You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

M'side presenter said he heard on 5live that Alonso might coming back. He said he was fed up having no regular 1st team place. Anybody hear it on 5, they haven't expanded on m'side?

If someone wants to start making up rumours why don't they get the facts straight before putting them out? Xabi has started all of their games. Fucking idiots trying to wind people up. One thing is silly rumours, this is just a shit one.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He left at a great time, just as he'd had his best season (Form he hasn't recreated at Madrid), a major reason he wanted to go because of the difference in exchange rates. I'm not accusing him of being greedy, but I guess he was sick of seeing how much he was losing to the tax man. Real had a massive project and wanted him so badly, chance to be a part of that. Also because I imagine he didn't want to spend too much longer abroad and wanted to go home to Spain.

Guest PurpleNose
That alone is reason enough to come back.

Pretty sure its just done on length of time at the club.

Can't think of any players at Real Madrid, apart from Casillas, that have been there as long as Ramos.

We're the only country that really gives a fuck about captaincy.

You don't win matches or play beautiful football having Lucas and Poulsen pass it sideways or backwards inside your own half..... I'd rather look for the number of shots at target or crosses into the box....

Rather my point - stats rarely tell you anything when it comes to football. Even the two examples you give are fairly meaningless: I remember when Houllier regularly used to come up with the 'most shots in the division' when he was trying to justify the tedious, counter-attacking, turgid rubbish that his post-2001 teams were putting out! (most of these were desperate 50 yard punts, by my memory).

As for crosses. I remember Paul Tomkins joyously celebrating Jermaine Pennant's signing by drawing attention to him having recorded the most number of crosses (96? 98?) in the 2005-6 season - again, meaningless, as the opta stats also showed that Birmingham scored fewer goals than any other team that year in the PL from crosses into the box or set pieces!!

Those who rely on stats rarely have an imaginative life. I prefer to rely on what i see and perceive - and what Roy's team has produced this season is far from palatable or entertaining!

Nobody could waft a cross like Pennant.

Pennant couldn't even waft a cross like Pennant!

It's funny actually because I was watching Stoke the other week and he put in one of those floated crosses of his and Kenwyne Jones buried it. It just goes to show you how funny football can be doesn't it?

What can be a massive weakness to a player in one particular team can be a big strength in another team based on the difference in players that each team has.

One of the fascinating things about football...

Stats can be useful but they can also paint a false picture. It's best to judge things with what you see on the pitch rather than on the spreadsheet.

exactly what I was gonna say. Don't led media or stats distract from what is happening on the pitch. What I have seen on the pitch for vast majority of season is not good enough.

Stats can be useful but they can also paint a false picture. It's best to judge things with what you see on the pitch rather than on the spreadsheet.

Fucking right, i remember Carlking Opta had Phil Babb as most completed passes, therefore you could argue the most successful passder of the ball. Grade A shit!

xabi-500x556.jpg

Me llamo Vinculo. Diego Vinculo. (look it up)

Alonso is such a cool handsome bastard he can pull off the glasses-with-no-lenses look. It's sickening.

Sergio-and-Pepe-500x368.jpg

Sergio Ramos is one heroin baggie away from completing his transformation into Vincent Vega (the Pulp Fiction one, not the interloper who scans these very pages).

Statistically, Dracco is actually quite right: I was really surprised to find that we have played a much higher proportion of short passes so far this season than last.

I suppose the difference is that most of these are probably in our own half (given how deep we have been playing away from home). The almost complete lack of goals from open play is the consequence.

I can explain those stats:

10 short passes: 5 going forward, no options, 5 going backward, all the way to the centre back, then hoof.