You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cheltenham 2011 thread

paddyberger15

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to this now - booked next week off to watch all of it. 4 afternoons in Rigby's might get a tad expensive unless I pick up a few winners, though.

You're not fucking wrong.

The bottled Budvar in there is my weapon of choice but the price of it.......

Spewed Rigby's for the Railway these days but the Railway is shite for televised sport.

That's pretty much how I see it aswell Comrade. Menorah is the progressive Horse, looked good winning the Supreme Novices last year and has good form going into the Festival. Binocular will still be the one to beat though. You could make a case for Hurricane Fly who has won on testing ground in Ireland. Between those 3 I'd say. Maguire is on Peddlars Cross after getting his ban oveturned but I'd say he is running for a place.

Can't diagree with any of that although I can't bring meself to back against Peddlers. Won me so much over the last 15 months or so and with Maguire deffo on him, I can't not.

Fuck sake!

Binocular withdrawn from the champion hurdle.

Does anyone know if Betfair will give me my stake back? Also had money on Tranquil sea but that's also been withdrawn. A cracking start to proceedings..

Ah shite that's a disaster, what is the reason given?

I backed Hurricane fly a few months ago so my odds will be cut a bit now.

Champion Hurdle refunds for punters on non-runner Binocular

SEVERAL firms have offered refunds on ante-post bets placed on Binocular, who was 3-1 favourite for the Stan James Champion Hurdle, after connections withdrew the defending champion from therace on advice from the BHA.

William Hill, StanJames.com, Bet365, Sky Bet and Paddy Power have offered full refunds and several others, including Ladbrokes, had been offering non-runner no bet on the race for several months.

Binocular, the reigning champion hurdler, was not declared for the race on Sunday morning.

Betfair announced they had voided all bets taken on their Champion Hurdle market between 8am, the time at which Binocular effectively became a non-runner, and the suspension of the market for final declarations at 10am.

Nicky Henderson and the BHA both issued statements explaining the horse had been treated for an allergy two weeks ago and subsequent testing discovered the substance used to treat the condition had remained in the horse's system and would lead to a positive test on raceday, when horses must be drug-free.

11 horses were declared for the Champion Hurdle and sponsors Stan James make Menorah and Hurricane Fly the new 7-2 joint-favourites.

BHA spokesman Paul Struthers on Sunday responded to criticism that the regulatory body did not inform punters about the Binocular situation earlier, despite being fully involved in the testing of the horse. He said the earliest the Authority could have released a statement was two days ago.

"There was a lot of information to gather so the earliest we could have said anthing was Friday afternoon. Secondly, there was a genuine expectation that the levels of the substance would come down as testing went on but it didn't. A key factor was the factthat every bookie was by then NRNB on all Cheltenham races," he said.

In a statement Henderson said: "We have very regretfully had to decide not to declare Binocular for Tuesday's Champion Hurdle.

"He had an allergy two weeks ago that did not respond to initial medication and, on veterinary advice and well within normal parameters, he required a further treatment the following day.

"As we were getting close to the most important race of the year, and also because since that administration to Binocular, another horse had tested positive for the same substance, I thought it prudent to take a precautionary test which not only surprisingly, let alone devastatingly, has also shown to be positive.

"We have, therefore, reluctantly had to take the BHA's advice this morning that the only reasonable course in everybody's interest is not to confirm the entry and he has consequently been withdrawn from the Champion Hurdle.

"We are all obviously shattered but I am particularly upset for JP [McManus] who has been incredibly understanding, as I know how much this horse means to him."

A BHA statement confirmed the Authority had warned connections Binocular would test positive on raceday.

"The Authority received an elective test request from Nicky Henderson this week. The results of those tests came through on Thursday and Binocular had a screening finding for a legitimate veterinary medication," the statement said.

"We all wanted to give Binocular every chance to run, both from connections point of view and also thinking of those that had backed him for the Champion Hurdle, therefore over the weekend HFL tested further samples.

"The results of those tests were still positive. We advised Nicky Henderson and his vets of this result on Saturday night and, bearing in mind that against expectations the levels of the substance were remaining constant, the clear advice was that Binocular would test positive on raceday.

"We were informed following a further conference call with connections this morning that they had therefore decided not to declare the horse.

"Because the horse has not run and because the substance is a legitimate medication, we want to beclear that thisscreening finding is not a breach of the rules. We will continue to assist where we can in establishing when Binocular tests negative and can therefore race again."

William Hill make Menorah 3-1 favourite, Hurricane Fly 7-2 second best and Peddlers Cross 4-1 third favourite.

Menorah is also 3-1 with Coral, who go 7-2 about their joint second-favourites Hurricane Fly and Peddlers Cross.

Fuck sake!

Binocular withdrawn from the champion hurdle.

Does anyone know if Betfair will give me my stake back? Also had money on Tranquil sea but that's also been withdrawn. A cracking start to proceedings..

I think you may struggle to get your money back on Betfair.

Surprised to see so many big name betting firms refunding stakes on Binocular, although i'm sure they'll make it back this week!

Not surprised to hear Coral aren't refunding it. They really are the tightest of bookmakers and i'd advise anyone to steer clear of using them.

A friend of a friend who is in the know of the crack and that..

Divine Rhapsody in the Bumper on Wed - he reckons Each Way as its 25's

Currently best-priced at 16/1 - possibly being backed in because it's been selected in today's race-by-race guide in the Racing Post.

It's out of the Fly and Menorah for the Champion Hurdle for me. Menorah has won it's last 3 at Cheltenham and it's Hurricane Fly's first outing at the course. It beat Menorah by a good few lengths at Punchestown earlier in the season.

Ruby Walsh is on Hurricane Fly, too. So that's a bit of a dealbreaker for me.

It's out of the Fly and Menorah for the Champion Hurdle for me. Menorah has won it's last 3 at Cheltenham and it's Hurricane Fly's first outing at the course. It beat Menorah by a good few lengths at Punchestown earlier in the season.

Ruby Walsh is on Hurricane Fly, too. So that's a bit of a dealbreaker for me.

I've taken a punt on Khyber Kim at 12/1 to go one better than last year, but it might just find Menorah too good.

Sunnyhill Boy in the 2:40, Maljimar in the 4:00 and Definity in the last at 5:15 all look like worthy (near) favourites - the latter 2 also having been tipped by Pricewise in the Racing Post this morning.