You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Off to that there London

WaltonRed

7 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Off down there tomorrow for a couple of days. First ever time. Apart from Wembley and Heathrow, but they're not proper London. 

I'm going to stay around the posher areas like Kensington and that. A nice little meander through Kensington Gardens and then some culture in the V&A, then the British Museum and a go on a Thames boat. 

Staying in one of those Hub hotels. Small rooms, but look boss. 

Is Uber reliable/worth using in that, there London? 

Taxi drivers are a rip off all over London regardless. Get the Tube for crying out loud man ! 

12 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Off down there tomorrow for a couple of days. First ever time. Apart from Wembley and Heathrow, but they're not proper London. 

I'm going to stay around the posher areas like Kensington and that. A nice little meander through Kensington Gardens and then some culture in the V&A, then the British Museum and a go on a Thames boat. 

Staying in one of those Hub hotels. Small rooms, but look boss. 

Is Uber reliable/worth using in that, there London? 

I use Uber more or less every day, and it works a treat, though if you're in central London use the tube.  Apart from the museums, there isn't a great deal to see around that area.  I would suggest you get one of the hop on-hop off buses to do sightseeing though.  

Do have a mooch around the markets, pre-book to go up to the roof garden in the Walkie Talkie buildings - it's free, but you do have to book.  Fantastic views from up there of the whole of London, and it's in the heart of the city near the Bank of England.  While you're there have a look around Leadenhall Market, and perhaps climb to the top of the Monument, which marks the starting place of the Great Fire of London.  Yes, yes I was there of course.  If the weather's nice, walk along the south bank from the London Eye to Tower Bridge. And make sure you walk across Waterloo Bridge at night - one of the best ground level views in the world imho. 

• Upvote 5

54 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I use Uber more or less every day, and it works a treat, though if you're in central London use the tube.  Apart from the museums, there isn't a great deal to see around that area.  I would suggest you get one of the hop on-hop off buses to do sightseeing though.  

Do have a mooch around the markets, pre-book to go up to the roof garden in the Walkie Talkie buildings - it's free, but you do have to book.  Fantastic views from up there of the whole of London, and it's in the heart of the city near the Bank of England.  While you're there have a look around Leadenhall Market, and perhaps climb to the top of the Monument, which marks the starting place of the Great Fire of London.  Yes, yes I was there of course.  If the weather's nice, walk along the south bank from the London Eye to Tower Bridge. And make sure you walk across Waterloo Bridge at night - one of the best ground level views in the world imho. 

I concur fully with the last 4 sentences. 

43 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

They’d be pretty unenjoyable if on first viewing you were an adult. However, they have a certain nostalgic value if your first experience of them was as a kid.

Fair point. I never got past Rocky 2 myself and First Blood had almost no resemblance to the awful Rambo films which followed. Which was its strength,of course.

26 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Fair point. I never got past Rocky 2 myself and First Blood had almost no resemblance to the awful Rambo films which followed. Which was its strength,of course.

Are you saying you haven't seen 3 and 4?! 

8 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

London is a great place to be if you have plenty of money, but pretty shit if you don’t, in my opinion.

Architecture

Galleries

Museums

Parks

Wandering around the river and waterways

Street Food

Pubs that don't give a shit if you nurse a single pint while watching the football.  Mainly because you'll have had to pawn your watch to buy it, but still...

Most of it within walking distance of the city centre.  Getting there's overpriced and I imagine having to rely on hotels is a costly pain in the arse, but once you're there there's no excuse for having a shit time.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Nope,i have better things to do than watch crap films,but I will google or youtube the music.

Burning Heart and Eye of the Tiger are good but not keen on the other stuff.

Not keen on No Easy Way Out?  Are you fucking deaf?

• Upvote 2