You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stevie's elbow on that horrible little cunt

That is my understanding of the rules. If the ref sees the incident, which he did because he gave a freekick iirc, then the FA cannot punish retrospectively.

I may be completely wrong though.

If the referee didn't see it at the time but after seeing replays agrees that he would of taken further action then fair enough. The fact is that he dealt with the matter at the time and if further action is taken by the FA then that is effectively saying that the ref didn't do his job right. They wont allow that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke
You misunderstand, I said it's hilarious - in my world that means funny. I visit Blue Moon and Red Cafe every so often to remind me that TLW isn't so bad. They both seem to be populated by 12-15 year olds with ZERO knowledge of footy, with the odd sensible poster desperately trying to educate them. A couple of the decent ones said that Gerrards foul would have been dished out by Keane in the tunnel.

I actually didn't misunderstand mate. I don't see why fans visit opposing fans forums. Each to their own like.

Which part of Brown, looking for Gerrard then altering the track of his run to put himself in front of Gerrard are you interpreting as "Gerrard making a beeline for him"?

Watch it again mate, from the face on view, and you'll see Gerrard adjusts his run towards Brown and lifts his arm up ready, it was intentional. He's lucky he wasn't sent off.

Watch it again mate, from the face on view, and you'll see Gerrard adjusts his run towards Brown and lifts his arm up ready, it was intentional. He's lucky he wasn't sent off.

The clip of the incident is on this very thread - from 202 it was clear that Brown looked for Gerrard and altered his run.

No amount of words from you will change those facts.

Guest TK-421

Maybe Gerrard could have done more to avoid Brown, but come on. It's Michael Brown. He looks like a cross between Tom Berenger in Platoon and that Albarn twat. Not good.

I thought it was stupid from Gerrard and if avoids a ban he'll be very lucky. I was really pissed off with him about it last night.

At the same time, I found it funny that it was Michael Brown because he's such a cunt.

To suggest that Gerrard 'made a beeline' for Brown though is laughable; it's clear from the replays that Brown altered his path to block Gerrard, and then he started to put his arm into his face.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Whilst it is fairly satisfying for me to see such a horrid little shitbag get a smack, it was a ridiculous thing for Gerrard to do with the United match coming up and at such a vital part of the season.

RAFA UNCONCERNED OVER GERRARD ACTION

Posted 15/03/10 23:21

EmailPrintSave

Barclays Premier League. Click here to bet.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is confident captain Steven Gerrard will escape retrospective action for a clash with Portsmouth midfielder Michael Brown in the 4-1 win at Anfield.

Fernando Torres scored his 14th and 15th in the Premier League this season with Ryan Babel and Aquilani - registering his first goal for the Reds - also on target before Nadir Belhadj's late consolation.

The victory was overshadowed slightly by Gerrard's apparent forearm to the back of Brown's neck in the second half, after which the Liverpool captain was immediately substituted by Benitez.

"I don't think so," said the Spaniard when asked if he was worried about retrospective action against his captain.

"I haven't seen it but I was asking and I think it was nothing."

Benitez also played down the immediate substitution of Gerrard, adding: "We were thinking of changing Torres, Glen Johnson and Gerrard and we did it."

Only a week ago Gerrard found himself in a similar situation for an alleged v-sign made at referee Andre Marriner in the defeat at Wigan.

That went no further as the official said he had seen the incident at the time and decided it did not warrant any action.

On Monday night, referee Stuart Attwell was very close to the incident but took no action but it remains to be seen whether he will be asked to look at it again by the Football Association.

Portsmouth manager Avram Grant said he also did not see the incident but felt Attwell should have spotted it.

"I didn't see it. I will speak with Michael Brown and then I will tell you," he said.

"They told me the referee was four metres away from this so I think the referee needs to see from four metres what I didn't from 40 metres," he said.

"Personally I like Steven Gerrard. I think he is a good player and a fair player."

I thought it was stupid from Gerrard and if avoids a ban he'll be very lucky. I was really pissed off with him about it last night.

At the same time, I found it funny that it was Michael Brown because he's such a cunt.

To suggest that Gerrard 'made a beeline' for Brown though is laughable; it's clear from the replays that Brown altered his path to block Gerrard, and then he started to put his arm into his face.

It's not laughable though Ian. He did as much as Brown did to go for Gerrard. He intentionally looked to take him out.

I'll admit as its Brown that I think what goes around comes around, but Gerrard was a tool for doing what he did. It was a shithouse tactic as well. Should have done it face to face if he was going to do anything.

Stevie was lucky not to be sent off - but the correct decision would have been to send off both players. The ref was right there and gave the foul so I don't see how they can do anything about it now. Having said that, Taggart is bound to kick up a fuss (though we've done them without Stevie lately) and it depends whether his involvement outweighs Stevie's position as England VC in the internal politics. Overall though - it was a truly enjoyable forearm smash and the subject line of this debate just sums it all up perfectly.

It's not laughable though Ian. He did as much as Brown did to go for Gerrard. He intentionally looked to take him out.

I'll admit as its Brown that I think what goes around comes around, but Gerrard was a tool for doing what he did. It was a shithouse tactic as well. Should have done it face to face if he was going to do anything.

It is laughable. If Brown hadn't altered his path then Gerrard would have just run past him. You need to watch it again; Brown totally turns his head away from the ball to see where Gerrard is so he can run across and block him.

It's clear as day.

I agree with what you say about Gerrard's retaliation; no complaints there. To suggest that he went looking for it though is stupid.

Not much in the incident in my opinion. Brown ran a blocking line, raised his arm across gerrard who put his arm out even higher and gave more than he got. Yellow card at most.

If the FA were happy to ignore Blackburn's off the ball stuff at anfield then they've got no call to intervene now.