You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

R.I.P Xbox 360 Number 5

Antynwa

I've had 5 repiars on two different consoles and this one is now screwed...Just phoned up Xbox Customer Service, they wanted 80 Pound. Needless to say I pumulled them with poliet facts of how many repairs I've had, as well as the money I've invested in the console.

Got to ring back tomorrow to see if I qualify for a free repair...

I've had 5 repiars on two different consoles and this one is now screwed...Just phoned up Xbox Customer Service, they wanted 80 Pound. Needless to say I pumulled them with poliet facts of how many repairs I've had, as well as the money I've invested in the console.

Got to ring back tomorrow to see if I qualify for a free repair...

How many hours do you play it a day/week?

I had a Premium for ages (20GB) and then sold it before the 60GB came out. I've never had a problem. Same with the PS3. I did however buy at least 4 different PS2's due to the fucked up lens.

I have a 360 that hasn't RROD yet either but every single person I know is on either #3 or #4

I still think it is a testament to the 360 that everyone who is on #3 or #4 still love the 360 and will continue sending it in so they can continue their gaming fix

I am more of a PS3 guy but the 360 is a lot of fun

• 2 months later...

Fucking hell. New survey out, done on 5000 XBox 360 users, shows that over 50% of them fails? That is unreal.

Epic Fail: Xbox 360 Failure Rate is 54.2 Percent, Game Informer Finds.

Epic Fail

Xbox 360 Failure Rate is 54.2 Percent, Game Informer Finds

By Phil Villarreal, 9:00 AM on Mon Aug 17 2009, 28,656 views

The Xbox 360 breaks five times as often as its closest failure-prone competitor, the PlayStation 3, a print edition-only Game Informer survey found.

The poorly manufactured, red ring of death-prone console has a 54.2 percent failure rate, compared to 10.6 percent for the PS3 and the Wii's 6.8 percent.

The magazine surveyed nearly 5,000 readers to get the data. And while the 360's rate is alarmingly higher than the others, it's still bafflingly low because it blows the mind to imagine that 45.8 percent of the consoles have not broken. Also, Microsoft's numbers are inflated because 360s are used the most of the three consoles. Results said 40.3 percent of 360 owners use the console three to five hours a day, compared to 37 percent of PS3 owners. Meanwhile, the plurality of Wii owners (41.4 percent) play their consoles less than an hour a day.

Microsoft also seized the gold medal for unhelpful customer service, taking nearly a month to repair or replace a console, while Nintendo and Sony stuck closer to a week. Only 37.7 percent of Microsoft customers found the company's customer service was "very helpful," compared to 51.1 percent fo Sony and 56.1 percent for Nintendo.

The most shocking number from the survey — and frightening from a consumer perspective — is only 3.8 percent of Xbox 360 owners said they'd never buy another Xbox because of hardware failure.

EPIC FAIL (print edition only) [Game Informer]

(Photo: gongus)

I got mine back today. They ticked the box next to 'DVD Drive.'

I assume I still have have my motherboard to pack in then?

Actually, I've had mine since Christmas '07 and this is the first problem I've had with it. Well, apart from being unable to get off that tank level on CoD WaW.

i'm on my third - they wanted a repair for 80 quid so told them politely to fuck off. Bought a core for £120 with free fable and fifa 09 which i already had - traded the original fifa and fable and got £40 for them so i didnt lose any money! Take that microsoft you thieving bastards!

i'm on my third - they wanted a repair for 80 quid so told them politely to fuck off. Bought a core for £120 with free fable and fifa 09 which i already had - traded the original fifa and fable and got £40 for them so i didnt lose any money! Take that microsoft you thieving bastards!

Wher'es that deal ?