You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina continues to ready the fans for summer move.

Horus

I'd rather Gulacsi than Given. He's shite.

I think the rumours are just because Kenny signed him a couple of times as a youngster - And he was a very promising keeper in his earlier days, he just never developed a rounded game. I'd like to think the current owners and DoF wouldn't sanction this sort of deal.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the rumours are just because Kenny signed him a couple of times as a youngster - And he was a very promising keeper in his earlier days, he just never developed a rounded game. I'd like to think the current owners and DoF wouldn't sanction this sort of deal.

I'm flogging a dead horse here I see with fellow LFC fans but I do rate him and think his reputation has been tarnished by playing his days out in front of Newcastle defences. Not sure how old he even is now, must be getting on a bit.

I'd also take Cudicini if pushed.

Hopefully Reina will stay and we won't have to worry about it.

I'm flogging a dead horse here I see with fellow LFC fans but I do rate him and think his reputation has been tarnished by playing his days out in front of Newcastle defences. Not sure how old he even is now, must be getting on a bit.

I'd also take Cudicini if pushed.

Hopefully Reina will stay and we won't have to worry about it.

Kirk_yells_in_anger.jpg

I really think that a goalie should spend most of his time BEHIND the defence.

At Newcastle, the defenders just stand on the line and get in your way, waiting for their chance to bundle one over their own line and score another own goal.

As a keeper you have no chance and conclude that your best off doing the defending yourself as well.

PEPE REINA hopes Kenny Dalglish will remain as Liverpool manager beyond the end of the season, and has likened his boss to Barcelona’s Pep Guardiola.

Dalglish’s emotional return to the Anfield hot seat in January has triggered an upsurge in the Reds’ form, with only Premier League leaders Manchester United collecting more points in the time since.

And Reina, an ever-present in the league this season, believes Dalglish, whose current deal at Anfield runs only until the season’s end, should be handed the reins on a permanent basis, and says the Scot can take the Reds back towards the top of the table, if given the chance.

“We all want him to stay,” the Spaniard said. “If he stays here on a long-term basis, I would be very happy. Like the rest of the lads.

“We have improved since Kenny became manager. We have beaten all of the big teams. But it is important as players to repeat that in every game. We need to be consistent; with the aggression and commitment, everything.

“We cannot just perform against the top sides because a season is 10 months long. If we get the balance right, we’ll be a lot, lot closer to where we want to be. We started this season, and the last one, not the best. Next time, we need to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

Reina says he has been impressed by the manner in which Dalglish has transformed a squad that had appeared to have lost its way under previous manager Roy Hodgson, and has likened the 60-year-old’s impact to that made by Barca boss Guardiola upon his arrival at Camp Nou back in 2008.

“Guardiola is a bit younger than him of course,” he said,

“But they have very similar backgrounds – they are both icons as players and great managers as well.

“It is important that Kenny knows the club. He is a legend in Liverpool – and I mean a legend because sometimes that word is used too much for other people.

“Kenny knows exactly what people think, and what the supporters want to see.

“Because he was a great player himself, he understands the point of view of a player, and that means he knows how to set standards and what is acceptable to us. He makes everything much easier for us.”

Reina’s own future at Anfield has been shrouded in doubt throughout the past few months, with a host of top European clubs said to be vying to tempt the former Villarreal stopper away from Merseyside.

But the 28-year-old says he is focusing only on Liverpool, and on improving his own personal form.

“I know I could play a lot better,” said Reina. “Throughout the whole year my levels must improve.

“I am looking forward to the next one to prove myself again. I think as a squad we all feel the same. (I have to) Train hard, to listen to the coaches, managers, team-mates and to try to be as complete as possible. Nobody is the perfect player, you are always learning. I have played 450 games, which is a lot for someone of my age.

“I am happy, but I would like to play another 450 at the highest level.”

“It has been a really tough season for every team,” said Reina.

“Hopefully (Suarez and Carroll) are the beginning of some great buys by the owners,” added the Liverpool goalkeeper.

-------------

I honestly think that Reina is looking to stay here. He's not a total fucking idiot like other Spaniards I know of. If he sees that we are progressing and that the owners are really going to try their best for the club, then I reckon that's all the convincing he will need.

I'd honestly worry if he left, not because we'd need a new goalkeeper, but because whatever FSG were working on hadn't convinced him.

» TonyBarretTimes Tony Barrett

For those asking about Pepe Reina's future, it's starting to look more likely that he'll be staying rather than going. . . . . .

bensmith_Times Ben Smith

#LFC fans should buy The Times tomorrow. More cause for optimism via @TonyBarretTimes

The cynic in me thinks he's not really got any viable alternative to staying another season. He doesn't wanna go back to Spain; United are on the brink of signing De Gea (fnar!) and Arsenal are a fucking shambles.

He may have been forced into it. Not that that's a bad thing, as he's a great player, obv. I'd just rather have players who truly want to be here than ones who are here by default.

The legacy of Fernando Torres, probably.

Guest ShoePiss
It's hardly the papers if it's direct quotes though is it?

No I agree, are there direct quotes from him saying I will 100% be playing for lfc next season?

Think it's not quite right to say how things have worked out for Torres might affect pepes decision. They play at opposite ends of the pitch so Torres will be in the spotlight to score where as that pressure is not on a GK at a new club.

Think it's not quite right to say how things have worked out for Torres might affect pepes decision. They play at opposite ends of the pitch so Torres will be in the spotlight to score where as that pressure is not on a GK at a new club.

So if he is shipping goals in his first few matches because off a new defensive system there wouldn't be any pressure?

So if he is shipping goals in his first few matches because off a new defensive system there wouldn't be any pressure?

He would only be going to a top club. They don't ship goals. Unless he is making glaring errors then I doubt the pressure is as intense as a strikers.

The cynic in me thinks he's not really got any viable alternative to staying another season. He doesn't wanna go back to Spain; United are on the brink of signing De Gea (fnar!) and Arsenal are a fucking shambles.

He may have been forced into it. Not that that's a bad thing, as he's a great player, obv. I'd just rather have players who truly want to be here than ones who are here by default.

i always thought this wasn't as clear cut as people say as his supposed escape clause is 20m and his apparent desire to stay in england. We all know he is worth that as he's brilliant, but the only team who might think about spending 20m on a keeper would be city imo and keeper is probably their strongest position. The mancs are short of money and their squad needs players all over the place. arsenal never seem to spend, despite the the obvious gain of a goal keeper who can keep goal and a center back who could defend. chelsea i imagine have just blown their load in january - they also seem content with cech. that leaves city and spurs - even if they had the money or the inclination to buy him, it would seem unlikely he'd choose them as he supposedly wants to be at clubs who win trophies and neither appear any better than us.

lots of people in jobs go through spells where they don't want to be where they are and then after having a look at what else is out there realise what they have is not so bad after all. that's not a bad thing, in fact can often make someone more content at their work. hopefully this will be the case with pepe.

This is how I see it too. He has to look around and think that he doesn't really have any options that are better than what he has here. He'd be a moron to leave here right now, there's a buzz about the place and he should at least give it another year to see how things go.

What's the alternative? Arsenal? Haha. The mancs? He'd be a complete cunt if he did that, assuming they even want him as it looks like they're in for the Atletico keeper.

Atletico would be another option, and if he said he wanted to go there as it was his dad's team and he wants to go home, I'd be fine with that and would respect the decision.

Anywhere else, especially in England, and I'd think he's just an idiot who would live to regret his decision.

I don't think he's an idiot, so I think he'll stay here because it is by far the best option for him.