You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

17 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I know Starmer likes to suck up to the right wing press, but surely more should be made of the fact that the principal shareholder of the Mail, pushing Brexit and condemning workers as unpatriotic is a British guy and Tory peer but living as a non-Dom in France.

I think the Mail itself is registered overseas as a tax dodge.

It's also mad how comfortable everybody is with the amount of influence over successive UK governments is wielded by an Australian-American with a face like Palpatine's ballbag.

• Upvote 1

Call my maths here Kwarteng mad, but maybe if we got back the over £122 million stolen by the Tory peer Michelle Mone, to fund her obnoxious lifestyle, we could; give that money to the nurses and ambulance staff to cover their pay shortfall and retain these key workers.

Kwarteng maths I know, but hey, I’m at the table negotiating maffs. 

6 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Call my maths here Kwarteng mad, but maybe if we got back the over £122 million stolen by the Tory peer Michelle Mone, to fund her obnoxious lifestyle, we could; give that money to the nurses and ambulance staff to cover their pay shortfall and retain these key workers.

Kwarteng maths I know, but hey, I’m at the table negotiating maffs. 

Another woke lefty 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/12/2022 at 09:39, Gnasher said:

It's as plain as day privatisation has been a disaster for Rail/Water/Mail etc and if we are ever going to have good public services where staff are paid a decent wage the rich are going to have to contribute. 

Today's Guardian...

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/dec/19/call-for-wealth-tax-as-uk-billionaire-numbers-up-by-20-since-pandemic

Here's Rachel Reeves emphatic "no" earlier this year to Ben Shepards perfectly reasonable questions on the wealthy contributing more.

She actually looks and sounds insulted to be asked the question. 

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2023/jan/16/oxfam-calls-for-new-taxes-on-super-rich-pocket-dollar-26tn-start-of-pandemic-davos

2 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

NEU members out over February and March. 

Remember how much you wished we were there during lockdown, how hard teaching your own child was? All day every day and some without a pay rise in a decade.

Back the teachers. 

Yep, Mrs voted. The other union that didn't get 50% is holding a new vote now too.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Someone needs to get all these people together, like Cyrus in The Warriors - he's the one and only. 

The performing arts teachers would turn up on roller boots, the PE teachers with rounders bats and the rail workers with hard hats and high-vis vests. 

RE teachers floating on carpets, music teachers all playing the cello, history teachers on penny farthings. Paramedics covered in blood 

• Upvote 1

Head of the Royal Mail Simon Thompson is having a fucking nightmare this morning. This country is crying out for common ownership and a wealth tax to invest back into public services.

As a mate of mine recently said "they're having a disco up there"