You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England v Slovenia

RedinSweden

England have played in a group including Algerie, Slovenia and USA, probably the easiest group seen at a WC.

So? Only Uruguay so far have a better defensive record. It's a stat, you should deal with it.

Norway is not at the WC but still ahead of Slovenia in the FIFA rankings and to get you down from your hight horse, when did England beat Norway the last time?

I mentioned Norways absence as you've come on an England thread belittling them on a day of good football. It's a little pathetic.

England are a poor team, my prediction before the WC started was that they would get through from the group stage then be knocked out.

Where are all these predictions?

I enjoyed that. England were better and the temsion near the end was great. What a proper tournament is all about.

Now its down to knock out stages, anything can happen. Italy 82 are the absolute perfect example.

I'm pleased the states wen through to as they have looked decent too. They could have an easy route to the semi's depending who wins the other group.

Its all got really interesting and really good imo. Proper football

I mentioned Norways absence as you've come on an England thread belittling them on a day of good football. It's a little pathetic.

You call it belittling, I call it offering a realistic unbiased opinion.

Where are all these predictions?

I can e-mail them to you, I have them in an excel document I`ve sent in to a WC prediction competition.

Made up for Capello, Steven, Carra and Glen.

Congratulations to all you England fans!

I'm disappointed the Mongo own goal didn't materialize, but hopefully it'll come in the next round. Loved the Shrek substitution though.

Germany will be tough, but anything's possible now.

I demand that Major Tom questions your ilk! Come ON!

I'm still burdened by the weight of the invisible chip only he can see on my shoulder. I'm not sure if it's a fried or oven chip though. Obviously. As I can't see it when I look in the mirror. Because it's invisible.

Better performance without being brilliant. Must have been something to do with playing on a Wembley-like surface. England created the better chances, and Slovenia didn't unduly trouble England throughout. All in all, at least they've got through, where they could possibly face Germany. Cue WW2 tabloid headlines if that turns out to be the case.

James - very solid and caused no alarm in defence. At least used his brains to clear goalkicks from his hands, considering the shoddy state of the goalmouth in the second half.

Johnson - looked edgy early on, and could have got booked. Once settled he remained on the front foot, and was unlucky to be yellow carded for what I can only assume the ref considered a dive.

Terry - he may be a mong, but he was very assured, making a couple of solid blocks as well as having a header saved. Fair play as he kept his trap shut, instead of trying to be the centre of attention.

Upson - waivered between defensive solidity and nervous liability on several occasions. Decided to play a 70-yard back pass when he had time to look up and find a teammate better placed. However, he had an excellent block at the end to deny an equaliser.

A.Cole - untroubled defensively other than one occasion which let Slovenia in. Better going forward and always provided an outlet for Gerrard, who could cut in more as a result.

Barry - neat and tidy in possession, but when he loses the ball he can put his defence in trouble because he lacks recovery pace (or pace in general!). He did a good job of keeping the midfield on the front foot though.

Lampard - better than previously, and played a great ball throught the middle for Ronney in the second half. Decent free kick in the first, and also a shot high and wide. He looked closer to the Chelsea version with his late runs into the box.

Milner - like Johnson he started edgily early on, but settled well. Great cross for the goal, and another excellent ball which could have led to a second. Faded as the game wore on, but still had the energy to help waste time in the corner.

Gerrard - like Lampard, a much improved display. Should have put his foot through the ball when well placed to shoot, and miscontrolled another possibility. When he got the ball in the right areas, he had the strength and stamina to drive England forward regularly.

Rooney - again much improved, and was unlucky not to score. He's not quite sharp enough yet, because he didn't anticipate on several crosses in the first half, and he's missing a yard of pace it seems.

Defoe - well taken goal, and should have scored a second early in the second half. He didn't really have much of the ball otherwise, but he kept the Slovenia centre backs deep because they were frightened of his pace.

The subs did OK as the game was breaking up by then, but not much to say about them.

Congratulations. You just became the most anal little man on these boards.

For taking part in a WC prediction comp with some friends where winner takes it all, a£200 (£10 to enter)?

Which I`m comfortably leading by the way.

When did you become the inhouse comedian round here?

Guest Pistonbroke

Much better performance albeit a bit nervy at the end due to missed chances to kill the game. Should give the players some much needed confidence and something to build on. We used the wings well and created enough chances. Plus when called upon it was good to see the defenders doing well. It's not always about scoring goals, your defence has to be solid as well. Overall it was a pleasing team performance and we move on to the last 16.

as for Rooney "the saviour" absolute shite again, one miskick from a good oppurtunity and missed a sitter, Johnson seemed to be shitting himself at first but ended up having a good game can't believe he was booked, Milner's crossing was excellent, was Defoe's goal his first touch?

I thought 'Fargo' and 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou' were better.

Englands best players have limited technical abilty compared to average players from most the other teams still in the WC

How can you say Johnson, A.Cole, Gerrard, J.Cole & Rooney are limited technically? They are among the best players that play in their positions in the world and you don't become a great player with limited technique.

How can you say Johnson, A.Cole, Gerrard, J.Cole & Rooney are limited technically? They are among the best players that play in their positions in the world and you don't become a great player with limited technique.

By watching them and compare them to other players.

Pretty easy really.

For your claim about world class, apart from Gerrard as a box to box midfielder they really are not.

By watching them and compare them to other players.

Pretty easy really.

For your claim about world class, apart from Gerrard as a box to box midfielder they really are not.

I'd say Ashley Cole is the best left back in the world at this moment in time, by quite a distance aswell.

Rooney would feature on most people's list as one of the top 10 strikers in the world at this moment in time, his goalscoring record this past season backs it up. I don't see how you can get rated by most experts and professionals as one of the best in the business yet be "technically limited".

Johnson is one of the best right Backs in the premier league, was also in the PFA team of the year 08/09, don't think many "limited" players make that team.

I'd say Ashley Cole is the best left back in the world at this moment in time, by quite a distance aswell.

Not even close.

Rooney would feature on most people's list as one of the top 10 strikers in the world at this moment in time, his goalscoring record this past season backs it up. I don't see how you can get rated by most experts and professionals as one of the best in the business yet be "technically limited".

You have to ask them, I dont rate him and think he is pretty ordinary, when it comes to his technical ability its average, its all about power and pace with Rooney and if you are a good enough defender he is easily to defend against.

Before the last WC the most hyped up players made their own video, Rooney`s trick was that he could play in goal, while the other "stars" showed some silky touches and excellent technique, that sums him up.

Johnson is one of the best right Backs in the premier league, was also in the PFA team of the year 08/09, don't think many "limited" players make that team.

Johnson is a poor defender, he has one move going forward and thats moving inside something he is pretty good at.

Riise and Bjørnebye also made PFA team of the year, they are as limited when it comes to technique as its possible to be.