You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cheap Young Driver Car Insurance

Deepz

Just passed my driving test the other day :yes: but as you know car insurance for 17 year old males is not cheap! Best price ive been quoted so far is 2400, and thats with my old man as the named driver, for an 11 year old 1 litre vauxhall corsa. Most companies are saying they can insure me for around 6-12k, and that isn't happening! Aviva actually said 18k! Was just asking the GF if any of you had experience of a cheap insurance provider for a 17 year old, would be greatly appreciated!

Just passed my driving test the other day :yes: but as you know car insurance for 17 year old males is not cheap! Best price ive been quoted so far is 2400, and thats with my old man as the named driver, for an 11 year old 1 litre vauxhall corsa. Most companies are saying they can insure me for around 6-12k, and that isn't happening! Aviva actually said 18k! Was just asking the GF if any of you had experience of a cheap insurance provider for a 17 year old, would be greatly appreciated!

you looking for fully comp or TPFT? From experience mate, don't even bother looking for fully comp with the details you got. Go TPFT with an old car like you describe and build up some no claims bonus. It should get cheaper every year.

To be honest I think you'll end up paying around £700 for that :( insurance is a bitch. I'm 30, got 13 years no claims in a car, 3 years on a motorbike and still pay a good £400 a year fully comp for a 1.6 Focus and £250 fully comp for a 1250cc motorbike. Death... taxes.. and car insurance.

Oh and I know this sounds like a pussy thing.. but Pass Plus or advanced driver training will reduce your insurance by a fuck ton. And if you got any mates living in posh areas, insure your car there, making sure you state on the policy accurately what type of location your car is kept over night (public road, locked compound etc)

HTH

you looking for fully comp or TPFT? From experience mate, don't even bother looking for fully comp with the details you got. Go TPFT with an old car like you describe and build up some no claims bonus. It should get cheaper every year.

Yeah it is TPFT mate, when I had just me on the insurance, i was getting quotes ranging from 8-25k, so there is a lot of difference with me having my dad on there. Seems like an impossible situation at the moment, I've passed the test, so therefore I should be safe :wallbutt:

Yeah it is TPFT mate, when I had just me on the insurance, i was getting quotes ranging from 8-25k, so there is a lot of difference with me having my dad on there. Seems like an impossible situation at the moment, I've passed the test, so therefore I should be safe :wallbutt:

Try Elephant (underwritten by Admiral), they can be alright. Get your mum on there, too - better than your dad as female drivers are lower risk. Having said that, you won't find anything cheap because, as a young driver, you are high risk. Hope your pockets are deepz.

A massive factor is also your postcode. Most Liverpool postcodes have moved up a rung on the crime hotspot ladder.

Have you got a relative who lives in a posh area, then you could register the car at there abode. Thus giving you a better quote.

Hmm, those 2k+ quotes etc are basically saying 'we don't want your custom' so don't even consider taking them!

I'd suggest trying your own insurance policy but putting the voluntary excess up to the maximum, even if its like 90% of the value of the car. This should reduce the cost hugely. The way to look at insurance in your situation is, its a gamble. You gotta have it to drive legally, and as you drive more, it gets cheaper hopefully.

I don't want to get direct you towards anything but.. in the past I've been very 'imaginative' with some of the information I've provided to insurance companies. I.e. outside my house has become locked compound, 15,000 mile a year mileage has become 1,000, social, pleasure + commuting has become social and pleasure, reducing premiums hugely.

If you make a claim, you have to be careful to keep your tissue of lies intact (i.e if you haven't insured it for commuting and someone crashes into you on the way to work, you were going the shop, right?)

Good luck mate and keep searching, don't get suckered into paying one of those "we don't want your custom" quotes but from the sounds of it, anything under £1000 would be worth considering :(

Have you got a relative who lives in a posh area, then you could register the car at there abode. Thus giving you a better quote.

This - and without going into details, i've had a claim on a car registered 25 miles away from where I live. Settled with no problem at all. They only 'assume' that your billing address is where the vehicle is kept overnight.

To be honest I think you'll end up paying around £700 for that :( insurance is a bitch. I'm 30, got 13 years no claims in a car, 3 years on a motorbike and still pay a good £400 a year fully comp for a 1.6 Focus and £250 fully comp for a 1250cc motorbike. Death... taxes.. and car insurance.

Oh and I know this sounds like a pussy thing.. but Pass Plus or advanced driver training will reduce your insurance by a fuck ton. And if you got any mates living in posh areas, insure your car there, making sure you state on the policy accurately what type of location your car is kept over night (public road, locked compound etc)

HTH

Not a chance. He'll be lucky to get away with £3000 for 3rd Party Fire and Theft.

A massive factor is also your postcode. Most Liverpool postcodes have moved up a rung on the crime hotspot ladder.

I'm in NW London mate, crimes not too bad here compared to the rest of London, but apparently a lot of people have been claiming, so it's put the premiums up. Tried Elephant and they said i was uninsurable :| Haha Chicken that's a quality story, unfortunately, with no NCB on this car (Dad's using it on another car) the price is always gonna be high (2000+)

Not a chance. He'll be lucky to get away with £3000 for 3rd Party Fire and Theft.

seriously? fucking hell, i am well out of date then. are new drivers seriously expected to pay that? jeezus... poor fuckers

my apologies then mate, it sounds like you are gonna have to bend over and take a huge, direct debit cock up the arse for a good few years :(

There is no such thing as 'Cheap Young Driver Car Insurance'.

Very true. I'm not a young driver anymore, and I had to renew my policy with the same insurer because they were £100 cheaper than everyone else, yet still £80 up on last year, with no changes whatsoever, so I can well imagine the horrendous figures quoted to young drivers.

If the car is a cheap banger, there's no point going for more than TPFT. Also, don't take the easy way out by insuring the vehicle in your parents' name. The insurers know it's your car and that only you will be using it, so they'll hammer you anyway. Plus you won't earn any no claims bonus either. The best thing is to add a parent as a 2nd driver (preferably the parent with no claims or convictions) because this does save some money, and you start building up your no claims.

Include the legal cover because seeking legal advice independently will put you out of pocket by more than £25-odd, but don't include the insurer's breakdown cover (unless it's free of course). It's much cheaper, if you really want it, to get the basic cover from the AA or RAC. Don't quote stupid annual mileages if you aren't going to be running the car for huge distances on a regular basis.

If you expect to be changing jobs within the 12 months you want your insurance to start, then go to a price comparison website and get quotes with both your current and proposed occupation. When the list of insurers comes up, keep an eye on the one that quotes well on both. That way, when you (and you should) ring up to notify them of the change, you won't be unexpectedly hammered for the change. I know of one person who was working in an office, and rang the insurer to tell them she was now a student. They wouldn't cover her because they didn't insure student risk, so they had to cancel the policy mid-term. She told me she had about 4 months to go and that it was her first policy. She did get some money back on it, but had to start from scratch to build up her no claim bonus again.

A big deal is made about Pass Plus, but quite often, you won't save nearly as much as it costs to do the Pass Plus course in the first place. That decision is up to you though.

As for which insurers to try, apart from the price comparison websites, it's worth finding out who your folks insure with. Assuming you still live with them, the fact they are with that insurer suggests they rate quite well in your area. Your postcode and overnight parking situation are significant factors so bear that in mind. Also, if you are going to go away to university and plan on using your car, then check with the insurer that they're OK with you parking the car overnight at a different address to your home one. However, keep your home address as your main one so that all correspondence goes there. It's less hassle than changing it every time you move.

seriously? fucking hell, i am well out of date then. are new drivers seriously expected to pay that? jeezus... poor fuckers

my apologies then mate, it sounds like you are gonna have to bend over and take a huge, direct debit cock up the arse for a good few years :(

Just did a quick search on a quote site and the best that came up was £2,896.10 for TPF&T. They all want want at least £600 upfront as well with some asking for £1000 deposit.

There are some quotes around the £7500 mark... madness.

I remember when i passed my test back in '94 and i had an old Fiesta that a friend of my dad gave my for nothing, it was a shed but had a 950 engine so I thought it would be cheap to insure. How I was wrong, I was getting quotes around the £700 mark which I couldn't afford. Mum had a word with dad and I got put on their insurance on a 2.8i Granada Scorpio which was ace for a 17 year old. Fiesta went to the scrappy, Scorpio seen some action.

Try E-Car Insurance on the pay as you go (monthly) policy. If you stick with them for 8 months solid they give you a years no claims. There seems to be a maximum to what they quote which is reasonable compared to most.

I'm paying 86 quid a month on a 12 yr old Punto on a provisional license (I'm 30 mind). I got quotes based on a full license and it went down to about 60.

Also, try getting quotes for both fully comp and TPFT. Fully comp works out cheaper with most insurers for some reason.

Get a sex change and you'll save about another 40%

Auntie Meat and myself are paying around £400 ish fully comp on a 18i 16V Zafira Elegance. Apparently, the 16V bit classes it as the sporty model and is therefore more expensive than other Zafiras. This with 1 years NCB.

Postcode makes one fuckload of a difference.

Forgot to add, this is including breakdown, windscreen, legal cover and £250 excess.