You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who do you want as manager when the 2011/2012 season starts?

Wor Horse

Who do you want as manager next season and beyond?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager next season and beyond?

• Roy Hodgson
    • Kenneth Dalglish
    • Rafael Benitez
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Other [State in thread]

What I like about Coyle is that he has had experience managing a number of clubs with "relative" success at them at.

He career has never been at the top by any stretch of the imagination - for this reasona he will appreciate the job he has.

As an Irish / Scot / British Manager of a certain age - he will understand what makes our club special.

If a success he could be here for 15 years.

I could see him in Tandem with Kenny for a season ( or 2) to guide him through the pressures, expectations etc. of being a liverpool manager.

Working with Kenny would take some of the those pressures of him

Vis a vis why not Holloway. Holloway always looks like he is about to explode - imaine dealing with the pressure here! I like him though.

Regarding Deschamps - I want us to build a dynasty here again - like Shanks, Bob, Joe, Kenny... Deschamps will bring his people in, in time he will move on to Spain or back to Italy and there will be a turnaround in staff again. I think for the top continental coaches there is a culture to move on and experience different countries. Having said that, that was one of the really special things about Rafa was that he bought into Liverpool, its city, its people and its location. Im not sure all continentals would do so...

Re Villa Boas... he looks to be the real deal - has picked up the best of Mourinho from him and plays apparently better football. However if im being honest..

for me a good up and coming Britisher, who plays the right stuff, and have him mentored by the King and build a dynesty going forward is the ideal.

Plus i like the fact that Coyle when can pulls the boots on like he did recently in a friendly and apparently scored a cracker.

Great post.

I like the fact that Coyle's teams play without fear and attack teams irrespective of the opposition and whether they are playing at home or away. This was highlighted in the Carling cup a few seasons ago when his Burnley side beat Chelsea and Arsenal on the way to the semi final before they were narrowly beaten by Spurs over 2 legs.

What I like about Coyle is that he has had experience managing a number of clubs with "relative" success at them at.

He career has never been at the top by any stretch of the imagination - for this reasona he will appreciate the job he has.

As an Irish / Scot / British Manager of a certain age - he will understand what makes our club special.

I could see him in Tandem with Kenny for a season ( or 2) to guide him through the pressures, expectations etc. of being a liverpool manager.

Vis a vis why not Holloway. Holloway always looks like he is about to explode - imaine dealing with the pressure here! I like him though.

Regarding Deschamps - I want us to build a dynasty here again - like Shanks, Bob, Joe, Kenny... Deschamps will bring his people in, in time he will move on to Spain or back to Italy and there will be a turnaround in staff again. I think for the top continental coaches there is a culture to move on and experience different countries. Having said that, that was one of the really special things about Rafa was that he bought into Liverpool, its city, its people and its location. Im not sure all continentals would do so...

Re Villa Boas... he looks to be the real deal - has picked up the best of Mourinho from him and plays apparently better football. However if im being honest..

for me a good up and coming Britisher, who plays the right stuff, and have him mentored by the King and build a dynesty going forward is the ideal.

Plus i like the fact that Coyle when can pulls the boots on like he did recently in a friendly and apparently scored a cracker.

Good post - respect your argument and point of view. I am not sure that Coyle would match up to the ideal but I'd love to stand corrected.

Great post.

I like the fact that Coyle's teams play without fear and attack teams irrespective of the opposition and whether they are playing at home or away. This was highlighted in the Carling cup a few seasons ago when his Burnley side beat Chelsea and Arsenal on the way to the semi final before they were narrowly beaten by Spurs over 2 legs.

That's easier when you've got 'nothing' to lose though, isn't it?

Would he apply the same philosophy at a club where expectation - bar away against the top 3-4 - is to win every game?

I've no idea. In fact, I'd hardly heard his name spoken prior to this season, so I know very little about him. It's hard not to lump him in amongst O'Neill, Curbishley, Redknapp etc.

Plus, how would the players react? New owners, financial stability, huge visions for the future, and then....Owen Coyle?

He only does friendlies now since Daniel Ayala kicked lumps off him in the ressies last season.

The last Manager to win us a majot trophy is available. Dont care what the press or LMA think.

Why we are shouting for unproven people like Coyle is beyond me. We want someone with a proven track record of winning things as that is what this club ( used ) to be about.

I can understand people who dont want Rafa as he brought a lot of the problems on himself and i'm sure given his time over again would do somethings a little differently.

We have to realise that Rafa endured 2 years of broken promises and moving goal posts. Could anyone do their job properly under H & G??

Coyle is a good call, Most important part for me a new manager has to have a positive attitude. I really don't think I can take much more of Roy building up all the teams we play as a brazil team of the 70's and playing down our expectations at every chance.

I like Coyle but I think we need someone with more pedigree. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be gutted if it was him, but I think it would be more of a gamble than I would want to see us taking right now. Obviously Rafa isn't coming back, and it's highly unlikely that Roy will still be here, so we should be looking for someone who has a track record of success wherever he has been. Deschamps looks a solid choice on paper, but that Villas Boas bloke is almost as unproven as Coyle. He could be an absolute master-stroke appointment or it could all go horribly wrong. Besides, do we even know if the bloke speaks English?

In short, I don't really know, but of the list in the poll I would go with Deschamps. I have a feeling there might be somoene better out there, though.

Andre Villas Boas, perhaps Jurgen Klopp or closer to home Owen Coyle seems to be developing into a very fine manager. I'd just love to see someone who came in with a bit of direction and got the team moving forward playing more positive football. I wouldn't have a problem with setbacks even the odd pasting if I could buy into us genuinely building something up over several years.

The bald Norgie nutter. He's clinically dead anyway, and not scared of anyone:

http://www.7sur7.be/static/FOTO/pe/0/7/3/media_xl_3929523.jpg?20101103102917

I want this from our manager, the red wine is for me...

I voted Benitez, would love to see him come back and turn things around (as well as giving a few players and fans the kick up their backside they deserve). If that's not possible, I think Ståle Solbakken is as good an option as many of the aforementioned. Young, has experienced both good and bad times both as manager and player, and has his team playing fantastic football at times. A big step from the Danish league to the top (?) of English football of course, but all of the other candidates realistically available would struggle just as much, I think. One can simply not prepare for a job of this magnitude, either you've got it or not in my opinion. I think Solbakken has. Besides, his FCK are the one team I've seen giving Barca real problems this season, and I think they could cause Chelsea the same if they keep it up (and he stays there that long)..

Solbakken is contracted to the Norwegian National team from next year, but I'm guessing that's something that could be worked on...

Owen Coyle has yet to build anything at the top end of the game. Burnley started the season dead well and he's turned Bolton into a watchable side but after our "adventure" this season we need to be careful on viewing a limited CV.

Similarly Villas Boas should probably not be in the line of thought yet. He had an average season with an average side, who have in fact got a better points return and number of goals scored on average this season than they had last season. He's currently made a superb start at Porto but that is currently all it is, a start. He'd do well to stay and build something before moving on.

If Deschamps can win Ligue 1 again this season with Marseille then he's deffo a name to be considered. He has done well at the 3 clubs he's been at and mostly looked good at the very top end.

I fear Deschamps - my choice last summer - will be rather out of our league come June - he potentially could have the pick of Chelsea (withg whom he has emotional ties), Man City, Inter. He simply isn't going to come to a team out the CL, let alone one out of European football completely.

In which case I'd opt for Coyle, at this point in time: those of you saying 'he's got no experience' or 'what has he won' - well, wouldn't you have said that about a certain Mr Benitez when appointed at Valencia? What credentials did he have then?

Where we are as a club we have to spot the next potentially great manager and then give him the tools to become one. We also have to be patient and give him time to make mistakes. We can't expect to be attractive to a big name when we're a mid-table team with a md-table squad built on a mid-table budget, and indeed I'd actually be very suspicious of the motives of any 'big-name' managers wanting to come here right now. I'd also be very suspicious of anyone appointed to appease an element of the fans, many of whom continue to hanker after the past (whether that is Kenny or Rafa). We need to look to the future and be bold now.

Why can't we get a big name? Is Owen Coyle the extent of our ambition now? No disrespect to him but I think we can and will do better. And it will have nothing to do with the nasty Spanish man and the "mediocre" players he left. Do me a favour. I agree that Deschamps might be in a position to take his pick but that doesn't mean we should restrict ourselves. Any manager with high ability should be considered.

I have a lot of time for Coyle. He went to Bolton and promised good football and progress and so far he's delivered. Compared to the shite fat Sam and other previous Bolton managers had served up, Coyle's team is almost Barca-like in comparison.

But as a manager he's still work in progress and nowhere near ready to take on a club like Liverpool. Maybe in a few years, but not yet.

I fear Deschamps - my choice last summer - will be rather out of our league come June - he potentially could have the pick of Chelsea (withg whom he has emotional ties), Man City, Inter. He simply isn't going to come to a team out the CL, let alone one out of European football completely.

Maybe Inter but if they get a new manager now then we may get lucky.

With Chelsea, he is a former player but I think Ancelotti will survive this shit storm they are in. He is too good a coach to get fired. One of the smartest coaches around and a good friend of Roman so Chelsea have to drop out of top 4 for him to be fired.

I don't quite understand why Man City would sack Mancini, who is doing a decent job, to bring in Deschamps.