You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

Teachers out in their tens of thousands today in the 2nd of 4 days of strikes planned. 

Not much media coverage prior to it. Thousands of schools closed completely for children due to teachers being over worked, under resourced and under paid. 

Support your teachers. If you didn't have any you couldn't read my ranting posts 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

26 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Teachers out in their tens of thousands today in the 2nd of 4 days of strikes planned. 

Not much media coverage prior to it. Thousands of schools closed completely for children due to teachers being over worked, under resourced and under paid. 

Support your teachers. If you didn't have any you couldn't read my ranting posts 

Wondered why the roads were holiday-empty this morning. Good on them. Another profession being treated shamefully.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Dbs mate

We had a meeting last week and I think they have to reballot all the members again as its only valid for 6 months?

I haven't heard that. There is a civil service forum on reddit which is worth looking at. For a lot of managers this is all new so they don't know all the rules.

As as example I mentioned the strike and my manager asked was I planning to strike which he's not allowed to. I let him know that although he's sound and confirmed he will be.

1 hour ago, littletedwest said:

I haven't heard that. There is a civil service forum on reddit which is worth looking at. For a lot of managers this is all new so they don't know all the rules.

As as example I mentioned the strike and my manager asked was I planning to strike which he's not allowed to. I let him know that although he's sound and confirmed he will be.

yep im fairly sure thats right

yep from the PCS website

our current 6-month legal mandate for strike action in 124 groups expires on 6 May, so to continue our industrial action campaign our national executive committee agreed we need to ballot members again.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

NEU, ASCL and NAHT reject the latest pay offer for teachers, so we'll be out again at the end of April and start of May. 

Offer was a one off £1000 taxable bonus and between 4.3% and 4.5% payrise. 

Not only is that a bit shit, but the main issue is that only the £1000 and 0.5% of that payrise is being funded by the government.  The rest would have to be paid by the schools from their budget.  This would result in support staff (think TAs, welfare, pastoral) being laid off to cover the cost of the payrise. The fact the headteacher's union (NAHT) have rejected this by 90% tells you all you need to know. 

You'll no doubt see headlines coming up about greedy teachers are turning down a payrise that loads of people would love during the cost of living crisis.  The offer has been turned down because primarily it'll mean that our already skint schools will have even less. Less staff, less pencils, less books, less heating (not even messing), less facilities and ultimately less well educated and cared-for children.   You'll see headlines about how teachers going out will impact exams which are imminent.  Well, it probably will.  Teachers who have exam year classes (myself included) will agonise over this and the impact it might have on our classes.  We're fighting for the children. 

Fuck the Tories and fuck the scabs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

1 minute ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

NEU, ASCL and NAHT reject the latest pay offer for teachers, so we'll be out again at the end of April and start of May. 

Offer was a one off £1000 taxable bonus and between 4.3% and 4.5% payrise. 

Not only is that a bit shit, but the main issue is that only the £1000 and 0.5% of that payrise is being funded by the government.  The rest would have to be paid by the schools from their budget.  This would result in support staff (think TAs, welfare, pastoral) being laid off to cover the cost of the payrise. The fact the headteacher's union (NAHT) have rejected this by 90% tells you all you need to know. 

You'll no doubt see headlines coming up about greedy teachers are turning down a payrise that loads of people would love during the cost of living crisis.  The offer has been turned down because primarily it'll mean that our already skint schools will have even less. Less staff, less pencils, less books, less heating (not even messing), less facilities and ultimately less well educated and cared-for children.   You'll see headlines about how teachers going out will impact exams which are imminent.  Well, it probably will.  Teachers who have exam year classes (myself included) will agonise over this and the impact it might have on our classes.  We're fighting for the children. 

Fuck the Tories and fuck the scabs.

Loads of headships going in Liverpool at the moment and nobody wants them.

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Loads of headships going in Liverpool at the moment and nobody wants them.

Yup. 

Heads are leaving because it's an impossible job. x% of children need to be doing this, but here's less money, less staff, less resources.  Not hitting these targets?  Fuck you - inadequate school which will be forced to be academy. 

Teachers are leaving for the same reason.  Got to do more with less. I've only been doing it 5 minutes, but since I because a teacher I know of 4 young teachers who have left the profession all together.  Others including them have been off on work related stress.  I retrained late so feel better equipped to deal with the pressures of the job but for the young it can be completely demoralising and destroy their confidence.  

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Yup. 

Heads are leaving because it's an impossible job. x% of children need to be doing this, but here's less money, less staff, less resources.  Not hitting these targets?  Fuck you - inadequate school which will be forced to be academy. 

Teachers are leaving for the same reason.  Got to do more with less. I've only been doing it 5 minutes, but since I because a teacher I know of 4 young teachers who have left the profession all together.  Others including them have been off on work related stress.  I retrained late so feel better equipped to deal with the pressures of the job but for the young it can be completely demoralising and destroy their confidence.  

My niece was an English teacher and spewed it to drive a van for Royal Mail. She works somewhere else now, office work. My cousin taught English in Spain, moved back here for some reason and had a business importing/exporting cars.

49 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Yup. 

I read an article this week about the privatisation of the US public school system in places like New Orleans post Katrina, Chicago and Philadelphia. Is Academisation the same thing, privatisation dressed up as “choice”? 

It’s not like school kids in many parts of Liverpool and Merseyside

don’t already face growing challenges in every day life. The one place they should be getting a fair deal is school. 

This is the article. Some parallels for me. Super heads and management techniques. 

https://popularresistance.org/he-sold-our-schools-off-to-the-highest-bidder/

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

NEU reballoting again and NASWUT too. Most schools will be shut completely during the next strikes. Government not willing to take .money from their mates and give it to our children. 

Fuck the tories and fuck scabs 

Only a limited time left for them to raid the piggy bank for themselves and their friends. Priorities.

On 02/05/2023 at 15:40, Section_31 said:

Anyone who's ever seen Star trek V - which was written during the writers' strike - will understand the importance of writers. 

Dumbo is a scab film, too (hence the flat, cheap appearance compared to the gorgeous lushness of Disney's earlier films).  It's why Walt put in the drunken clowns singing "we're going to hit the big boss for a raise".

• Upvote 1