You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reina continues to ready the fans for summer move.

Horus

Pepe Reina says he wants to stay and 'fight for titles' at Liverpool

• 'I am happy, calm and comfortable here,' says Reina

• Keeper had hinted he might leave if club could not compete

The Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has eased fears at the club that he may try to leave this summer by talking openly about his desire to stay and "fight for titles" at Anfield.

The Spain international had suggested previously this season that he might try to further his career away from Liverpool, like Xabi Alonso and Fernando Torres, if the club failed to meet his ambitions. But the 28-year-old, who is believed to have a £20m release clause in his current five-year contract, now appears to see a future for himself at a club that has been rejuvenated under the caretaker manager, Kenny Dalglish.

"I am happy, calm and comfortable here," Reina told the Spanish radio station Cadena Cope. "[i am] looking towards the future which I reckon will bring a lot of happiness and hopefully the new project with the new American owners [Fenway Sports Group] will be a convincing one.

"Obviously [Rafael] Benítez brought me here but that doesn't mean that I'm unhappy with [Kenny] Dalglish, quite the opposite. I think he's the ideal man for Liverpool at this moment.

"It's my understanding, and based on what I've gathered from the people here, that we will be bringing in some important players, continuing to grow and hopefully in one or two years we will be in the place that Liverpool deserves to be, which is fighting for titles."

Reina had been linked with Manchester United but moved to ease Liverpool fans' concerns that he might be an option to replace Edwin van der Sar at the end of the season. "I am not going to Manchester, that is not my intention," he said. "I don't know if I am a candidate for them; I am sure that they have evaluated a lot of goalkeepers, not just [David] De Gea or Reina."

Pepe Reina says he wants to stay and 'fight for titles' at Liverpool | Football | guardian.co.uk

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reina eyes 2011-12 improvement

27th Apr 2011

Pepe Reina claims he has a point to prove next season - and that many of his teammates feel the same way.

In an interview with LFC Weekly, the Spanish stopper admits he has not been on top form this term.

"I know I could play a lot better," said the 28-year-old, who has appeared 305 times for Liverpool since arriving from Villarreal in 2005.

"Throughout the whole year my levels must improve. I am looking forward to the next one to prove myself again. I think, as a squad, we all feel the same - as individuals and as a group.

"Nobody is the perfect player - you are always learning. I have played 450 games, which is a lot for someone my age. I am happy but I would like to play another 450 games at the highest level."

A 5-0 thumping of Birmingham City of Saturday left Liverpool three points shy of a Europa League spot - though Tottenham have a game in hand.

Reina knows the Reds have momentum after scoring in 16 successive league games since the turn of the year.

He believes securing continental football for 2011-12 would have many benefits.

"Sometimes you hear people talk about the Europa League," he said. "They say there is no point being in it, but I think the competition has helped our youngsters; Martin Kelly, Jay Spearing, Danny Wilson.

"Maybe they wouldn't be ready to play in the Premier League now if they hadn't experienced the minutes in Europe.

"Probably one of the biggest positives of this season is seeing young players like these. Players with big futures get a chance and prove themselves.

"That is why until the end of the season we will fight."

At 28, Reina is still considered a youngster in the goalkeeping fraternity, but that's not to say he hasn't given some thought to life after football.

"I will always be involved in the game - coaching, media, whatever," he said. "I know there have been few goalkeepers to become top managers, which is strange because they spend so much time trying to watch the game, concentrating.

"Maybe it's because we dive too much during our playing careers - suffer knocks. Afterwards we want to play golf and relax a little. But I am not like that. I like golf, but I like football more."

Author: Jimmy Rice

Source: liverpoolfc.tv

One indulgence I'd give Reina is some input into getting him the goalkeeping coach he wants. Have we got anyone apart from Achterberg at the moment? I think he'd be much more comfortable working with someone he trusts as much as he did Valero. Or just get Valero back. (At the very least he'd regain the knack of saving pens!)

love is usually a two way thing and if he doesn't love us, we shouldn't love him. This transfer window should have nothing to do with him leaving or not.

And we wonder why people laugh at us....

At least the Blueshite had the decency to wait until Rooney had engineered his way out before they started spouting the cringeworthy "we hate you so much because we loved you so much" nonsense.

What do you want him to do do to prove he "loves us"? Renounce his Spanish citizenship? Get "FTM" tattooed on his knuckles? Name his cat "Funkasy"?

Personally, I don't claim to love him, but I do respect him a fuck of a lot - as a player and (from the little I know) as a man. And it's clear that he has repaid that respect in spades as a player and has never shown anything but respect for the fans in any of his off-field actions or in any of his words.

And we wonder why people laugh at us....

At least the Blueshite had the decency to wait until Rooney had engineered his way out before they started spouting the cringeworthy "we hate you so much because we loved you so much" nonsense.

What do you want him to do do to prove he "loves us"? Renounce his Spanish citizenship? Get "FTM" tattooed on his knuckles? Name his cat "Funkasy"?

Personally, I don't claim to love him, but I do respect him a fuck of a lot - as a player and (from the little I know) as a man. And it's clear that he has repaid that respect in spades as a player and has never shown anything but respect for the fans in any of his off-field actions or in any of his words.

169919d1303957395-animated-gif-thread-6ff6x.gif

Guest davelfc
Pepe reina has decided to stay. LFC trying to buy left back,centre back,two wingers,centre mid.he believes in the project.good news for Reds

Great news, there's been a lot more positive comments from Pepe recently about his future. I've always felt before that he was rattling the sabre just in case the owners didn't live up to their promises.

So twice the reason to be happy.

He has weighed everything up and decided to stay. Good man. Can't really blame him too much for considering his options at this point, but clearly he believes that Kenny is going to bring us success.

Guest San Don
Always knew he would, any player would be a fool to leave us now.

I dont know how you can say that. Without FSG splashing the sulky twats fee straight away, without the King in charge and with hodgson still here, I think his going was almost nailed on.

Thanksfully the breath of fresh air blowing through the club has changed all that for the better it seems.

I dont know how you can say that. Without FSG splashing the sulky twats fee straight away, without the King in charge and with hodgson still here, I think his going was almost nailed on.

Thanksfully the breath of fresh air blowing through the club has changed all that for the better it seems.

I should explain myself better, I mean since January, the introduction of Kenny and the sacking of Hodge, and the upturn in fortunes, form and atmosphere around the club. If Hodge was still here there would be a mass exodus this summer. Throughout this thread I've always maintained I thought he would ultimately stay.

Kenny Dalglish has reiterated his belief that Pepe Reina is the best goalkeeper in the world as the Spaniard prepares to clock up another landmark at Fulham on Monday night.

Most Recent News

Win tickets to LFC v Spurs

Carra: Tonight's not about me

Kenny's tribute to golf legend

How to follow today's game

Kuyt: I'm in the form of my life

The stopper will make his 150th consecutive league appearance for the club against the Cottagers - the seventh longest sequence in Liverpool history.

Dalglish believes it is a significant milestone for the No.25, claiming that he is the finest exponent of his position in the business.

Dalglish told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It's fantastic for Pepe. It's great for him to make 150 consecutive appearances. He's our goalkeeper and it's important we have that continuity. The quality of his performances have been fantastic. I'm sure it's a milestone that he will think about very fondly.

"He's a huge influence on us. Not only does he stop goals - he creates them as well. It's great for us to have him between the sticks, and for me - if he's not the best - then I would like to see the one that is better than him."

The Reds go in search of a win that would bolster their hopes of clinching a top five spot at Fulham - a game in which Dirk Kuyt will attempt to become the first Liverpool player to score in five successive league matches in the same season since the inauguration of the Barclays Premier League.

The last player to achieve the feat was John Aldridge back in March 1989 and the boss admits he would love to see the Dutch star continue his recent hot streak.

Dalglish added: "It would be fantastic for Dirk. I think Aldo was the last player to do it for us many years ago before the Premier League started.

"If Dirk can emulate that then that would be great. He's in a fantastic run of form. A few have been from penalty kicks but it takes a brave man to step up and take them. He's slotted them away too, so if he goes on to do that, it certainly wouldn't be a problem for us."

Guest The Big Green Bastard

BBC Sport - Football - Pepe Reina hints at Liverpool future

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has hinted that his long-term future lies at Anfield.

The Reds, who will secure a spot in next season's Europa League if they beat Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, handed manager Kenny Dalglish a three-year contract on Thursday.

"I can assure you that I'm looking forward to next season," said 28-year-old Spain international Reina.

"Kenny signing a new contract has been a lift."

Dalglish was put in caretaker charge at Anfield in January following the departure of Roy Hodgson.

The 60-year-old Scot has taken the Reds from 12th to fifth in the Premier League table.

"We play well because we're living in beautiful days," continued Reina.

"We have to be optimistic and hopefully we will celebrate the title soon."

Speculation that Reina, who has been linked with a move to Arsenal, may leave Liverpool has been fuelled by the departures of fellow Spaniards Rafa Benitez and Fernando Torres.

But director of football Damien Comolli added: "He came to see me a few weeks ago and said 'what are the plans for the future because I want to be here long term'."

You know what this means don't you?

FSG, Kenny and Comolli have convinced Pepe that the future is bright. I think we all know that if he had any doubts, he would leave. He's too good a player to languish at an underachieving club, especially considering he is a goalkeeper.

Pepe is all in.

You know what this means don't you?

FSG, Kenny and Comolli have convinced Pepe that the future is bright. I think we all know that if he had any doubts, he would leave. He's too good a player to languish at an underachieving club, especially considering he is a goalkeeper.

Pepe is all in.

Pepe is all in.