You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I was going to post this in the "MOTM" thread, but thought it better not to take away from the thread, so...

What is it I'm not getting with regards to Maxi?

I didnt even know he was on the field on Sunday until the 22nd minute.

He is missing for the majority of any game he plays, yes he might pop up now and again and do something useful, but generally, I just dont seem to be seeing what those who sing his praises are seeing.

Goes missing, doesnt really do anything in my view worth talking about, has the odd decent shot when there is a blue in the months moon, and has scored how many goals???

As I say, its just me not seeing what others see, but, Maxi is another Garcia, in as much as he didnt do that much, (Champions league goals aside) but the majority saw something more than he was, than I did.

Not a dig as such, I just cant for the life of me see what so many rave about, sorry.

So please enlighten me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good player. Good touch, movement and a footballing brain. Works hard, too.

He's been a good signing imo.

All this for a free transfer. Was a world class player a few years ago but injuries have intervened, doesn't have the pace he once had and maybe his influence is dminishing on the pitch but still one of our better options.

I think Maxi will look better under Dalglish than under Hodgson, because we will try and play a bit of football. The hoof the ball tactics don't really work for a player like Maxi.

Another victim of this, every player in the squad suffered under Hodgson's tactics. We look slower, full of players who can't pass. With a high line and attacking mentality players like Maxi will be a lot better off as they can get the ball in dangerous areas and make things happen.

Composed in possesion, with an eye for a pass. He keeps the flow of the play going and in the right direction.

Is clearly less effective away from home, but doesn't make many mistakes nor does he require 9 touches to control the ball...

Offers more going forward than most in our squad, whilst he should score more, he tracks back effectively. Was brought in on a free and considering both the above and some of the dross we have paid heavily for, that represents a good deal.

Plus, when he signed, it provided an excuse to watch that sublime volley from the World Cup again!

Good player. Good touch, movement and a footballing brain. Works hard, too.

He's been a good signing imo.

This. He always looks to play a forward pass. And he never gives the ball away. We underestimate how important this is - it's crazy. We appreciate people working hard to try to get the ball back, or close down, or retain shape, but retaining possession means we don't have to waste energy and territory doing these things. It's much more important than being able to track back.

Which is something Maxi does too. He gets through a lot of running in a game. Our most underrated player.

I agree with Mr Thread starter. He falls into the "not good enough for Liverpool" bracket for me. A lot of people seem to rate him but he jsut seems very average

Who would you prefer to see in the team - a player like Babel or a player like Maxi?

I think his main weakness is he doesn't convert enough of his chances when they come along. He gets in good positions and fluffs his lines a bit in front of goal sometimes. The winner against Bolton away was less than convincing, but squirmed in. Garcia was much better at finding the net.

I like him, though, he's a very clever player and finds space well. Good technique and vision in the build up play, can help build moves, but goes missing too often away from home. He was one of the better signings from the last days of Rafa.

He is a nice tidy footballer but I think it is yet another case of people making another one of our players to be better than they actually are. We have plenty of players in the same bracket as him in that respect.

I agree with the OP, I didn't realize he was playing until 20 plus minutes yesterday although he did well in the second half. He has been a decent signing overall but nothing more.

And there is no such thing as a ''freebie'' unless the player is unattached without a club, he was still under contract with another club and we would have had to pay him a good wage and signing on fee to join us.