You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is very challenging. Gave an appraisal to one bloke yesterday, he is a poor performer, has problems meeting targets and deadlines yet first thing out if his mouth was how everything is "shit", management are rubbish, the service is rubbish etc. He is the most negative person I have ever met. Of course he completely disagrees with anything that suggests he could improve his own performance. When people talk of council workers being made redundant I look at him and think dead man walking.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is very challenging. Gave an appraisal to one bloke yesterday, he is a poor performer, has problems meeting targets and deadlines yet first thing out if his mouth was how everything is "shit", management are rubbish, the service is rubbish etc. He is the most negative person I have ever met. Of course he completely disagrees with anything that suggests he could improve his own performance. When people talk of council workers being made redundant I look at him and think dead man walking.

Sack his arse.

Then suck his cock.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
To be fair, if that's his attitude and you're his manager, it's down to you. Men are a piece of piss to manage. They're like dogs. Give them lots of praise and the occasional biscuit and they'll jump through hoops for you.

Sexist bitch.

Also, can I have a biscuit?

To be fair, if that's his attitude and you're his manager, it's down to you. Men are a piece of piss to manage. They're like dogs. Give them lots of praise and the occasional biscuit and they'll jump through hoops for you.

Woah there! That's an outrageous accusation!

However, if you make me the odd cup of tea and tickle my belly occasionally, I'm as loyal as the next man...

My last statement might be over-simplifying things a bit, but I still stand by it.

Men are far easier to manage than women because they're not as complex. They can have a row with their missus the night before and won't bring it to work. They don't suffer from PMT. They're not generally snide or jealous.

All workers, regardless of gender, want to feel valued. If you're sweating your bollocks off and nobody notices, you soon stop. There must be something this bloke is doing well. Concentrate on that and big it up, and then extend it from there.

Some people can be left to their own devices and do a fantastic job. Others need spoon-feeding (especially younger ones). It's your job to build their confidence and keep close to them and make sure they're happy.

Obviously it helps if you're as smart, sexy and witty as I am; overall you can have a laugh with your team, but at the same time don't take any shit from them. Also remember that when you do lose your rag, it gives them a little semi-on.

In short, big-up everything they do well, buy doughnuts once or twice a week, and while remaining professional don't be so aloof that it gives them the message that you're entirely off limits. If they think there's even the most miniscule chance of you blowing them off at the office xmas party one decade, they'll do anything you ask.

All my staff love me. They crack little jokes to prove it by doing things like putting broken glass in my sandwich, shitting in my coffee, killing my mother.

Great days.

Also, She Knows It is fairly on the mark there. Men are a lot easier to manage then women. Also, most woman will tell you that they'd rather work with or work for men also if they have had to work for a woman for a period of time. Men just get on with it for the most part and are far less snidey. But woman can be bloody awful to other women.

I've 20 direct reports and the blokes are far easier to deal with.

I must admit I have to feel sorry for anyone so dimwitted, ill-educated, downtrodden, meek, and lacking in basic skills that he finds himself in a professional situation in which you're his boss.

Herein lies the problem with the public sector. He is what is known in my business as a Negger - a burnt-out useless whinger who not only blames everyone else for his own failings, but has a knack of bring everyone around him down too. We had one, we booted him. I'm a manager, not a fucking counsellor. Bring a decent positive attitude to work and we'll get along fine and give you all the support you need. Come into work with a negative attitude, and we'll worsen it a little for you by sending you home with it without a job.

I would suggest you sack the cunt, but I doubt you could as in the public sector you'll have a 500 strong team of HR fuckwits giving you a million reasons each why it can't be done.

Herein lies the problem with the public sector. He is what is known in my business as a Negger - a burnt-out useless whinger who not only blames everyone else for his own failings, but has a knack of bring everyone around him down too. We had one, we booted him. I'm a manager, not a fucking counsellor. Bring a decent positive attitude to work and we'll get along fine and give you all the support you need. Come into work with a negative attitude, and we'll worsen it a little for you by sending you home with it without a job.

I would suggest you sack the cunt, but I doubt you could as in the public sector you'll have a 500 strong team of HR fuckwits giving you a million reasons each why it can't be done.

Pay no heed to Noos NG, his Mum was a Test Tube.

If he has got himself into a cycle of, poor performance so he is low in confidence and then because of low confidence he has poor performance, then you, as his manager need to take him out of that situation.

If possible give him a different task, take him with you on a few errands, just get the bloke of his 'un-comfort zone' What somebody said on here before about praise is right. You need to compliment him.

But the worst thing you can do is ignore the issue and not talk to him about it, hes not daft, he knows you that you know! Just tell him it happens to everyone, including you. But you have to be strong enough to get through it and you believe he is! (even if you dont) Tell him you have every confidence in him and that there is no pressure on him, so he just needs to work through it with your help. The lack of pressure thing is important.

He cant improve when he has all that going on in his head. "will they sack me?" "why am i so shit" "what are management thinking about me?" "im shit at my job" "why cant i do this?" "is there something wrong with me?"

I hope you get it sorted mate. Its a shit situation to be in, i understand. As a good manager, (which im sure you are) you need to help him through by putting yourself in his shoes, BUT, it is also important to know when enough is enough. Some people just cant be rescued mate, and although its important to try, you need to keep that in mind. He needs to work just as hard (if not harder) towards fixing it as you do, so if he doesnt/wont/cant then maybe its time to part company.

Hope I have been of some help. Sorry if not.

The main problem with the public sector is that it seems to attract a lot of generally inept, malingering, lazy spastics who wouldn't last 10 minutes in the private sector, and know it.

Agreed, there's far to many jobs worth, they can't use initiative to save theirs lives.

I surround myself with women, they are more loyal, work twice as harder than men & by far more honest, treat them with respect, you reap the rewards.

Agreed, there's far to many jobs worth, they can't use initiative to save theirs lives.

I surround myself with women, they are more loyal, work twice as harder than men & by far more honest, treat them with respect, you reap the rewards.

Plus they're women, and the law of averages suggest one might be worth fucking. Or they might know one that is. I know your game.

Plus they're women, and the law of averages suggest one might be worth fucking. Or they might know one that is. I know your game.

I find business and sex don't mix......

Unless it involves a photocopier.:whistle:

PS: Sales Reps

If he has got himself into a cycle of, poor performance so he is low in confidence and then because of low confidence he has poor performance, then you, as his manager need to take him out of that situation.

If possible give him a different task, take him with you on a few errands, just get the bloke of his 'un-comfort zone' What somebody said on here before about praise is right. You need to compliment him.

But the worst thing you can do is ignore the issue and not talk to him about it, hes not daft, he knows you that you know! Just tell him it happens to everyone, including you. But you have to be strong enough to get through it and you believe he is! (even if you dont) Tell him you have every confidence in him and that there is no pressure on him, so he just needs to work through it with your help. The lack of pressure thing is important.

He cant improve when he has all that going on in his head. "will they sack me?" "why am i so shit" "what are management thinking about me?" "im shit at my job" "why cant i do this?" "is there something wrong with me?"

I hope you get it sorted mate. Its a shit situation to be in, i understand. As a good manager, (which im sure you are) you need to help him through by putting yourself in his shoes, BUT, it is also important to know when enough is enough. Some people just cant be rescued mate, and although its important to try, you need to keep that in mind. He needs to work just as hard (if not harder) towards fixing it as you do, so if he doesnt/wont/cant then maybe its time to part company.

Hope I have been of some help. Sorry if not.

What the fuck?? Are you serious? He's getting paid (with my fucking tax money by the way) to do a job.

Responsibility, people. It is a manager's job to manage, not to babysit. This bloke is a whinger. He'll whinge whatever you do. Tell him to take responsibility for what he can affect, and stop whining about the things he can't. He gets paid to a job, if he can't do it, sack his pathetic arse and get someone in who can. There must be plenty of people out there in the current climate who'd give their left bollock for this knobhead's job.

Cycle of poor performance. Fucking hell.

What the fuck?? Are you serious? He's getting paid (with my fucking tax money by the way) to do a job.

Responsibility, people. It is a manager's job to manage, not to babysit. This bloke is a whinger. He'll whinge whatever you do. Tell him to take responsibility for what he can affect, and stop whining about the things he can't. He gets paid to a job, if he can't do it, sack his pathetic arse and get someone in who can. There must be plenty of people out there in the current climate who'd give their left bollock for this knobhead's job.

....and his Dad was Mengele.

Yes, i am being serious. For both moral and legal reasons. Anyone can manage workers who are doing their job with no issues. It take a manager to manage the workers poor performance.

Legally in the public sector, if he sacked the lad, he would have to be able to prove that he has tried to fix the situation and failed, you cant just 'get rid'.

The fella is in a rut, morally, what sort of a shithead kicks him out into this awful job market and expects the fella not to sink? Presumably he was once a good worker? Or he wouldn't still be there. So the right thing to do would be to get the fella back on track. As you said they could just give the job to someone else, they would need training up and that costs money on top of wages, from a management point of view, it would be financially beneficial to get this fella back on track rather than just start over!

I enjoy managing staff.

If you do have a shit member of staff talk to HR first. Don't tell them you have a problem just ask them for clarification on grounds for dismissal. Must HR departments are anything but with no one actually having any HR experince or knowledge.

Let them find out the lagal aspects first and then tell them you are going down incapabilty. If you tell them first my experience is they'll shit themselves as they don't know what they are doing and will find away to avoid dismissal at all costs.

I'd suggest next time he comes into the office, but some of those little sticky ring things you put on hole-punches to support them, stick them on your bollocks to make a pair of eyes and then do a little puppet show for him.

If that doesn't cheer him up, sack him.

Yes, i am being serious. For both moral and legal reasons. Anyone can manage workers who are doing their job with no issues. It take a manager to manage the workers poor performance.

Legally in the public sector, if he sacked the lad, he would have to be able to prove that he has tried to fix the situation and failed, you cant just 'get rid'.

The fella is in a rut, morally, what sort of a shithead kicks him out into this awful job market and expects the fella not to sink? Presumably he was once a good worker? Or he wouldn't still be there. So the right thing to do would be to get the fella back on track. As you said they could just give the job to someone else, they would need training up and that costs money on top of wages, from a management point of view, it would be financially beneficial to get this fella back on track rather than just start over!

Nonsense. The bloke's poor performance is a result of his shit attitude. If you want morals, go to church. It is not your job as a manager to look after the mental state of your employees. Give him a chance and some support by all means, but with that attitude he is bound to fail because he is a failure. It makes no sense from a business sense to keep him either as he will bring people down around him and affect their performances. Boot the sorry fuck. He make sink, he may swim - you're his boss (for now at least), not his mum.

Noos bob on here. If he can't do his job, manage him out of hid role. Set him tasks to turn it around, which to be honest, should have been done earlier by the sound of things.

I don't get why this fella has been allowed to get to the point he has without his face being punched in.

If I don't achieve it is nobody's fault but my own and the same hasn't applied to that fella. Plus you news your arse kicking for not managing him effectively.