You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What constitutes the perfect cooked breakfast?

ISeeRed

Beans with a full English?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Beans with a full English?

• Aye, bean me up, Scotty.
    • Nay, poke your beans up your bum, one at a time.

4 hours ago, Lurtz said:

Hahah, yep. Featuring potato waffles cooked in the toaster. 

I thought so! Was trying to work out how you’d managed to cinder the edges and have them still frozen in the middle!

Just now, Curly said:

I thought so! Was trying to work out how you’d managed to cinder the edges and have them still frozen in the middle!

They're not frozen. They're rare. 

4 minutes ago, Lurtz said:

Curious as to why @Bob has negged my breakfast. Are you a beaner, young Bob? 

It's the eggs mate. They look to be solid yolkers and that pushed me over the edge and I couldn't just walk by.

Also, needs beans, but that's by the by.

I admire the waffles though, obviously.

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

It's the eggs mate. They look to be solid yolkers and that pushed me over the edge and I couldn't just walk by.

Also, needs beans, but that's by the by.

I admire the waffles though, obviously.

They're over-easy. The yolks were lovely and runny. 

1 minute ago, Lurtz said:

They're over-easy. The yolks were lovely and runny. 

In that case, I can only apologise. I'm now satisfied it's a good looking single man's breakkie

Had poached eggs this morning, wolfed it down and forgot to take a picture. Reckon it’s the best way to do an egg, poaching, closely followed by scrambled ( on the loose side) and then boiled(soft).

7 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Had poached eggs this morning, wolfed it down and forgot to take a picture. Reckon it’s the best way to do an egg, poaching, closely followed by scrambled ( on the loose side) and then boiled(soft).

Agreed, if done correctly. There’s an art to the perfect poached egg. 

A mate of mine has bought himself a machine that does them perfectly every time. My contempt for him rises every time he mentions it. 

• Upvote 1

On 26/05/2024 at 09:57, YorkshireRed said:

Agreed, if done correctly. There’s an art to the perfect poached egg. 

A mate of mine has bought himself a machine that does them perfectly every time. My contempt for him rises every time he mentions it. 

Like poached eggs but I can’t do them properly.

I bought a microwave thing that you put the egg in with a little water. 

Think once in 100 efforts it was quite good.

99 other times it exploded all over the microwave

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

I have a technique to do a boss poached egg - slightly long winded but perfect eggs that you can pop back in if you’re not happy and doesn’t leave egg white residue.

Cut a square of cling film, lightly brush or use your finger over one side of the cling film to create a very fine film coating with olive oil.

Get a cup, place the cling film over the cup, oiled side up, create a pocket of the film in the cup, crack the egg, poor it into the pocket, lift up, twist together, and there you go, put in the pan into hot water.

you can lift out with the clingfilm tail and pop back in until your happy.

Once you’re happy, lift it out, unravel or cut with scissors and there you go. 

• Upvote 2

I use OXO Good Grips silicone egg poachers. You won’t get a classic shape, but you will get a top notch poached egg. 3 mins for runny. 3.5 to 4 mins for partially hard.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chip Butty said:

I have a technique to do a boss poached egg - slightly long winded but perfect eggs that you can pop back in if you’re not happy and doesn’t leave egg white residue.

Cut a square of cling film, lightly brush or use your finger over one side of the cling film to create a very fine film coating with olive oil.

Get a cup, place the cling film over the cup, oiled side up, create a pocket of the film in the cup, crack the egg, poor it into the pocket, lift up, twist together, and there you go, put in the pan into hot water.

Sounds perfect - I'll be trying this in the morning, maybe with some mackerel.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chip Butty said:

This is the only way I can poach an egg, if I try and poach in water it just disintegrates and I end up with a boiled yolk. I’ve tried  whirlpool the water method and the adding vinegar to the water suggestion but it always ends up a right mess. 

The biggest problem most people have is buying shit old eggs from supermarkets. 

Buy the freshest eggs you can, massive large pan of water that’s just reached the boil with a tiny touch of white wine vinegar, whisk to create a vortex, gently drop the eggs into the water from a ramekin you’d cracked them into. 

And just wait. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

I do the same thing. It's also very good if you want to flavour the egg a little, as you can line the cling film with a herby oil or something like a tiny splash of soy and your chilli sauce of choice.

• Upvote 1

David Baddiel’s 60th birthday breakfast, cooked for him by his son.

I can only assume said son has seen his Dad’s will. 

It’s clever because most of it looks alright. The murder weapon is whatever has been mixed in with those beans.

IMG_6500.jpeg