You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Classic grand prix

Mike D

Ive always thought the past eras of f1 more exiting and interesting than today.

even the 90s when hill and schumacher where knocking each other off all the time,.

but I really like the 60s, 70s 80s.

drivers like Clark, Stewart, Senna and Mansell.

[YOUTUBE]7R_XId0YabQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
Ive always thought the past eras of f1 more exiting and interesting than today.

even the 90s when hill and schumacher where knocking each other off all the time,.

but I really like the 60s, 70s 80s.

drivers like Clark, Stewart, Senna and Mansell.

[YOUTUBE]7R_XId0YabQ[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah definitely more exciting, I used to be a big fan of the sport and would go to the British GP every year with me Dad from the mid 80's to the early 90's.

I would know every driver by number and helmet design and who they drove for. I haven't watched it in years and would struggle to name any of them, I hear Schumacher is back but I've no idea who he's racing for.

Less rules but I think the main difference is the drivers' personalities. The likes of Keke Rosberg, Senna, Piquet, Mansell, Patresse etc were risk takers and it really added to the entertainment.

I agree, I always loved Mansell and then Hill, used to love the williams's

used to go round to my nans and watch them with my uncle who is a big car nut, restored classic cars and had a huge scalextric track in the spare room

I remember staying over and watching the 1994 showdown and my uncle jumping up shouting when schumacher ran hill off.

and Murray Walker too

this is great, Qualifying for the turbos when they turned the boost right up :drool:

[YOUTUBE]cL3i_NQ9S0g[/YOUTUBE]

Guest ShoePiss
I agree, I always loved Mansell and then Hill, used to love the williams's

used to go round to my nans and watch them with my uncle who is a big car nut, restored classic cars and had a huge scalextric track in the spare room

I remember staying over and watching the 1994 showdown and my uncle jumping up shouting when schumacher ran hill off.

and Murray Walker too

this is great, Qualifying for the turbos when they turned the boost right up :drool:

[YOUTUBE]cL3i_NQ9S0g[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah I was always a Williams fan too, my first GP was at Brands in 85 for the European GP so I saw Mansell's first win and Williams finishing 1 and 3.

I agree 70's and early 80's Grand Prix where so much more watchable than todays sanitised processions.

My Dad was always a big racing fan, but from an era well before Stewart and Hunt and to be honest my interest is there too....

Late 1930's to be exact

Mercedes Benz W125's and Auto Union type C's

The W125 had 630+Bhp and could top 190mph.

The slightly better type C had a V16 engine with only 520bhp, but could alledgedly hit 211mph.

And they look superb too, if a little dangerous.

And if you want noise listen to this from about 1'24

[YOUTUBE]fkZwGa50eqM[/YOUTUBE]

and this,

[YOUTUBE]hvTggX3ADlY[/YOUTUBE]

German engineering at its finest.

Wasn't until the late 70's early 80's where F1 cars reach the same HP and speeds.

The German drivers all seemed to compete for the most teutonic name too,

Bernd Rosemeyer

Manfred von Brauchitsch

Hermann Lang

Hans Stuck

Rudolf Hasse

Rudolf Caracciola

Oh and dont get me started on Group B rallying either

Am I a fucking anally retentive geek or what?

murray walker and james hunt call one of nigel mansell's greatest races.

starting well down the grid on a tight track, mansell guides a vastly inferior ferrari F-640 (designed by john barnard) to an unexpected victory in hungary 1989.

still have a victory poster from this race in my garage.

[YOUTUBE]g0B09GdlG1U[/YOUTUBE]

edit: great pass for 1st at 7:20

i started waking up to the cuntishness of shumacher and the hypocrisy and corruption of the sport (specifically ferrari and FIFA) when shumacher tried to bounce villeneuve off the track in the last race at jerez in 1997 when they were fighting for the world championship.

'don't do it' they said, so he did.

'we'll punish you if you do', but they didn't.

the right man won though, and justice prevailed.

[YOUTUBE]1ULoz10XJUU[/YOUTUBE]

What would they have done had Villeneuve retired with car damage, caused by Schumacher's attempted 'take-out'?

Also remember qualifying the day before - 3 drivers with exactly the same time, down to a 1000th of a second. Are we expected to believe that? Didn't then, and still don't now.

F1 is still too much about 'The Show'......and Bernie's money making - meaning boring tracks in the middle of nowhere, watched by 3 men and a goat. Whilst the 'classic' tracks struggle to get finance to pay to hold a race. Ridiculous!!