games:

Montenegro:

07/09/12 Montenegro 2:2 (2:1) Poland

11/09/12 San Marino 0:6 (0:2) Montenegro

16/10/12 Ukraine 0:1 (0:1) Montenegro

14/11/12 Montenegro 3:0 (2:0) San Marino

26/03/13 Montenegro 1:1 (0:1) England

England:

07/09/12 Moldova 0:5 (0:3) England

11/09/12 England 1:1 (0:1) Ukraine

12/10/12 England 5:0 (2:0) San Marino

17/10/12 Poland 1:1 (0:1) England

22/03/13 San Marino 0:8 (0:5) England

26/03/13 Montenegro 1:1 (0:1) England

Poland:

07/09/12 Montenegro 2:2 (2:1) Poland

11/09/12 Poland 2:0 (1:0) Moldova

17/10/12 Poland 1:1 (0:1) England

22/03/13 Poland 1:3 (1:3) Ukraine

26/03/13 Poland 5:0 (2:0) San Marino

Ukraine:

11/09/12 England 1:1 (0:1) Ukraine

12/10/12 Moldova 0:0 Ukraine

16/10/12 Ukraine 0:1 (0:1) Montenegro

22/03/13 Poland 1:3 (1:3) Ukraine

26/03/13 Ukraine 2:1 (0:0) Moldova

Coming fixtures:

Montenegro:

07/06/13 Montenegro - Ukraine

06/09/13 Poland - Montenegro

11/10/13 England - Montenegro

15/10/13 Montenegro - Moldova

England:

06/09/13 England - Moldova

10/09/13 Ukraine - England

11/10/13 England - Montenegro

15/10/13 England - Poland

Poland:

07/06/13 Moldova - Poland

06/09/13 Poland - Montenegro

10/09/13 San Marino - Poland

11/10/13 Ukraine - Poland

15/10/13 England - Poland

Ukraine:

06/09/13 Ukraine - San Marino

10/09/13 Ukraine - England

11/10/13 Ukraine - Poland

15/10/13 San Marino - Ukraine

The tide seems to be turning. Even Bluto is mildly hammering him in the Mail today. They seem surprised that he sits motionless and clueless on the bench when his team are faltering. They seem shocked that he has become prickly in the media now the pressure has moved up a notch. His Liverpool tenure really was a huge southern press blind spot, because no one who watched him for that horrific 6months at Anfield is even remotely surprised by the fact his England side have only beaten Moldova and San Marino in qualifying.