You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Graeme Souness the Player

Red Nick

13 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Anyone would think The Guest is the only one who has rewatched old footy matches in recent times. 

Im all for people having different opinions but the way a few regulars put their point across winds me the fuck up. Like we aren't all massive footy fans ourselves. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, easytoslip said:

Today's players often talk about yesterday's players and say how good some were. 

Beckenbauer was in the paper the other day saying he wishes he had half the ability of Tom Davies when he was playing. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, The Guest said:

The vast majority of them live in a deluded bubble that they could hack the pace, technical ability and consistency of the modern game.  They couldn’t.  The rest of it is just players being polite.

Tom Davies wouldn't last 15 minutes in the top flight 80's. Anywhere in the world.

He better hope he is in better shape cuz he would be running away til he keeled over.

8 minutes ago, The Guest said:

The vast majority of them live in a deluded bubble that they could hack the pace, technical ability and consistency of the modern game.  They couldn’t.  The rest of it is just players being polite.

Your joking, I feel duped now, never again will I listen to the views of a professional footballer again, the lying bastards. 

Thanks for letting me know. 

I’m enjoying modern football immensely, guys like Mane and Van Dijk are awesome to watch for example with their outstanding pace and power.

However bar Messi, football is in dire need of technicians IMO. Where are the Bergkamps, the Zidanes, the Zolas, the Moravciks? Has football become too reliant on athleticism and physical attributes for its own good?

On 10/05/2020 at 16:03, The Guest said:

I was born in 85 I’ve watched plenty of old games of Liverpool and other teams.  I had all the European cup finals and the road to the finals on a dvd.  I had the 80s cup finals against Everton as well before YouTube even existed.  I’ve watched plenty of big match revisited when I was at Uni.  I honestly watch football non stop.  I reckon about 90% of English top flight matches that are televised and don’t clash with another and plenty of lower league games as well.  There’s no shame in watching old games on YouTube either because you can actually get the whole 90 mins of matches instead of chopped highlights.  I’ve watched hours and hours of old world cups as well.

If you are watching these old games like I have done then you’re either clueless or watching it with rose tinted spectacles on if you think the standard isn’t absolutely dire compared to now.  The amount of punting the ball under no pressure, laughably bad positioning and comical mistakes on the ball makes the current women’s game look reasonable.  The likelihood is you aren’t bothering to watch anything and just talking shite without actually thinking about any of it.

Klopp has just been on the telly and said Beckenbauer was the best player he ever saw, I'm not sure he if knows a lot about the game mind. 

• Upvote 2