You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

I agree, but how I see Gerrard's role I'd rather we had Meireles filling in when he's out than Adam.

Adam and Meireles could play together, especially in games at Anfield where teams will stick men behind the ball.

Spearing and Lucas don't offer us too much going forward and we'll substantially strengthen our midfield for fuck all money.

Adam will also add some much needed steel and bite to our midfield, something which Raul unfortunately lacks on occasions. Not a criticism of him by the way.

Adam would have made a massive difference in games like West Ham away, when we got completely overrun in midfield.

I like Charlie Adam and Gary Cahill, and they would both definitely improve the team, but there is no way we should splash anywhere near £10m on Adam and £20m on Cahill as has been reported.

It's the same old, same old, you're paying at least half for the British passport.

Give me that Mammadou Sakho lad for half the price and leave £10m towards someone else.

Same goes for Ashley Young, good player who would defo improve us...but how much would that (excuse the spelling) Dzsudsak lad from PSV cost ? A fraction of Young's fee I'll bet, and he's just as good, if not better.

He had a stormer tonight as well.

Buying Cahill for the reported £15M ++ does not tally with what the transfer strategy is. That is his peak value and moving him on to make room for Wisdom/Kelly will be at a loss in the ideal situation. I don't rate him as a footballer at all either and if he comes in he will most likely be playing in place of Agger. I would not do this deal but Hummels I would go for since we could sell on for a profit - all things being equal.

Buying Cahill for the reported £15M ++ does not tally with what the transfer strategy is. That is his peak value and moving him on to make room for Wisdom/Kelly will be at a loss in the ideal situation. I don't rate him as a footballer at all either and if he comes in he will most likely be playing in place of Agger. I would not do this deal but Hummels I would go for since we could sell on for a profit - all things being equal.

I think the Carroll signing has shown that above all else we'll sign players we think can play for the club in the long term, and not how much profit they'll make us. Cahill, were he at the club now, would be far and away the best centre-back we have. personally, I think £15m sounds about right for a player of his class.

and how realistic an option is Hummels? he's had a massively successful season and im sure is relishing another under such an exciting young manager and a season in the CL. its all well and good listing our dream targets, but if you're going do it whilst at the same time denouncing other targets, then at least try and add some rationale to it.

If our club is sound financially and paying over the odds for a player doesnt take money out of the pot for the next signing then i really dont care what is spent.

If kenny wants adam and cahill and it comes to 40 mil - so what. What does it matter?

I am not saying i fully agree but big clubs have to pay over the odds

If our club is sound financially and paying over the odds for a player doesnt take money out of the pot for the next signing then i really dont care what is spent.

If kenny wants adam and cahill and it comes to 40 mil - so what. What does it matter?

I am not saying i fully agree but big clubs have to pay over the odds

You can look at the Mancs spent on the likes of Berbatov, Valencia, Carrick etc. and think it is way too much looking at it isolated. But the players have helped them win titles so I'm not sure their fans are too concerned with the prices paid.

Liverpool make enquiry for £10m Standard Liege star Steven Defour after Manchester United cool interest - Goal.com

Liverpool make enquiry for £10m Standard Liege star Steven Defour after Manchester United cool interest

Reds director of football Damien Comolli has been in contact with representatives of the 23-year-old Belgian midfielder as he looks to bolster the squad at Anfield this summer

EXCLUSIVE

By Greg Stobart | Northern Correspondent

Liverpool are weighing up a £10 million move for Standard Liege midfielder Steven Defour after Manchester United cooled their interest in the Belgian star.

United have been tracking Defour for more than two years but have indicated that they are unlikely to follow up their interest with a summer bid.

The 23-year-old is set to leave his Belgian club at the end of the season and Liverpool have now emerged as one of the leading contenders for his signature.

Defour's agent, Paul Stefani, has held talks with Portuguese giants Benfica within the last month but he has also been in contact with Damien Comolli, Liverpool's director of football, about a summer move to the Premier League.

Comolli and Reds manager Kenny Dalglish want to add creativity to the Liverpool midfield next season and have identified Defour as one of their candidates.

Defour had previously been reluctant to join the Anfield club as he feared he would ruin his dream of playing for Manchester United. Sir Alex Ferguson took the extraordinary step of writing a letter to the player in 2009 after he suffered a long-term foot injury.

But Defour has been impressed by the direction the Merseysiders have taken since Dalglish took over from Roy Hodgson in January and a summer switch could be on the cards if Liverpool decide to make an offer.

"Liverpool are now a different club to last year," a source told Goal.com UK. "Defour could really thrive and achieve his goals at Liverpool - and he is the kind of player they want to sign now."

The Belgian international would fit into Liverpool's strategy of buying young and talented players under owners Fenway Sports Group and his £10m price is considered attractive by the decision-makers at the club.

Comolli has said he wants to bring “top players” to Anfield and has promised movement in the transfer market during the summer as the Reds look to build on the January signings of Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll.

You can look at the Mancs spent on the likes of Berbatov, Valencia, Carrick etc. and think it is way too much looking at it isolated. But the players have helped them win titles so I'm not sure their fans are too concerned with the prices paid.

That's spot on. Most times, a clubs expenditure on players is looked at a lot more by fans when they are unsuccessful (for big clubs especially).

Adam and Meireles could play together, especially in games at Anfield where teams will stick men behind the ball.

Spearing and Lucas don't offer us too much going forward and we'll substantially strengthen our midfield for fuck all money.

Adam will also add some much needed steel and bite to our midfield, something which Raul unfortunately lacks on occasions. Not a criticism of him by the way.

Adam would have made a massive difference in games like West Ham away, when we got completely overrun in midfield.

No, he wouldn't. he really wouldn't add bite - creativity perhaps, but he's terrible at shielding the back four. He's slow, unfit and rivals Paul Scholes in the tackling stakes. I fear he would be a sadly typical signing for us - signed on the basis of a purple patch in an otherwise fairly mediocre (to say the least) career

I'd love us to sign Defour, but the article (regardless of source) does make me doubt its veracity when they say things like:

"United have been tracking Defour for more than two years but have indicated that they are unlikely to follow up their interest with a summer bid"

How did they "indicate it"? Leave a series of vague clues? Hand signals and facial expressions? Semaphore?

No, he wouldn't. he really wouldn't add bite - creativity perhaps, but he's terrible at shielding the back four. He's slow, unfit and rivals Paul Scholes in the tackling stakes. I fear he would be a sadly typical signing for us - signed on the basis of a purple patch in an otherwise fairly mediocre (to say the least) career

I have to agree with this. Obviousely I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see him as that good a player. I hope we give him a swerve.

I have to agree with this. Obviousely I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see him as that good a player. I hope we give him a swerve.

I just don't know what we would buy him for. His set play delivery is his greatest asset but that is not enough. The only player who he could replace is Raul and I'm not sure we either could or want to move Raul on.

The RAWK itk's are saying Connor Wyckham is a done deal to go with all the other dead certs.

Up to £10m including add-ons supposedly.

I guess if it's true that would mean he would replace Ngog and be the back-up to Carroll as a traditional No 9 although Wyckham is quite versatile and has a bit of pace & athleticism to go with his height and build.

Not seen enough of him really but the concept is sound.

I just don't get the hype surrounding wickham. He looks ok but that's about it. Not a great finisher and not quick. He's not worth 5m let alone 15m.

The lad's only just turned 18. We're buying into his potential rather than the finished product.

The RAWK itk's are saying Connor Wyckham is a done deal to go with all the other dead certs.

Up to £10m including add-ons supposedly.

I guess if it's true that would mean he would replace Ngog and be the back-up to Carroll as a traditional No 9 although Wyckham is quite versatile and has a bit of pace & athleticism to go with his height and build.

Not seen enough of him really but the concept is sound.

In all fairness they're not saying that at all. They are saying that a bid of up to £10m has been made.

Young enough for the coaches and Kenny to shape him and bring the best out of him. This brings into focus the fact that we have lacked the fire-power to seriously compete for ages. I think we need one more player in the CF role before going into next season in addition to Wickham assuming we get him.