You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The problem with sacking Rafa was that when we lost him, we lost the last person in the club's management who pre-dated Hicks and Gillette, and the last man who knew his football.

To say 'I wanted Rafa sacked but didn't deserve Hodgson' is naivety in the extreme. Who did you think Purslow and Broughton would appoint? Even the latter, who came out of the whole mess looking pretty shiny, authored the famous 'unfortunately the press didn't think so' line. He was a press appointment by people who understood business, but not football.

In wanting Benitez sacked this summer, you consented to the managerial appointment being in the hands of a board that knew nothing about what would signify strong candidacy. That is not disputable. If you trusted them to make the right managerial appointment: why? On what basis? How could the club have attracted a top manager with its hamstrung finances and high expectations? How could the men making the decision possibly know who the right manager was?

They operated on a soundbite basis and got a soundbite manager. "He'll steady the ship; LMA Manager of the Year; oh he did brilliantly with Fulham...''

You put your trust in people to make that kind of decision, you can't wash your hands when they make the wrong one.

Great fucking post.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted Rafa gone.

I didn't want this clueless fuck to replace him.

So cunt off...

What the fuck did you think would happen when we were 7th and not in Europe and just sacked Rafa?

That Mourinho or Hiddink would just walk in?

THAT is why you lot are fucking stupid, you thought something through to such a pathetically short degree and then mouthed off about it.

Raf was always the best manager we were going to get under the circumstances, which also included the yanks at the time, yeah, the top managers were queuing up for it...

Fucks sake.

I'm trying to hard to convey my thoughts on here so I'll give it a go, even if the reply will be sarcastic digs.

First a few admissions

1. I was wrong. Any manager couldn't do a better job than Rafa. But that doesn't mean we where wrong to sack Rafa. He had lost the dressing room, key players wanted him out, and he was doing more harm than good.

2. Purslow made a fuck up. Not in sacking Benitez. Roy Hodgson was the wrong choice, totally 100% the wrong man for the job. I never once claimed he was the right man for the job, I may have hinted to a feel good factor, or wanted to see more support for him. But I did not once want him as manager, he wasn't on my list of candidates.

Anyway back to the crux of the post

Rafael Benitez has been sacked twice in 6 months, he alienated key players, ruined the relationship between Mellwood and Kirkby. He ruined relationships with clubs, and although things are much worse now. Fucking hell, lets not pretend things where great back then either.

I don't know what is is with our fan base and Rafa. Is it Istanbul? It has to be. I can't see how it's anything else. The man had great games, but the majority where mediocre littered with moments of gold. The football we played in the later parts of 2008/2009 was fantastic, but was the exception not the rule.

Honestly. I'm lost for words, because we've been over this ground so many times, it's not even funny anymore, there needs to be a line drawn under it.

We've got fans setting up twitter accounts, petitions wanting the man who went from 2nd to 7th. Fucked off one of our best players replacing him with an Injury prone Italian. Coming out with shit like saying...Look I'm not going to go into it, people who agree with me know the reasons, people who don't agree with me aren't going to be convinced either way.

When we got Hodgson in, his job description was to steady the ship, he's sank it. He was clearly the wrong man for the job, although going by his contract, he wasn't meant to be here for a very long time either.

Eugh

I'm off for a few weeks until we get a new manager, because I'm angry, we're all angry.

The problem with sacking Rafa was that when we lost him, we lost the last person in the club's management who pre-dated Hicks and Gillette, and the last man who knew his football.

To say 'I wanted Rafa sacked but didn't deserve Hodgson' is naivety in the extreme. Who did you think Purslow and Broughton would appoint? Even the latter, who came out of the whole mess looking pretty shiny, authored the famous 'unfortunately the press didn't think so' line. He was a press appointment by people who understood business, but not football.

In wanting Benitez sacked this summer, you consented to the managerial appointment being in the hands of a board that knew nothing about what would signify strong candidacy. That is not disputable. If you trusted them to make the right managerial appointment: why? On what basis? How could the club have attracted a top manager with its hamstrung finances and high expectations? How could the men making the decision possibly know who the right manager was?

They operated on a soundbite basis and got a soundbite manager. "He'll steady the ship; LMA Manager of the Year; oh he did brilliantly with Fulham...''

You put your trust in people to make that kind of decision, you can't wash your hands when they make the wrong one.

Perfectly put.

Doubt it will be heard by many , but true regardless.

Yep. I still can't believe the lack of perspective from so many, and the fact that they still defend the position now.

It went far beyond whether Benitez was still the man for the job. We were ALWAYS going to end up with the wrong man under Hicks and Gillett. It should have been a decision for the new regime.

Now we're facing our third manager in less than a year. Newcastlesque.

I'm trying to hard to convey my thoughts on here so I'll give it a go, even if the reply will be sarcastic digs.

First a few admissions

1. I was wrong. Any manager couldn't do a better job than Rafa. But that doesn't mean we where wrong to sack Rafa. He had lost the dressing room, key players wanted him out, and he was doing more harm than good.

2. Purslow made a fuck up. Not in sacking Benitez. Roy Hodgson was the wrong choice, totally 100% the wrong man for the job. I never once claimed he was the right man for the job, I may have hinted to a feel good factor, or wanted to see more support for him. But I did not once want him as manager, he wasn't on my list of candidates.

Rafael Benitez has been sacked twice in 6 months, he alienated key players, ruined the relationship between Mellwood and Kirkby. He ruined relationships with clubs, and although things are much worse now. Fucking hell, lets not pretend things where great back then either.

I don't know what is is with our fan base and Rafa. Is it Istanbul? It has to be. I can't see how it's anything else. The man had great games, but the majority where mediocre littered with moments of gold. The football we played in the later parts of 2008/2009 was fantastic, but was the exception not the rule.

Honestly. I'm lost for words, because we've been over this ground so many times, it's not even funny anymore, there needs to be a line drawn under it.

We've got fans setting up twitter accounts, petitions wanting the man who went from 2nd to 7th. Fucked off one of our best players replacing him with an Injury prone Italian. Coming out with shit like saying...Look I'm not going to go into it, people who agree with me know the reasons, people who don't agree with me aren't going to be convinced either way.

When we got Hodgson in, his job description was to steady the ship, he's sank it. He was clearly the wrong man for the job, although going by his contract, he wasn't meant to be here for a very long time either.

Eugh

I'm off for a few weeks until we get a new manager, because I'm angry, we're all angry.

Rafa was LFC through and through, he wasn't afraid to ruffle a few feathers ,

and he did it it for the club.

He came here as a top manager and the only thing that stopped his progress was the sale of the club to the wrong buyers.

No manager on earth is faultless, and why do you think the so called top premiership managers fell out with him? ..because he didn't give a fuck about them , their clubs or their reputation.

We lost a top manager , and we will do well to get another as good in the near future.

First a few admissions

Eugh

Attention seeking gobshite. Tatty bye.

I wanted him gone and I'm not ashamed to admit it. We were hopeless last season. Yes we are worse now but the rot started with Rafa. Funny how the Rafa-fanatics keep forgetting this. People on this forum are saying this is the worse state we've ever been in. Last season many reds were saying the same thing when we suffered one dismal performance after another under Rafa. Just because the Hodge has been a disaster does not mean it was wrong to sack Benitez. It was the right decision to fire him, but it was the wrong decision to hire Hodgson.

I wanted him gone and I'm not ashamed to admit it. We were hopeless last season. Yes we are worse now but the rot started with Rafa. Funny how the Rafa-fanatics keep forgetting this. People on this forum are saying this is the worse state we've ever been in. Last season many reds were saying the same thing when we suffered one dismal performance after another under Rafa. Just because the Hodge has been a disaster does not mean it was wrong to sack Benitez. It was the right decision to fire him, but it was the wrong decision to hire Hodgson.

You watch quite a bit of Sky don't you?

it's about perspective, when you get to the end of the season you look at where you are and how you got there. one bad season in six, against a background of hicks gillette, little to spend, beach ball goals and an injury plagued season up against man city and a spurs in their form of their lives. and no doubt rafa made mistakes inc the signing of aquilani

i just don't think this was enough to remove the manager.

like i asked before what if we had sacked shanks in the early years?

even if some were still of the opinion that he should have gone, fair enough.

but how could any sensible fan advocate it being done by purslow et al? that at least is where you have to accept what a mistake it was.

some people had too much trust in the people in charge at the time. others could see that not only was it the wrong decision, it was not their decision to make

I wanted him gone and I'm not ashamed to admit it. We were hopeless last season. Yes we are worse now but the rot started with Rafa. Funny how the Rafa-fanatics keep forgetting this. People on this forum are saying this is the worse state we've ever been in. Last season many reds were saying the same thing when we suffered one dismal performance after another under Rafa. .

Some shocking performances under Rafa last season, one after another it was, relentless. Lucky to stay up we were.

0-0 Blackburn away last season, Torres missed the game through injury, his 5th game in a row injured. But then again you probably already knew that eh. I'm so sorry you had to witness last season. Massively below your standards, and ours, having not won a league title in twenty years.

Rafa took a side from 2nd to 7th, and took the European Champions from all conquerors to also-rans in 6 months. He deserved to get the boot here, and he deserved to get the boot at Inter. For someone who "knew his football", he currently has no job. What does that tell you?