You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who do you want as manager when the 2011/2012 season starts?

Wor Horse

Who do you want as manager next season and beyond?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager next season and beyond?

• Roy Hodgson
    • Kenneth Dalglish
    • Rafael Benitez
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Other [State in thread]

I think I read something by Tim Vickery a while back who reckoned that Bielsa was probably not that suited for club management as his style of play needs really fit players bombing about all over the pitch and that over the course of a season players would get too knackered.

Don't know if that is backed up by his club management career or not.

He's managed a few clubs in South and Central America, and won a few titles with a couple of the sides. He also had a brief stint in charge of Espanyol back in 1998 before he took the Argentine national job.

Personally, I think Bielsa prefers the international scene, and I'd doubt whether he'd ever return to club management, or at least club management in Europe.

Here's a run down of who he has managed, and the honours he has won during his managerial career:

1990–1992 Newell's Old Boys

1992–1994 Club Atlas

1995–1996 Club America

1997–1998 Velez Sarsfield

1998 Espanyol

1998–2004 Argentina

2007–2010 Chile

Club

Argentina Newell's Old Boys

* Primera Division

o Winner (2): 1990-1991, Clausura 1992

* Copa Libertadores

o Runner-up: 1992 Copa Libertadores

Argentina Vélez Sársfield

* Primera Division

o Winner (1): Clausura 1998

International

Argentina

* Olympic Games

o Gold Gold Medal (1): 2004 Olympic Games

* Copa América

o Runner-up: 2004

I think if Porto, Marseille, Bolton do well this season, we should consider their managers. For Villas Boas and Deschamps, winning the league is a must I guess.

Not sure how to judge Bolton and Owen Coyle tbh. He has 32 % win rate since Jan and 30% this season (the same as Hodgson) with 4 home wins and 2 away wins. A lot can change in the next few months - his record can improve or falter (especially if some of the teams strengthen in Jan). If Bolton finish 5th then he will be a serious contender I guess but it seems too unrealistic for a club like Bolton.

Would love Van Gaal (unlikely to come here though).

Would be disappointed with Deschamps.

Agree with this,except i dont want Deschamps.

If you want attacking football maybe the current Dortmund manager.

As for an up and coming manager i rate Paul Lambert at Norwich as a big name for the future too.

Edited by VladimirIlyich

Pep Guardiola. However, back in the real world, of the young and up-comng managers I know, Owen Coyle does stand out. For me the priority is someone who will get the team playing aggressive and fluid attacking football. I'm fucking sick of the mostly insipid shite we've had served up for so many years now.

Villas Boas would be a good shout.

Don't understand the clamour for Coyle. I know he's a different animal to Hodgson, but surely if the debacle of the last six months has taught us anything it's that exceeding expectations at a small club doesn't necessarily translate to doing well at a big club.

He might turn out to be the next great manager but at this point in time it would be a massive gamble. I'd far prefer Villas Boas, Emery, Deschamps or the like who have managed under considerable pressure.