You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who do you want as manager when the 2011/2012 season starts?

Wor Horse

Who do you want as manager next season and beyond?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager next season and beyond?

• Roy Hodgson
    • Kenneth Dalglish
    • Rafael Benitez
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Other [State in thread]

Deschamps he knows the league, well respected, good style of play, proven track record and most importantly young - ticks all the boxes.

We just have to get this one right more than ever, the next gaffer needs to be here for 10 years. Kenny couldnt bring the long term vision or philosophy Deschamps could he'd give us a new direction.

Unsure with Van Gaal

While he has done a decent job most places he has been,he falls out with people all the time.

He's won the league at every club he's managed. He has a reputation for promoting youth, but he's said that he picks players on ability rather than age. If they're good enough, they're old enough.

Benitez back on a six monther would be anarchy. The summer would roll around with the same debates (owner backing, net spend, etc.) still raging on.

I'd take the King back on a six-month caretaker basis with the idea of potentially appointing a more suitable long-term candidate in the summer. If he does well, I wouldn't be averse to hiring him on a longer deal.

Right now, though? Couldn't say. Depends what state the clubs in. Any of the above would do for if they're up for it - bar Hodgson, although clarifying the point is bordering on the tautological.

Would crawl over the surface of Venus for Bielsa, but it is more likely that a tribe of Amazonian women will be discovered and worship me as their God for eternity.

Bielsa would be great, especially considering his attacking mentality. You would though have to be a little worried about being a bit leaky at the back as a result.

Marcelo Bielsa

I love this little excerpt from the above Wiki page.

Former Argentine national team captain Roberto Ayala and defender under Bielsa stated
Sometimes we wouldn't see any of the strikers, because he'd have them training at a different time, and it was the same with the midfielders. He's an innovator, and one of the people who I've learned most from during my career.

He He, a nice quote there from Ayala. Okay I realize that Bielsa has a very attacking philosophy which is one of the main reasons I like him.

It would just be nice for a Liverpool manager to be able to say

"Okay boys let's rip the fucking shit out of them today"

Instead of defending like a team of pussies with absolutely no attacking ambition that we've seen over the last two seasons.

He He, a nice quote there from Ayala. Okay I realize that Bielsa has a very attacking philosophy which is one of the main reasons I like him.

It would just be nice for a Liverpool manager to be able to say

"Okay boys let's rip the fucking shit out of them today"

Instead of defending like a team of pussies with absolutely no attacking ambition that we've seen over the last two seasons.

Couldn't agree more mate. I'd love us to play with the freedom that Chile have played with during Bielsa's reign, but I'm not sure those tactics would translate very well over here in Europe. I don't doubt for a moment that Bielsa could be a success in European football, as I'm sure he's got several tactical tricks up his sleeve, but he'd probably be best suited to La Liga.

Couldn't agree more mate. I'd love us to play with the freedom that Chile have played with during Bielsa's reign, but I'm not sure those tactics would translate very well over here in Europe. I don't doubt for a moment that Bielsa could be a success in European football, as I'm sure he's got several tactical tricks up his sleeve, but he'd probably be best suited to La Liga.

I think I read something by Tim Vickery a while back who reckoned that Bielsa was probably not that suited for club management as his style of play needs really fit players bombing about all over the pitch and that over the course of a season players would get too knackered.

Don't know if that is backed up by his club management career or not.