You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Whats controversial about saying Lucas needs to be replaced because he offers next to nothing in one of the most important positions in our team.

Just look back in our history for lets say the last 30 years and tell me which player in Lucas position with around the same amount of starts offered less?

If your so against Lucas and want him out, i take it you want the rest of our midfielders out as well, as Lucas has been our best midfielder for 2 seasons running and would probably be the 3rd name down on our every teamsheet after Reina and Suarez.

Lucas, Kuyt and Skrtel are all decent players but short of real quality, they'll work hard for you, do a lot of simple things, be effective and dogged, not make many errors but essentially they lack real quality

having said that it's highly unlikely any team is going to field 11 world beaters and have top quality in every position - the thing is though unlike the likes of carroll, henderson, kelly the truimverate of skrtel, kuyt and lucas have played enough games for the club and had enough time to settle in such that there's no way they're going to get any better than what they currently are......all decent 7/10 players of course but if you're playing the three of them regularly or in almost every game, if these type of players are guaranteed starters then you're not going to win very much, you'll do ok but they won't deliver silverware

they are good to have around the place as squad players and it's a good sign of squad depth if the likes of those three are on the bench but if all three are starting every week you are lacking

If your so against Lucas and want him out, i take it you want the rest of our midfielders out as well, as Lucas has been our best midfielder for 2 seasons running and would probably be the 3rd name down on our every teamsheet after Reina and Suarez.

Well if Kenny works like I do on Football Manager, Lucas would the 6th name on the team sheet.

You name the keeper then pick the back four (right to left of course) and then the defensive midfielder.

As far as any Lucas transfer rumours go, I'm pretty sure Kenny will "Issue a Hands-off Warning".

Has mata or hazard signed yet?

Afraid not mate. Sad to see, given that all we would have had to do was click our fingers and both of them - not to mention Aguero - would have been ours. Instead we went out and signed Adam, Downing and Henderson in a deliberate attempt to sabotage our chances. For shame.

Apart from Meireles and Gerrard you are right, I would be happier if we sold all our midfielders from last season compared to if we keep them.

Lucas is playing far too much and thats why I aim my criticism against him, if he was a bit part player it would not bother me that much.

Lucas, Kuyt and Skrtel are all decent players but short of real quality, they'll work hard for you, do a lot of simple things, be effective and dogged, not make many errors but essentially they lack real quality

having said that it's highly unlikely any team is going to field 11 world beaters and have top quality in every position - the thing is though unlike the likes of carroll, henderson, kelly the truimverate of skrtel, kuyt and lucas have played enough games for the club and had enough time to settle in such that there's no way they're going to get any better than what they currently are......all decent 7/10 players of course but if you're playing the three of them regularly or in almost every game, if these type of players are guaranteed starters then you're not going to win very much, you'll do ok but they won't deliver silverware

they are good to have around the place as squad players and it's a good sign of squad depth if the likes of those three are on the bench but if all three are starting every week you are lacking

Lucas & Skrtel are both relatively young & had their best seasons last season, so can't see any reason to say they can't get better.

I hope Dirk is used as an auxiliary forward & he will prove his worth as he certainly did last season.

On a wider point, an awful lot of people on here seem to totally ignore the fact that most teams will have 3 or 4 major injuries a season and a stack of smaller ones & suspensions . They post as if we have a pool of invulnerables & we will spend every game choosing between every single member of the squad. We have a fair few midfielders but I promise you they will all get plenty of games.

Just been on the Offal to see if the loan of Spearing to Wolves had been confirmed as a Wolves fan at work told me it had. Instead I find an article about him competing for his first team place. Nothing on here either. Just the usual rumour mill or something about to break? I hope not - I thought he did a fantastic job last season with Gerrard injured and he deserves his place in the squad.

A loan to Wolves would get him plenty of first team premiership experience, but I want to see lads like him coming through in our own team not on loan.

Just been on the Offal to see if the loan of Spearing to Wolves had been confirmed as a Wolves fan at work told me it had. Instead I find an article about him competing for his first team place. Nothing on here either. Just the usual rumour mill or something about to break? I hope not - I thought he did a fantastic job last season with Gerrard injured and he deserves his place in the squad.

A loan to Wolves would get him plenty of first team premiership experience, but I want to see lads like him coming through in our own team not on loan.

Speo said in the Echo that he has heard nothing about it other than what he has read in the papers & doesn't want to go anywhere.

I really, really don't begin to understand the Lucas hate.

I've been arguing with reds for what? 2 seasons nearly now?

What is it? You guys made your minds up early and aren't gonna change it whatever?

But the fact is you aren't arguing with me or anyone else on this board, you are arguing with Rafa, with at least 2 Brazilian managers and with Kenny Dalglish. You are in fact saying you are better judges than those guys.

And are you? Really?

Although Lucas is hardly my favorite Liverpool player he must be doing something right because all our managers and the Brazil international manager keep on picking him. People better qualified than anyone on this forum keep selecting him, so far in this transfer window we have had plenty of time and money to replace him if he's so shite but nobody including Dalglish or Comolli has seen fit to replace him. Its not like we would lose money on him(probably make a profit) or he's on high wages and can't be off loaded. So for all you Lucas haters WHY IS HE STILL HERE?

I agree with that completely and that brings me to Lucas. If this is Kenny's intention, and I believe that it is, this is the team:

Henderson Gerrard Adam Downing

Suarez Carroll

Mirroring this one:

Houghton McMahon Whelan Barnes

Beardsley Aldridge

Where is Lucas then? He'll obviously get plenty of games, but he's not going to be one of the first names in the team sheet like many expect.

I think you will find the very underrated Nigel Spackman played a lot of 87-88 instead of Whelan who was injured mate. He is still one of my favourite ex-Reds to this day. His performance in the Forest 5-0 in 1988 was fantastic in particular. Even though he has a suite named after him at Chelsea he associates himself more with us than Chelsea. If Henderson/Adam is half as good as him then they will do well here.

People better qualified than anyone on this forum keep selecting him, so far in this transfer window we have had plenty of time and money to replace him if he's so shite but nobody including Dalglish or Comolli has seen fit to replace him. Its not like we would lose money on him(probably make a profit) or he's on high wages and can't be off loaded. So for all you Lucas haters WHY IS HE STILL HERE?

Because they dont seem to grasp the idea that Lucas, really is a good player.

I´ve said it before I will say it now, he will become the captain of Brazil.

Speaking at the microphones of Sportitalia , Franco Zavaglia , agent of Alberto Aquilani , said: "Now Albert does not fall in the plans of most Liverpool, we want to find a solution so that next year the current situation does not reoccur. The player wants to come outright in Italy. If Fiorentina has the strength to garamtirgli this opportunity? I met Corvino, Fiorentina and we must think. It 'a difficult task, but let's see. Possibility that my client landings in Florence? Well, let's say 50%. Last year in August there was a magic, let's see if this year will be the same, there is still time .. ".

Google translation

Guest Jon Snow

My personal view on Lucus is he's a bit 'meh', Jack of all trades, master of none. He is solid and dependable, you know what you're going to get. I don't think he is the best tackler, but he can tackle. I don't think he is the type of passer Alonso or Gerrard or even Adam is, but he is solid in possession. He runs an average amount, I could go on.

Now as far as his determination is concerned, for me this is his stand out attribute. For this reason alone I think he will turn into something more then a 'meh' player. In fact I see a word class player in there somewhere, I think he just needs to start to really specialize his skill set a bit more and in games he will become a lot more effective. The training wheels are off now, time for him to turn into the player I know he can be.

Guest Jon Snow
mata representatives in london for arsenal talks according to the mirror.

stands back with fingers in his ears

We missed one hell of a player for peanuts if he goes to Arsenal for 18m.

Arsenal are expected to raise their offer for Phil Jagielka to about £13 million today in an attempt to sign the England central defender before the Emirates Cup this weekend.

Everton, who value the player at £18 million, rejected an offer of about £11 million last week, but the Merseyside club are aware of the need to sell players before they can buy.

Arsenal, who are hoping to sign two central defenders this summer, have also held additional talks over the proposed deal to sign Juan Mata, the Valenica and Spain midfield player, who has a buyout clause of about £17.5 million.

The Times