You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Malaysia XI V Liverpool FC

Guest Jon Snow

Kenny will have a hell of a job on his hands getting Adam and Gerrard to play together. For me, they're too similar in that they like to play direct balls over the top and are a little lazy tracking back. I haven't been too impressed with Adam in Asia - especially not the expectation that he will be our Alonso. He seems very one-dimensional, only ever seeing the obvious pass. His technical ability is great but in that area of the park reading of the play, and being able to turn out of trouble is just as important.

The goals we've leaked show our defence is really vulnerable without midfield protection. Seems like Lucas, who isn't good enough, will again be a key player this season. :(

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny will have a hell of a job on his hands getting Adam and Gerrard to play together. For me, they're too similar in that they like to play direct balls over the top and are a little lazy tracking back. I haven't been too impressed with Adam in Asia - especially not the expectation that he will be our Alonso. He seems very one-dimensional, only ever seeing the obvious pass. His technical ability is great but in that area of the park reading of the play, and being able to turn out of trouble is just as important.

The goals we've leaked show our defence is really vulnerable without midfield protection. Seems like Lucas, who isn't good enough, will again be a key player this season. :(

I think that was a bit of both today, poor defending especially from Wilson, and no protection from the midfield

You may be right to be fair, just watching the game though it looks like Kennys praise of him is going to his head.

i think he definetly needs to go on loan this season to a prem club for experience.

I've seen most of Shelvey's time on the pitch since he joined and honestly dont understand what his talent is meant to be tho I know he was/is highly rated.He certainly doesnt value possession highly and is quite lazy at times in tracking back.

The minute Aquilani got himself fit and put a string of games together at the end of his first season at Liverpool, i was sold that he would and could be a big player for us.

I dont think or feel like he was given adequate time and patience to familiarise himself with the english game and the club, I felt people jumped the gun too early on him with calls to be sold etc.

Should never have loaned him out and should not think of selling him. He will be a vital cog for us given he stays injury free. A ball player who has excellent vision and generally makes things happen.

I've seen most of Shelvey's time on the pitch since he joined and honestly dont understand what his talent is meant to be tho I know he was/is highly rated.He certainly doesnt value possession highly and is quite lazy at times in tracking back.

I totally agree with this comment, however it is way too early to make any sort of definitive call or judgement on him given his age and experience level

I know what you mean. He hasn't shown much, but I saw him play for Charlton and what he did really well was move the ball quickly and into dangerous positions. He was 1/2 a step ahead of everyone else on the pitch. Almost every pass he made (slight exaggeration, but run with me here), put the opposition under pressure.

When I saw him, he was playing the free role. So the fact he hasn't mastered the decision making required for a more conventional CM role isn't a surprise. It'll take time.

The minute Aquilani got himself fit and put a string of games together at the end of his first season at Liverpool, i was sold that he would and could be a big player for us.

I dont think or feel like he was given adequate time and patience to familiarise himself with the english game and the club, I felt people jumped the gun too early on him with calls to be sold etc.

Should never have loaned him out and should not think of selling him. He will be a vital cog for us given he stays injury free. A ball player who has excellent vision and generally makes things happen.

The problem with Aquilani isn't one of quality. It's whether his head is right and whether his style of play will fit with the template KD is moving to. It seems to me Aquilani just doesn't want to (or can't) live in England.

Some knee jerks in this thread, positive and negative re: Aquilani and Shelvey.

It's a pre season game.

Not knee jerks from me, i always thought Aquilani deserved more of a chance

after we got him clear of his ankle injury. And always struggled to see the hype over Shelvey who desperately needs time out on loan.

The problem with Aquilani isn't one of quality. It's whether his head is right and whether his style of play will fit with the template KD is moving to. It seems to me Aquilani just doesn't want to (or can't) live in England.

See i want to know where this belief comes from, to me he was treated badly last summer by a chief exec who thought he was a manager in waiting.

If i remember he never moaned about not being able to settle, and after his injury had some good games providing assists everywhere.

I believe the only reason his agent was hawking him round serie a clubs is he believed Liverpool didnt want him. If he is now trying to prove to Kenny how much he wants to stay and be a part of his squad and Kenny has faith in him, i think he could turn into a fantastic asset for us.

See i want to know where this belief comes from, to me he was treated badly last summer by a chief exec who thought he was a manager in waiting.

If i remember he never moaned about not being able to settle, and after his injury had some good games providing assists everywhere.

I believe the only reason his agent was hawking him round serie a clubs is he believed Liverpool didnt want him. If he is now trying to prove to Kenny how much he wants to stay and be a part of his squad and Kenny has faith in him, i think he could turn into a fantastic asset for us.

Actually, you are probably right about how he came to decide that this was not the place for him, but he's clearly of the mind now that he'd rather be back home. He's said many, many times he wants to go back to Italy and he hasn't stopped his agent looking.

I'm not attaching blame to him, or anyone really, it just looks as though he's written Liverpool off as a bad experience and is ready to move on.

I think it's a shame, if he wanted to stay and was willing to put in the 120% that it'd need for him to adapt and succeed, he'd be fantastic and a good complement to the other midfielders we have now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Judging players on how they've played so far is a bit stupid. "All of you are gays, gays, gays. All of you are gays, gays, gays."

I was listening to something before, couple of lads arguing about Andy Carrol. One was basically saying that Downing and Adam will bring out the best in him, and that he's not really been fit whilst he's been here. The other was saying that nobody can make him quicker or improve his touch, and that he's a massive waste of money. I think it's a bit to early to judge him, but I can't say I've been impressed so far.

Guest davelfc
I think it's a bit to early to judge him, but I can't say I've been impressed so far.

Thank god you are reserving judgement then.

Given time, Carroll will prove to be a great signing I reckon.

Saw him on the telly playing for Newcastle last year and he was bullying centre backs.

Mongo Terry was shit scared of Carroll, and got batterred black and blue when they played them.

Yeah, I also remember the Arsenal game early in the season when he scored from a free-kick (I think). He murdered the Arsenal back four that day, if he reproduces that type of form then I've no worries.