You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard doesn't rate Benitez according to Graham Beacroft

JMARKH

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could Gerrard's relationship with the Chelsea boys influence his behaviour? This smacks of their type of attitude, don't like the manager, don't perform, manager goes, like new manager, perform until new manager annoys, then repeat!

As PaulMc pointed out, we were led to believe that Alonso's relationship with Rafa had deteriorated to such a point that he needed to leave the club, yet during that year he gave his best season in a Liverpool shirt.

So why is Gerrard is so annoyed? Because, and lets be fair here, Rafa is a twat and a stubborn twat as well, but we had just finished runners up in the league and starting our current campaign against Tottenham away, and Gerrard was shite and it hasn't exactly improved since that day. So I don't think the 'He is just frustrated with how the team is playing' argument holds much water!

Kind of lost interest in who leaves at this stage. As a club we are so fucked that Stevie/Rafa/Torres/etc leaving or staying kind of pales into insignificance. It just doesn't really matter that much in my mind at this exact time.

There's probably fault on both sides. I doubt either are easy to work with.

Is right.

If this hand gesture is true, why is Gerrard arguing with Rafa in the first place? What is he arguing with him about? And what does he say to provoke the gesture? I can't see Rafa giving it the big 'I am' just doing it for the hell of it. The could be a few things he said to him, but the most probable I can think of to cause such a reaction is that Stevie has told Rafa he wants him sacked.

Thats if it happened of course...

Guest ian garro
You obviously dont know what a nightmare it must be working with Rafa.

Such a nightmare, the best goalkeeper in the World recently signed a 6 year contract, where he is manager... Mascherano is also keen on doing the same.

Ha, good come back.

I just think its easy having a go at Stevie, he's become Rafa's scapegoat.

I think you are reading too much into it, Stevie isn't a scapegoat but we do know he is a moody twat, we do know he is prone to 'diva' behaviour (look at 2005? He didn't 'feel' that we wanted him enough! That is Parry and Rafa by the way, and not the fans who sung his name nonstop for the whole year), we do know he has performed well below what he is capable of for most of this season.

So we sumise this is down to Rafa, who we know is difficult!

He isn't a scapegoat, I want him to stay, but he unfortunately isn't in a particularly strong position to be making demands himself!

Bear in mind, Ged's last season he was immense in a piss poor team, essentially because he like Ged, which suggests that Stevie can take his ball home with him if he doesn't like the manager, which is not going to us any good in future, what if he doesn't like Glen Roeder? We'll be seriously fucked then!

Such a nightmare, the best goalkeeper in the World recently signed a 6 year contract, where he is manager... Mascherano is also keen on doing the same.

They signed a contract with the club, not the manager.

I think you are reading too much into it, Stevie isn't a scapegoat but we do know he is a moody twat, we do know he is prone to 'diva' behaviour (look at 2005? He didn't 'feel' that we wanted him enough! That is Parry and Rafa by the way, and not the fans who sung his name nonstop for the whole year), we do know he has performed well below what he is capable of for most of this season.

So we sumise this is down to Rafa, who we know is difficult!

He isn't a scapegoat, I want him to stay, but he unfortunately isn't in a particularly strong position to be making demands himself!

Bear in mind, Ged's last season he was immense in a piss poor team, essentially because he like Ged, which suggests that Stevie can take his ball home with him if he doesn't like the manager, which is not going to us any good in future, what if he doesn't like Glen Roeder? We'll be seriously fucked then!

He's probably just sick of bailing him out, time after time and having no come back.

Of thinking we can win the league only for the manager to fall out with Alonso and bring in inferior players yet again.

Guest ian garro
They signed a contract with the club, not the manager.

Of course they did, I was just pointing out they can't really see it as such a nightmare working with the man - not as if they'd be short of offers if they didn't fancy working with him, is it ?

And they work with him everyday...

So yet another quality player he has alienated, wish he would fall out with some of them other wasters instead. Player power needs to previal so the crackpot can be forced out.

Riera?

Just to show that any ability he may have to fall out with players does not seem related to their ability.

Yeah. No surprise he hasn't fallen out with Lucas, Eggnog or Insua

I think Aquilani will play more than Lucas next year, or at least some midfielder from somewhere will. I reckons Insua will be replaced too. With what i dont know but if he doesnt sort out his positioning we're fucked.

It's bad enough with the manager spending too much time on club politics without the players getting involved. Gerrard should just focus on his own performance as a player and a captain which have been unacceptable for most of the season. Although I would be delighted if he took the time out to make it clear he doesn't rate the owners.

I take it many respondents in this thread have never had to work with a boss they don't like or rate professionally. It's really easy apparently; you just get your head down and get on with your work, and all your cares just evaporate.

Not saying Gerrard is blameless for his performances but this certainly goes some way to explaining, if not excusing them.

I take it many respondents in this thread have never had to work with a boss they don't like or rate professionally. It's really easy apparently; you just get your head down and get on with your work, and all your cares just evaporate.

I've had that privilege. I have also worked with bosses I respect a lot. The latter is preferable...

However, I would not compare Gerrard's situation to people who work for a living. Gerrard is not an employee, as such, but a free contractor who has signed a contract to perform a specific task. He is independently wealthy, can request to leave when he wants to with other employers ready to contract him. His say should be limited more or less to his task, though given that he is rather good in his field of expertise, his opinion might be useful to his bosses.

I do my job because I have to, because at the end of the day I wasn't able to fullfill my dream of playing for Liverpool Football Club!

That's the big difference.

That and about £6m a year I expect.

Well I find it difficult to place all of the blame on Gerrard. If it's been so hard for us to watch our games this season, just imagine what it's like playing in them ...

Not saying he should get off scot free from criticism for his performances, but I can readily understand his frustration.