You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will Purslow keep his job under the new regime?

myrlas

Christian Purslow gave Roy Hodgson a list of players he deemed worth selling Christian Purslow gave Roy Hodgson a list of players he deemed worth selling prior to ending his tenure as Liverpool managing director.

Roy Hodgson has revealed Christian Purslow, Liverpool's former managing director, handed him a list of players to sell in the summer and believes the team's recent improvement stems from his decision to ignore the businessman's advice.

The Liverpool manager did not disclose the names on the list of expendables as he gave an indication of the extent of boardroom interference at Anfield prior to October's takeover by New England Sports Ventures. However, Hodgson's admission came as he heralded the influence of the likes of Lucas Leiva, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, David Ngog and even Ryan Babel, who has impressed as a striker in Liverpool's past two matches, on recently enhanced performances.

"I got a list from Christian," said Hodgson. "He had been here for just over a year and was a big fan of the club as well as being managing director. He had very strong opinions about lots of players and he gave lots of opinions about them. I listened but I made it perfectly clear that I wouldn't act on it.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christian Purslow gave Roy Hodgson a list of players he deemed worth selling Christian Purslow gave Roy Hodgson a list of players he deemed worth selling prior to ending his tenure as Liverpool managing director.

Roy Hodgson has revealed Christian Purslow, Liverpool's former managing director, handed him a list of players to sell in the summer and believes the team's recent improvement stems from his decision to ignore the businessman's advice.

The Liverpool manager did not disclose the names on the list of expendables as he gave an indication of the extent of boardroom interference at Anfield prior to October's takeover by New England Sports Ventures. However, Hodgson's admission came as he heralded the influence of the likes of Lucas Leiva, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, David Ngog and even Ryan Babel, who has impressed as a striker in Liverpool's past two matches, on recently enhanced performances.

"I got a list from Christian," said Hodgson. "He had been here for just over a year and was a big fan of the club as well as being managing director. He had very strong opinions about lots of players and he gave lots of opinions about them. I listened but I made it perfectly clear that I wouldn't act on it.

I'm not going to be a hypocrite.

I was glad Rafa thought Purslow knew fuck all about football and wanted to do his own thing.

I'm glad Roy thought Purslow knew fuck all about football and wanted to do his own thing.

Pity Roy is shit.

Shocking bit of arrogance shown by Purslow, seriously who the fuck does he think he is by telling Roy who's good enough to be playing for the club.

Christain please stay the fuck away from the footballing decisions at the club, you're fucking clueless.

"Purslow handed Hodgson a list of players he wished to see depart Anfield after his appointment last summer. On the list were Ryan Babel, Maxi Rodriguez, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, David Ngog and Lucas"

I think Pursssslow has more footballing knowledge than I might have given him credit for. All of that lot should have been fucked off, they're not good enough.

Thing is Hodgson clearly did let Purslow do what he wanted to an extent.

Hodgson said he rated Insua and didn't know what was going on with him, but he still let him move on loan.

The same Insua who can't get a game at Gala, and who was criticised last month by Hagi for his "playboy antics" and love of the nightlife?

People criticising the manager or the former CEO really should choose their ground more carefully than exaggerating the abilities of players who have demonstrated they are nowhere near good enough for Liverpool.

The same Insua who can't get a game at Gala, and who was criticised last month by Hagi for his "playboy antics" and love of the nightlife?

People criticising the manager or the former CEO really should choose their ground more carefully than exaggerating the abilities of players who have demonstrated they are nowhere near good enough for Liverpool.

Hodgson said he rates him and didn't know if he was staying or going.

Regardless of his ability, better than Konchesky btw, that's the manager not having a say in what happens to a player.

So Purslow done what he wanted in some cases.

"Purslow handed Hodgson a list of players he wished to see depart Anfield after his appointment last summer. On the list were Ryan Babel, Maxi Rodriguez, Sotirios Kyrgiakos, David Ngog and Lucas"

I think Pursssslow has more footballing knowledge than I might have given him credit for. All of that lot should have been fucked off, they're not good enough.

We would currently be in the bottom 3 if it wasnt for the majority of those players, imo.

Maybe you would like to answer my question?

When was the last time we finished 7th and were this low in the table in mid-December. I doubt it has happened since we were promoted.

Yeah its all the squads fault. The manager has nothing to do with it I suppose.

Jesus Hermes you really do make some silly arguments. I fucking guarantee you another manager would get more out of this squad. Not more as in we'll win the fucking league.

But another manager would give us a shot at the CL places. The whole squads not good enough argument has some truth to it, but its not the whole truth.

Guest the boy

This squad is arguably inferior to that which Shankly inherited: that, at least, had it in them to win a title of some sorts. Arguably it is the worst squad of all time ever.

Edited by the boy

This squad is arguably inferior to that which Shankly inherited: that, at least, had it in them to win a title of some sorts. Arguably it is the worst squad of all time ever.

Shankly inherited a team in the second division. Theres a bit of a difference there.

Its impossible to say whats the worst squad we've ever had. But this one is not.

Edit: Actually on re-reading that are you taking the piss?

Yeah its all the squads fault. The manager has nothing to do with it I suppose.Jesus Hermes you really do make some silly arguments. I fucking guarantee you another manager would get more out of this squad. Not more as in we'll win the fucking league.

But another manager would give us a shot at the CL places. The whole squads not good enough argument has some truth to it, but its not the whole truth.

Of course he takes responsibility for this season, but Hodgson wasn't here last season.

Guest the boy
ts impossible to say whats the worst squad we've ever had. But this one is not.

While Hermes is here to argue it, and others continue to entertain him, it arguably is.