You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

.......because we all know that Rafa is emotionally available to all of his players. Always there to wrap his arm around and coodle them.

Rafa is not that type of manager.

You either happy and perform or you dont and leave.

Well there's always going to be players who react better to the arm around the shoulder style of management, and I think it's a bit foolish to rule those players out just because of the managers style.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sign that he's a real professional for me.

Agreed but maybe he needed a kick up the arse and it seemed it worked. I don't believe for a minute it is anything to do with xabi's feelings as surely he is a bigger man than that, a chance to go home and get some serious money seems more likely, i may be wrong but if it is about his feelings being hurt he needs to grow some balls and maybe we are better off without players who ask for moves when their feelings get hurt?

Guest TK-421
In terms of big leagues, he is the only one. Which was my point, an exception to the rule is Ferguson.

Howard Wilkinson won the league in 1992 after becoming manager in October 1988, is more than three seasons no?

Oct 1988 - May 1989

1989/1990

1990/1991

1991/1992 - champions

More than three whole seasons.

Well there's always going to be players who react better to the arm around the shoulder style of management, and I think it's a bit foolish to rule those players out just because of the managers style.

I am not ruling them out, just emphasizing Rafas management style. For better or for worse he sees players as cogs in a machine. Professional football players that perform.

I agree with you that not all players are like that, but in Rafas case they are.

I wonder what everyones going to do when this matter is resolved which I think will be by the weekend.

What are you going to do then?

the mascherano stuff will then start in its place. its a disgrace that he doesn't have a 250 page thread yet.

Over the course of the season many wanted him sacked, they even started knee jerk threads about it

Your last post doesn't make sense:

Sacking a man who got us within 2 draws from the title with his best 2 players barely playing whilst dealing with turmoil behind the scenes is madness surely?

We were incredible from Madrid onwards and i just cant see how someone wants to sack the manager and risk getting a dud and never catching united.

Nobody suggested sacking a man who did that, they suggested sacking him after defeats against the likes of Wigan and Middlesbrough.

*I didn't suggest sacking him after either by the way.

You're saying Alonso played well last season in spite of Benitez??

You see, this is something I have a major problem with and struggle to remain anything other than confrontational with.

Where on earth do you get that from? Are you trying to put words in my mouth?

*sigh*

This is hypothetical, but if it's true that Xabi does have issues with Rafa, then surely the fact that he wants to leave proves that it's important that the manager has at least a decent relationship with his key players? You don't want your best players leaving because they don't get on with the boss.

Is that not a fair statement?

I think you could make a case either way. There's been plenty of top managers who prefered a strictly working approach. It depends on the player too. I always thought Gerrard resented Rafa for not constantly indulging him, but he responded and improved his game immeasurably.

I am not ruling them out, just emphasizing Rafas management style. For better or for worse he sees players as cogs in a machine. Professional football players that perform.

I agree with you that not all players are like that, but in Rafas case they are.

If (if!) that's the case, then I think it's a weakness. If (if!) it's the reason Alonso wants to leave then I also think it's detrimental to the club because it weakens the team.

I think you could make a case either way. There's been plenty of top managers who prefered a strictly working approach. It depends on the player too. I always thought Gerrard resented Rafa for not constantly indulging him, but he responded and improved his game imeasurably.

He also nearly left because he didn't feel wanted enough. I'm not saying he was right in thinking that (because I was in the 'stop being a fanny' camp on that one) but the point still stands.

Nobody suggested sacking a man who did that, they suggested sacking him after defeats against the likes of Wigan and Middlesbrough.

people also want him sacked now, i said at the time wait til may and i say we should stick with him now. I am not basing my viewpoint on this forum alone, i am basing it on what i hear from friends, what i heard at the ground, in the pub and in the media.

You see, this is something I have a major problem with and struggle to remain anything other than confrontational with.

Where on earth do you get that from? Are you trying to put words in my mouth?

*sigh*

Confrontational??

It's the internet.

OK you weren't saying what i thought you were fair enough,just be cool...........or something.

If (if!) that's the case, then I think it's a weakness. If (if!) it's the reason Alonso wants to leave then I also think it's detrimental to the club because it weakens the team.

Sadly I agree with you, but he is the way he is.

We might have lost few players down the line because of it, but there other coaches there that make up for Rafas lack of emotion.

Rafa bought Alonso here so its safe to say that if Alonso wanted his managers coodling then he would of been shot down.

Might be another reason but surely Alonso is too much of pro to let that get him......

people also want him sacked now, i said at the time wait til may and i say we should stick with him now. I am not basing my viewpoint on this forum alone, i am basing it on what i hear from friends, what i heard at the ground, in the pub and in the media.

For what its worth I am repping that.

People are calling for the managers head because we are to 5 years and no title.

Point is Rafa has just started making the changes that he originally wanted to change.

The fruits of his labours will come to us soon.

Despite of our financial worries, its a great time to be a Liverpool fan, and for all intents and purposes we owe that much to Rafa.

Sadly I agree with you, but he is the way he is.

We might have lost few players down the line because of it, but there other coaches there that make up for Rafas lack of emotion.

Rafa bought Alonso here so its safe to say that if Alonso wanted his managers coodling then he would of been shot down.

Might be another reason but surely Alonso is too much of pro to let that get him......

I think Alonso is a real pro and I would hate to see people question his professionalism if he left.

I would find it hard to stay if my boss tried to sell me after i'd had a great season.

If that was true of course.

Rash suggested that if a manager didn't win the league or at least put up a really good challenge in his first 3 years he would sack him. Using the fact that apart from slur every manager at a top club in europe has won their respective league in their first 3 seasons. I amongst others dont think he should have been sacked. No one suggested sacking him now.

For whats worth I am repping that.

People are calling for the managers because we are to 5 years and no title.

Point is Rafa has just started making the changes that he originally wanted to change.

The fruits of his labours will come to us soon.

Despite of our financial worries, its a great time to be a Liverpool fan, and for all intents and purposes we owe that much to Rafa.

Those other people you allude to aren't necessarily wrong, they just have a different opinion to you.