You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Too good to be relegated?

StevieH

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many many teams have been relegated with squads that should never have been struggling, let alone getting relegated. There is no reason at all why this can't happen to us this season.

We are absolutely terrible away from home and prone to match losing performances at Anfield. The squad is not strong and the better players are routinely turning in performances way below their level. We need to wake up to the fact that we are in a genuine relegation battle right now and, as with all teams in such a position, there is a reasonable chance that the battle is one that they won't win.

It's easy to be too negative after a bad loss, just as it is to by hysterically over confident after a win, but look at the teams below us and crucially, how many points behind us they are.

P Pts

Everton 21 25

Liverpool 20 25

Blackpool 19 25

Fulham 21 22

Birmingham 20 22

WBA 21 22

Wolves 21 21

Aston Villa 21 21

Wigan 21 21

West Ham 22 20

There really is fuck all in it.

On this seasons form, man for man and team as a whole, are we head and shoulders abover any of these teams? Nope.

Are any of these teams going to pay us too much respect when playing us? Nope.

Are any of these teams going to consider Liverpool as there for the taking? Too fucking right, all of them will.

I still can't see us going down but I'd be surprised if we weren't looking over our shoulders the whole way into May.

we need Rafa in to save us, he knows this team and dressing room better than anyone and can hit the ground running. we will be sound with him

I fear anyone else and we're in for a struggle, no one will have time to get to grips with it including the king, the fairytale could turn sour if he struggled and took us down .

I remember the Juninho and Ravanelli and Emerson Mboro team. 2 cup finals. They were absolutely fantastic... in a way. And relegated they were. There was a moderately star filled West Ham team that was relegated too. And lets not forget Newcastle..

Rafa's squad was raped by the Yanks. And he still got us 7th. But Captain Fuckwit ( aka Scandianavia's .. cough .. "finest") is killing us quicker than Ebola could.

Good squads DO get relegated. The team is in meltdown thanks to him, Purslow, NESV etc

Former Liverpool star Ray Houghton has insisted the Merseysiders now face a battle to stay in the Premier League.

The return of Kenny Dalglish hasn't had the desired effect so far, and Liverpool slipped to a damaging defeat at Blackpool on Wednesday night.

Liverpool are now just four points above the drop zone, and Houghton said: 'They’re in a relegation battle now.

'Steve Clarke (Liverpool’s new coach) is going to have to work on not giving away goals because that’s going to be vital.'

Taking about Wednesday's match at Bloomfield Road, Houghton added on TalkSPORT: 'As soon as Blackpool equalised, the confidence drained out of the team and it became very predictable.

'Before Blackpool scored Liverpool were by far the better team. They had pace to their game and looked like they were really up for it.

'Liverpool never created enough chances after Blackpool scored to cause them problems and that was disappointing.'

Houghton won two league titles under Dalglish back in 1988 and 1990.

Read more: Liverpool in a relegation battle, warns former star Ray Houghton | Mail Online

Former Liverpool star Ray Houghton has insisted the Merseysiders now face a battle to stay in the Premier League.

The return of Kenny Dalglish hasn't had the desired effect so far, and Liverpool slipped to a damaging defeat at Blackpool on Wednesday night.

Liverpool are now just four points above the drop zone, and Houghton said: 'They’re in a relegation battle now.[/b

I hope Houghton wasn't paid too much for this stunning revelation.

People who think we are too good to go down that over confidence could be very dangerous. We basically need 15-18 points between now and seasons end. With games v Everton, Manchester United, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City and tricky ones like Sunderland away not to mention teams who will be fighting for their lives away like West Ham, Wolves and Aston Villa.

I just don't trust us to beat anybody at present. We still have niggly difficult sides like Stoke and Birmingham as well at Anfield.

I don't think things are that bad, regardless of how poor we're playing.

Looking at the positives...

*We've got some fantastic players in our squad

*We're showing drive and desire to win games {Plenty of chances that haven't been executed}

*New manager who inspires the team

*New owners with a large check book, supposedly.

*Players that would gladly come to us regardless of our situation {Turan comes to mind}

The negatives are...

*No teamwork

*No cohesion between players

*Not enough decent back up for when we loose key players {N'gog for Torres isn't good enough}

*Lack of confidence to score

*Poor squad of players collectively, too much deadwood.

That's what comes to mind initially, please add detail when needed. I think out of the teams in the bottom half of the table, by far we're the strongest, but our 50/50 season has lead to where we are now.

We need four or five decent signings to make sure we are not dragged into a relegation dog fight but the likes of Leeds, Sheffield Wed, Notts For spring to mind. People said they were to good to go down.

Leeds had sold all their best players and had Eddie Gray as manager, this side is much much better than the teams you mentioned.

I cant see us going down, not with kenny in charge, he'll turn it around, he's not Roy Hodgson.

I'm not worried. Last night was an ususually shit teamsheet born of injuries, a suspension and playing 60 minutes with 10 men on Sunday. The tactics and effort levels have already improved significantly and most of our line ups should be good enough to translate this into wins.

I wasn't overly worried about relegation until last night. I thought most of our problems came from how we approached games (particularly away games). Last night the players couldn't be pulled for effort, it was purely down to a lack of quality running through the whole team. if we don't improve the squad in the next few weeks, and we get one or two serious injuries, we could be in serious trouble.

The simple answer is 'no' and to think otherwise is foolish. My worry is that there is a lack of belief at the club, if we were to end up in a relegation dogfight with teams that have been there before, we may struggle. Apart from Gerrard, Carragher and Reina, I'm not sure there are many fighters in our squad.