You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reds sign French Winger?

Kopite

Liverpool Complete Signing of French Winger

Posted on 15/02/2011

Liverpool have agreed the signing of Rennes winger Sylvain Marveaux, after the pacy Frenchman settled a pre-contract agreement at Anfield to sign for a free transfer in the summer.

Marveaux had featured in over 100 appearances for the club primarily as a left-winger. The diminutive 24-year-old stands at just 5ft 7, but offers a creative spark that caught the attention of Liverpool’s Director of Football Strategy Damien Comolli.

Marveaux has already revealed that he will depart Rennes in the summer after 10 years at the club, with many reports suggesting that he has already agreed to join Kenny Dalglish’s Liverpool revolution.

Rennes’ general manager Peter Dreossi claimed; “We will never see Sylvain Marveaux in the jersey of Stade Rennais again."

West Ham saw a bid of £3 million rejected in the summer, though Chelsea have also courted the pacy winger over the past few months. Chelsea did not make a firm offer for the player, eventually leading to Marveaux deciding that Anfield was an appropriate destination for his first move out of France.

The Bleacher Report have revealed that Marveaux was present at Anfield last month during Liverpool’s match against Wolves, but claimed that talks have now concluded and the Frenchman is set to make the switch in July.

Marveaux is unlikely to be the only signing arriving at the club in the summer, with Kenny Dalglish likely to sign a permanent deal and continue the same spending that saw him capture Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez for a combined £58 million.

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young has been repeatedly linked with a switch to the northwest, as has Blackpool skipper Charlie Adam. Many Liverpool fans believe their side have lacked a quality winger since Luis Garcia, with the likes of Milan Jovanovic and Joe Cole struggling to make an impact upon the first team.

Many believe that Marveaux could help to ease the problems Liverpool have experienced in wide positions. Dalglish is also likely to want a left-back having played Glen Johnson out of position there since he took over from Roy Hodgson.

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young has been repeatedly linked with a switch to the northwest, as has Blackpool skipper Charlie Adam. Many Liverpool fans believe their side have lacked a quality winger since Luis Garcia, with the likes of Milan Jovanovic and Joe Cole struggling to make an impact upon the first team.

Many believe that Marveaux could help to ease the problems Liverpool have experienced in wide positions. Dalglish is also likely to want a left-back having played Glen Johnson out of position there since he took over from Roy Hodgson.

Liverpool Complete Signing of French Winger

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was it was arguing with me that Newcastle signed him, and that he wanted to go there over us?

No one was arguing that. I was saying that I'd read somewhere that he'd signed a deal with Newcastle during the transfer window. Which I had.

No one was arguing that. I was saying that I'd read somewhere that he'd signed a deal with Newcastle during the transfer window. Which I had.

I read something similar, think you could mean this.... although i also read he was injured & to undergo surgery which will take him out for the rest of the season.

Alan Pardew set to bring Rennes' Sylvain Marveaux to Newcastle in summer | Mail Online

Edit

Found the link regarding the injury.

Rennes ready Marveaux farewell | Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News