You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thierry Henry

Antynwa

Watching his first goal for Barca last night really fucking pissed me off. He had three identical opportunities against Chelsea in the week and just dithered while they got back instead of banging it in like he did last night. Chelsea did not offer this defensive and tactical masterclass that the media keep rattling on about; Barca were just wank in the final third. I hope the team of last night turns up at Stamford Bridge next week rather than the shambles that played in the first leg.

Watching his first goal for Barca last night really fucking pissed me off. He had three identical opportunities against Chelsea in the week and just dithered while they got back instead of banging it in like he did last night. Chelsea did not offer this defensive and tactical masterclass that the media keep rattling on about; Barca were just wank in the final third. I hope the team of last night turns up at Stamford Bridge next week rather than the shambles that played in the first leg.

Madrid didn't set up two banks of 4 and play like Stoke though, and Chelsea will have to attack at Stamford Bridge, so hopefully Henry rips them a new one like he's done a couple of times before. I doubt even Hiddink will set out to defend at home.

Madrid didn't set up two banks of 4 and play like Stoke though, and Chelsea will have to attack at Stamford Bridge, so hopefully Henry rips them a new one like he's done a couple of times before. I doubt even Hiddink will set out to defend at home.

Agreed - but he still had three identical chances and yet he just went to the line, dithered and lost the ball. If he'd gone for goal like he did last night, he'd have scored with at least one of them, in my opinion. Chelsea did nothing special whatsoever last week. They were merely well-organised. It was hardly a backs-against-the-wall operation of last-ditch and desperate defending, was it? And yet they've been lauded for some amazing tactical and defensive masterclass.

It was - as you say - Stoke tactics. Not that there's anything wrong with that mind; I just feel that the result in Spain was more about Barca's poor performance than Chelsea's brilliant one (much like the match at Anfield in the preceding round actually).

He's just a joy to watch, this season he seems like the Henry of old at Arsenal. As a side note, Henry has always been my non-Liverpool favourite striker, mostly due to his talent.

IMO Torres is better than Henry now at his prime, and that is what makes me excited because Torres is still very young.

Right footed player who plays on the left wing.

Don't remember him.

I remember Sabri putting in a couple of great balls against us from the right wing.

Anything ever happen to him?

Great point, but that's Henry through & through though.

He gets the real pressure goals a lot less than his totals suggest he should.

Barca had a cushion last nite & he turned it on.

The Chavs game was tighter in a more important competition.

When did he ever score in a Cup Final?

Look at his moody performance against Barca in the '06 CL final.

Superb footballer but not a "chips are down" type of player.

Great point, but that's Henry through & through though.

He gets the real pressure goals a lot less than his totals suggest he should.

Barca had a cushion last nite & he turned it on.

The Chavs game was tighter in a more important competition.

When did he ever score in a Cup Final?

Look at his moody performance against Barca in the '06 CL final.

Superb footballer but not a "chips are down" type of player.

They were getting beat 1-0 when he scored last night!

Spanish league is a different game with a few acception players like pennant would be huge there.

He's hardly untried and tested in the PL is he? He is just about the most exciting and talented footballer ever to play in the Prem,i loved wathing no-one more than Henry at his best

He's just a joy to watch, this season he seems like the Henry of old at Arsenal. As a side note, Henry has always been my non-Liverpool favourite striker, mostly due to his talent.

IMO Torres is better than Henry now at his prime, and that is what makes me excited because Torres is still very young.

I agree with that, and they are similar in their approach to a game and attacking play, but on numerous occasions i remember seeing Henry goals wondering who else on earth could pull the same thing off.

Every few years a striker like that comes along i.e. Henry, van Nistelrooy (don't deny it, we were all jealous at his strike record in his first couple of years at Utd) but Torres is the only real stand-out striker in England at least at the moment.

I don't get all this Villa talk as in David, he's good but he doesnt really transform a team and games quite like Fernando can do.

Dunno if anyone has read Paul Tompkins' latest column about important goals/games ratio, but when you think about it, Fernando has scored against almost every one of our big-league opposition this season, be it foreign or domestic. The guy is a sensation.

But back on topic, i would still absolutely LOVE to see Thierry on merseyside in red, what a frightening attacking team we'd have then, especially with the lightning counter-attacks Rafa has us playing nowadays. Doubt that'll be the case today, mind you

Didn't Diouf look like Pele in WC 02 though?

Not having a pop, just don't personally put too much into a player I've only seen a few times.

Didn't Diouf look like Pele in WC 02 though?

Not having a pop, just don't personally put too much into a player I've only seen a few times.

Well, I thought he looked good: pacey, technical, and tidy. The italian and spanish big boys are all interested, from what I read(could be bullshit like most football rumours) and we've been linked to him.

Read an interview with him and he seems like a good lad, who would fit it personality wise.

• 13 years later...
On 09/05/2022 at 13:11, Kevin D said:

"It's not 11 players to beat, if I beat you, I beat the line"

The title is misleading and written by someone who doesn't understand football, as most things are on Youtube.

Thats a very good interview with Henry and he speaks very well. You understand why he was such a good player when he talks there.

• 1 month later...
On 09/05/2022 at 13:11, Kevin D said:

"It's not 11 players to beat, if I beat you, I beat the line"

The title is misleading and written by someone who doesn't understand football, as most things are on Youtube.

Video got deleted for some reason, so here's the reupload:

• Upvote 1