You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There´s a massive misunderstanding going on among LFC fans

Jens

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year wasn't an improvement? :whoops:

Actually, no it really was not.

We got extreme lucky in our matches against Chelsea and the mancs, that made our season.

If you want to define the results in 4 matches in a 38 game season as an improvement then thats fine.

Personally I knew we would not be able to copy those results this season and instead I looked at the results against the clubs outside the "top 4" to look for signs of "real improvement", sadly I did not find it.

Hence this thread on the subject.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/79002-progress-not.html

I`ll help you out Zonkoville.

This is what I wrote last May.

A lot of people are talking about all the progress we have made this season, but have we really made this significant progress everyone is talking about?

If we look at the facts we were knocked out of the Carling Cup before it really started(4th round), we were knocked out of the FA Cup before it really started(4th round again) and we were knocked out of the CL in the Quarter finals, all other teams from the PL in the same competition reached the semis.

We will most likely get our best point tally ever in the league and we have mounted a serious title challenge, but if we look behind these facts what do we find when we look at the numbers?

Against the other top 4 teams we have had our best season ever under Rafa getting 14 out of 18 possible points, thats progress but its also just a small number of games, is it right to talk about progress if you really only have improved in a few specific games when you look at the season as a whole?

The fact is, in the 05/06 season we got 78 points against the dross in the league, this season we will get maximum 72 points if we win our two last matches.

I find it hard to call that progress.

If we look at our home form we have got 40, 48, 46 and 42 points in Rafa`s time here, at the moment we have 40 points with one game to go so thats hardly any great progress either.

Where we have made some progress though is against the top four teams like I showed above where I think we have doubled our point tally this season compared to our best season prior to this one.

We have also improved our away form, having an earlier record with 18, 34, 22 and 34 points.

We are on 40 points now with one game to go, so thats massive improvement in this departement, but is it enough to say we really have progressed on the whole this season?

For me we have progressed in bits and pieces and gone backwards in others, just like every season under Rafa, what makes this season different is that we have won he vital games against Chelsea and the mancs denying them points and gaining a few ourselves, but at the moment it looks like that will not be enough and once again we will finish the season empty handed.

Combined with our early exit in all Cup competitions I`m nor really overly satisfied just because our league campaign have turned out allright.

excuse me, say WHAT?

"Rafa out cos he doesnt smile when we score" strikes me as a poor reason to want a new manager.

Not what I said though, was it?

If a new manager came in it would be great if he was somone as passionate about the team as he could be. Not some random guy employed because the owners like him.

His demise here is terminal, as I said months ago. The players have totally lost confidence in him. How many of them in their many interviews with the press have expressed any confidence in him?

So how is it you know the players have lost all confidence in him? Do you work at the club? Do you know the players? Are you related to them? My guess is your just anotrher one of the fickle contingent looking for any reason to rid the club of one of the worlds best coaches. You should be careful what you wish for!!!!!

Whilst Rafa not without blame (negative tactics etc) he is in his 6th season at a club that constantly over achieved since his tenure. Get your head out of the sand, money dictates the modern game and money is a precious commodity Liverpool have very little of. In fact, Liverpool have operated at a profit over the last 3 seasons of Rafas reign yet still managed CL qualification every year and been losing finalists.

Arsene Wenger has won 1 FA Cup since Rafa took charge, is that because he is a shite coach? No, its because he cannot compete in the financial market with Chelsea, Man Utd and now Man City.

As much as you criticise Rafa and mock his achievements, there is no better man for the job at Anfield. Some on here think he should be replaced with Mourinho, Hiddink, Capello? Why would any of these top rated managers want to come to a club like ours?

We have no money, we are under the control of two clueless Yanks and now the fans are becoming increasingly divided. Just what is the attraction? Why would these managers put their reputation on the line when they can command such huge salaries alsewhere with guaranteed war chests to spend? Get real, it just won't happen.

We were linked with Alex Mcleish at the weekend, is that what you really want? Alex Fu**ing Mcleish? Is that how low this club has fallen? We will be linked with Curbishley next!

We are in a rut at the moment and it has been caused by the accumulation of a number of factors, the main one being lack of funds. If we get new investment and are able to compete financially with Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal (when they get their house in order), then Rafa is the man for the job. Just get over the blip, his first in 5 years, and get on with supporting the team instead of criticising every transfer, substitution, tactic, formation.

Should no financial investment be forthcoming you better get used to mid table mediocrity because that is where the club is heading, irrelevant of who is in charge and that as rafa says is a FACT.

For the record - Rick Parry signed Robbie Keane, Rafa got rid as soon as Parry was ousted but didn't get the money back to re-invest in the squad.

So how is it you know the players have lost all confidence in him? Do you work at the club? Do you know the players? Are you related to them? My guess is your just anotrher one of the fickle contingent looking for any reason to rid the club of one of the worlds best coaches. You should be careful what you wish for!!!!!

Whilst Rafa not without blame (negative tactics etc) he is in his 6th season at a club that constantly over achieved since his tenure. Get your head out of the sand, money dictates the modern game and money is a precious commodity Liverpool have very little of. In fact, Liverpool have operated at a profit over the last 3 seasons of Rafas reign yet still managed CL qualification every year and been losing finalists.

Arsene Wenger has won 1 FA Cup since Rafa took charge, is that because he is a shite coach? No, its because he cannot compete in the financial market with Chelsea, Man Utd and now Man City.

As much as you criticise Rafa and mock his achievements, there is no better man for the job at Anfield. Some on here think he should be replaced with Mourinho, Hiddink, Capello? Why would any of these top rated managers want to come to a club like ours?

We have no money, we are under the control of two clueless Yanks and now the fans are becoming increasingly divided. Just what is the attraction? Why would these managers put their reputation on the line when they can command such huge salaries alsewhere with guaranteed war chests to spend? Get real, it just won't happen.

We were linked with Alex Mcleish at the weekend, is that what you really want? Alex Fu**ing Mcleish? Is that how low this club has fallen? We will be linked with Curbishley next!

We are in a rut at the moment and it has been caused by the accumulation of a number of factors, the main one being lack of funds. If we get new investment and are able to compete financially with Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal (when they get their house in order), then Rafa is the man for the job. Just get over the blip, his first in 5 years, and get on with supporting the team instead of criticising every transfer, substitution, tactic, formation.

Should no financial investment be forthcoming you better get used to mid table mediocrity because that is where the club is heading, irrelevant of who is in charge and that as rafa says is a FACT.

For the record - Rick Parry signed Robbie Keane, Rafa got rid as soon as Parry was ousted but didn't get the money back to re-invest in the squad.

This post was the equivalent of the old joke about the patient in the mental asylum getting an assessment visit to see if he was free to be released into society again. The interview went well, and as the assessor was leaving it was looking like everything was fine until the patient handed the assessor her handbag having put a little wee and a drawing of an alien in it.

A lot of people are talking about all the progress we have made this season, but have we really made this significant progress everyone is talking about?

If we look at the facts we were knocked out of the Carling Cup before it really started(4th round), we were knocked out of the FA Cup before it really started(4th round again) and we were knocked out of the CL in the Quarter finals, all other teams from the PL in the same competition reached the semis.

We will most likely get our best point tally ever in the league and we have mounted a serious title challenge, but if we look behind these facts what do we find when we look at the numbers?

Against the other top 4 teams we have had our best season ever under Rafa getting 14 out of 18 possible points, thats progress but its also just a small number of games, is it right to talk about progress if you really only have improved in a few specific games when you look at the season as a whole?

The fact is, in the 05/06 season we got 78 points against the dross in the league, this season we will get maximum 72 points if we win our two last matches.

If we look at our home form we have got 40, 48, 46 and 42 points in Rafa`s time here, at the moment we have 40 points with one game to go so thats hardly any great progress either.

Where we have made some progress though is against the top four teams like I showed above where I think we have doubled our point tally this season compared to our best season prior to this one.

We have also improved our away form, having an earlier record with 18, 34, 22 and 34 points.

We are on 40 points now with one game to go, so thats massive improvement in this departement, but is it enough to say we really have progressed on the whole this season?

For me we have progressed in bits and pieces and gone backwards in others, just like every season under Rafa, what makes this season different is that we have won he vital games against Chelsea and the mancs denying them points and gaining a few ourselves, but at the moment it looks like that will not be enough and once again we will finish the season empty handed.

Combined with our early exit in all Cup competitions I`m nor really overly satisfied just because our league campaign have turned out allright.

The ego on you...

The ego on you...

Read your opening post, Jens. The thread is almost, "There's a massive understanding going on among LFC fans about what I say."

Not trying to be cruel, just a passing thought.

Actually, no it really was not.

We got extreme lucky in our matches against Chelsea and the mancs, that made our season.

If you want to define the results in 4 matches in a 38 game season as an improvement then thats fine.

Personally I knew we would not be able to copy those results this season and instead I looked at the results against the clubs outside the "top 4" to look for signs of "real improvement", sadly I did not find it.

Hence this thread on the subject.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/79002-progress-not.html

Yeah I know and the moon is made out of cheese.

Just what are your expectations Code 72? We are not in the mid 70's early 80's here, this is the 21st century, welcome to 'modern football' where money dictates Premier Champs! Liverpool, as much as it pains me to say it, are no better than a top 6 side and always will be in the current financial climate. The league table doesn't lie, we are were are.

Out of interest, just enlighten us as to what your master plan would be to take us back to the top and deliver title no19, I await your response in great anticipation. But before you make it, make sure you put in the financial restraints, just like Rafa.