You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Callow,cowardly,inspiration sucking Benitez

thompsonsnose

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not simply a case of x years without a trophy. That is an issue but only when added to the mulitude of other issues that we clearly have.

In answer to the question regarding Wenger, again it's difficult to say but my gut feeling is that I wouldn't want him sacked because i'd have belief in his methods and ethos when it comes to football. If we played good football and were there or thereabouts then i'd be happy enough with that.

We have no divine right to win anything, and just because we're Liverpool, that means fuck all in the grand scheme of things. I believe you have to analyse the players available to the manager and then summise whether or not you believe the manager is getting the best out of the group on a consistent basis.

Wenger has had some poor years but when you speak to most Arsenal fans they're safe in the knowledge that a building process is underway and that there will be tangible benefits by the end of it.

You look at the evidence of young players that Wenger has brought through and you can't help but be excited/optimistic that a good team is just around the corner, for example. Also, he's proven that he can win the Premier League in the past and also come extremely close in Europe, so there's that as well. Arsenal only got 68 points in 06/07 (which we would claim as failure now) but they came to Anfield and wiped the floor with us in two cup competitions, with lots of kids looking the real deal.

I don't want this to sound like i'm eulogising over Wenger because i'm not, I think he's an excellent manager, but like all of them he has some flaws as well (mainly his antics and refusal to accept defeat in good grace).

It comes down to whether or not you belief in the fundamentals of the guy in charge and you can only judge that on the players you see on the pitch and the performances that those players produce.

I've had issues with Rafa for a long, long time and always believed that those issues would ultimately lead to his/our downfall and unfortunately I think that's happening (despite an excellent period of 3 months in 2009 when we were playing the kind of football I believe is the Liverpool Way).

It's not simply a case of x years without a trophy. That is an issue but only when added to the mulitude of other issues that we clearly have.

In answer to the question regarding Wenger, again it's difficult to say but my gut feeling is that I wouldn't want him sacked because i'd have belief in his methods and ethos when it comes to football. If we played good football and were there or thereabouts then i'd be happy enough with that.

We have no divine right to win anything, and just because we're Liverpool, that means fuck all in the grand scheme of things. I believe you have to analyse the players available to the manager and then summise whether or not you believe the manager is getting the best out of the group on a consistent basis.

Wenger has had some poor years but when you speak to most Arsenal fans they're safe in the knowledge that a building process is underway and that there will be tangible benefits by the end of it.

You look at the evidence of young players that Wenger has brought through and you can't help but be excited/optimistic that a good team is just around the corner, for example. Also, he's proven that he can win the Premier League in the past and also come extremely close in Europe, so there's that as well. Arsenal only got 68 points in 06/07 (which we would claim as failure now) but they came to Anfield and wiped the floor with us in two cup competitions, with lots of kids looking the real deal.

I don't want this to sound like i'm eulogising over Wenger because i'm not, I think he's an excellent manager, but like all of them he has some flaws as well (mainly his antics and refusal to accept defeat in good grace).

It comes down to whether or not you belief in the fundamentals of the guy in charge and you can only judge that on the players you see on the pitch and the performances that those players produce.

I've had issues with Rafa for a long, long time and always believed that those issues would ultimately lead to his/our downfall and unfortunately I think that's happening (despite an excellent period of 3 months in 2009 when we were playing the kind of football I believe is the Liverpool Way).

i get the picture. as long as we play good football your not worried about trophys

i get the picture. as long as we play good football your not worried about trophys

You obviously do not get the picture.

Trophies are very important and I wouldn't take style over substance at all. Ideally i'd like to see a mixture of the two, but the one thing I definitely would like to at least believe, is that the players are out on the pitch always trying to win and play football in what I consider to be the 'right' way.

That's all you can ask.

You obviously do not get the picture.

Trophies are very important and I wouldn't take style over substance at all. Ideally i'd like to see a mixture of the two, but the one thing I definitely would like to at least believe, is that the players are out on the pitch always trying to win and play football in what I consider to be the 'right' way.

That's all you can ask.

agree

Ok, well we finished with 86 points last season with all of these shit talentless players lead by an egomaniacal loser. How did that happen?

How did we get to Athens with all these dud players?

Is it all a bizarre series of coincidences? Shit players and manager defy odds?

Aston Villa challenged for the title once under Big Ron back in 92-93. Once the team started going backwards he was out the door. That was a Villa side with much lower expectations than us as well but Fatko was still sacked not long after that season.

Big deal, we challenged for the title. So did Norwich once as well in the PL era.

Take away results, if we were playing good football and trying to play in the right way I would cut the manager some slack but with some of the top class players he has and what he is getting out of them it makes him the most underachieving manager in the league.

Take away results, if we were playing good football and trying to play in the right way I would cut the manager some slack but with some of the top class players he has and what he is getting out of them it makes him the most underachieving manager in the league.

That's certainly true this year.

Towards the end of last season we were playing better and more effective football than they ever will under wenger.

Aston Villa challenged for the title once under Big Ron back in 92-93. Once the team started going backwards he was out the door. That was a Villa side with much lower expectations than us as well but Fatko was still sacked not long after that season.

And it's taken them 17 seasons to finally get a sniff of league superiority now they're being bankrolled. Be careful what you wish for.

Towards the end of last season we were playing better and more effective football than they ever will under wenger.

But that was 'by mistake', remember? Didn't we have a fully fit team as well?

But that was 'by mistake', remember? Didn't we have a fully fit team as well?

I believe the general explanation was that we were playing well "inspite of Rafa". But now we're back to playing shite "because of Rafa". At least there is consistency.

An interesting point made at times last season was that in some of our great comebacks last season, it was actually the players ignoring Rafa's instructions and going for the win that made us succeed, f.ex. when we played City away. I wonder where this ability to break free from Rafa's shackles has gone this season.

Big deal, we challenged for the title. So did Norwich once as well in the PL era.

And Aston Villa then went on to win the league.

I agree with what you are saying but quoting Aston Villa as an example is just daft. In the 17 years since they were wise enough to bin Atkinson they have won two league cups. It hardly set them up for years of dominance.

Something along the lines of "Skrtel went off and Rafa was telling us to just take the draw but we thought we could win so we ignored him and pressed forward."

Not an exact quote, obviously, but he did say basically the same thing.

Something along the lines of "Skrtel went off and Rafa was telling us to just take the draw but we thought we could win so we ignored him and pressed forward."

Not an exact quote, obviously, but he did say basically the same thing.

I think the exact quote was "we ignored the fat spanish waiter"