You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Give me some evidence then, as according to the latest numbers from Football France, "the Bible" in European football he does not.

I have done on the other thread.

We dont know individual player's wages exactly but we do know the total as it has to be declared in the accounts.

There are some asumptions in there but they could be wrong eitehr way.

£160/wk is about right

Most of the difference comes from the currencies moves.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he seems to be earning £135k a week

Liverpool linked with £18m move for Barcelona star Eto'o | Metro.co.uk

i hate these threads he won't be moving here period, so no point in dragging out the thread. and talking crap about how he will fit into our formation with gerrard and torress , HE WILL NOT SIGN FOR LIVERPOOL

ETO WILL NOT SIGN FOR LIVERPOOL AND YOU KNOW THAT!!!

pah. Your word against mine. I am going to look so fucking ace when he signs.

Eto'o is one of the best strikers in the world, if not thee best!

In my opinion he is a better all round striker than Torres.

However I don't think he is the type of player we should be signing, We should be looking at players who are on there way up, and not on the way down, which Eto'o is. He suffers with knee problems and only has a few more years at the top.

This summer I'd like us to bring in Gareth Barry, David Silva and a striker who would settle for being an understudy for Torres.

The only player I can think of currently is Carlton Cole, who has improved no end this season and is finally starting to show the promise he showed at Chelsea.

Eto'o is one of the best strikers in the world, if not thee best!

In my opinion he is a better all round striker than Torres.

However I don't think he is the type of player we should be signing, We should be looking at players who are on there way up, and not on the way down, which Eto'o is. He suffers with knee problems and only has a few more years at the top.

No he isn't. Besides - a few years - what, say 3-5 titles worth?

This summer I'd like us to bring in Gareth Barry, David Silva and a striker who would settle for being an understudy for Torres.

The only player I can think of currently is Carlton Cole, who has improved no end this season and is finally starting to show the promise he showed at Chelsea.

Barry, I'm ambivalent about - Silva - absolutely agree - Carlton Cole - what the fuck are you sniffing?

We don't want an understudy for Torres, we want someone to share the load and yes - at times to accompany or replace him.

A number of things make me think this deal might just happen:

Player and manager have mutual respect

Rafa not scared of buying 'bad boys' but also not concerned about fucking them off either

We have form for sounding out players late in their contracts

Eto'o will be a good 'merchandise' signing which will sit better with the yanks with regards to wages

Let it be - and we'll have the perfect ending to 'We've got the best attack in the world'!

Thats interesting because he certainly does not figure on this list.

Premier League dominates player rich list - Telegraph

And Gerrard does not get £150K/ a week.

Sometimes I wonder where you get your numbers from Catch? :ermm:

These are the 20 top earners in football, Etoo is nowhere to be seen.

1. David Beckham, Milan,

2. Lionel Messi, Barcelona,

3. Ronaldinho, Milan,

4. Cristiano Ronaldo, Man United,

5. Thierry Henry, Barcelona,

6. Kaká, Milan,

7. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Inter,

8. Wayne Rooney, Man United,

9. Frank Lampard, Chelsea,

10. John Terry, Chelsea,

11. Fabio Cannavaro, Real Madrid,

12. Robinho, Man City,

13. Michael Ballack, Chelsea,

14. Steve Gerrard, Liverpool,

15. Didier Drogba, Chelsea,

16. Gianluigi Buffon, Juventus,

17. Alessandro Del Piero, Juventus,

18. Iker Casillas, Real Madrid,

19. Cesc Fàbregas, Arsenal,

20. Francesco Totti, Roma,

Source: France Football

France Football : actualité sportive du football, foot transfert, coupe du monde de football

Your numbers are wrong, that looks like income to me which includes image rights etc.

Here is the best guide to salaries:

The 50 highest salaries of football players 2008/2009: Football Finance

Zlatan Ibrahimović	Internazionale	750000
Ricardo Kaka	AC Milan	750000
Lionel Messi	FC Barcelona	700000
John Terry	Chelsea FC	632000
Frank Lampard	Chelsea FC	632000
Thierry Henry	FC Barcelona	625000
Samuel Eto'o	FC Barcelona	625000
Cristiano Ronaldo	Manchester United	564000
Ronaldinho Gaucho	AC Milan	542000
Andrei Shevchenko	AC Milan	542000
Michael Ballack	Chelsea FC	542000
Steven Gerrard	Liverpool FC	542000
Rio Ferdinand	Manchester United	542000
Raul Gonzalez	Real Madrid	533000
Ruud van Nistelrooy	Real Madrid	533000
Iker Casillas	Real Madrid	500000
Frederic Kanouté	Sevilla FC	500000

Those amounts are monthly in Euros and the #'s are consistent with for example the public details of Beckham's salary. So alas, we will not be getting Eto'o on the cheap.

I usually disagree with this writer on most things, but on this issue, I completely agree.

His description of Gerrard is about 2 years out of date. Probably the last time he watched us. Gerrard has come on by leaps and bounds in the game intelligence department and has shown he knows he sometimes has to sacrifice for the team and he's prepared to do it.

Anyone claiming that Benitez or that group of players can't play a basic 442 is chatting out of their ass.

I understand the slight hesitance to a possible Eto'o deal based on where he plays and how that affects Nando and Stevie. But I think if this sort of opportunity comes along you simply have to act.

I can see Et tu in a 4-4-2 as one of the two, or in a 4-2-3-1 as the one (or possibly the central or right of the three if need be, though I'm well aware he is a goal machine and would likely do his best work up top).

Bottom line is he is an intelligent player; a match-winner to stand proudly in the company of Stevie and Nando. We've had loads of draws this season, and if we fail to win the title, those draws will have been a huge factor.

For the life of me I can't see how we would get as many draws next season with Eto'o, Nando and Stevie in the same team. The pace. The movement. The goals. The power. The world class ability coming at you from all angles.

It is a no brainer for me.

His description of Gerrard is about 2 years out of date. Probably the last time he watched us. Gerrard has come on by leaps and bounds in the game intelligence department and has shown he knows he sometimes has to sacrifice for the team and he's prepared to do it.

Anyone claiming that Benitez or that group of players can't play a basic 442 is chatting out of their ass.

Interesting. Now prove it by naming the games for Liverpool OR England where Gerrard has played well in a 4-4-2 as a CM. This season or last season.

We DID win a couple of matches using 4-4-2 early this season, the early games where we used Torres and Keane, and used Gerrard with Alonso or mascherano, but it was nowhere near comfortable, nor did we control the match or possession. We had to come back many times, after changing formations to 4-2-3-1 I might add, before winning.

The first game against the Mancs is the only game I can think of we played well with 4-4-2, and we did it without Gerrard or Torres.

The improvement you are seeing to his game is because he doesn't have to do any defending and is given a free role to do whatever he wants, like just behind the striker.

Interesting. Now prove it by naming the games for Liverpool OR England where Gerrard has played well in a 4-4-2 as a CM. This season or last season.

We DID win a couple of matches using 4-4-2 early this season, the early games where we used Torres and Keane, and used Gerrard with Alonso or mascherano, but it was nowhere near comfortable, nor did we control the match or possession. We had to come back many times, after changing formations to 4-2-3-1 I might add, before winning.

The first game against the Mancs is the only game I can think of we played well with 4-4-2, and we did it without Gerrard or Torres.

The improvement you are seeing to his game is because he doesn't have to do any defending and is given a free role to do whatever he wants, like just behind the striker.

I'm sure those with a better memory for the specifics than I can help you with that.

No, the improvement I'm seeing has got to do with off the ball movement, space utilization and decision making which has got nothing to do with defending.

I'm sure those with a better memory for the specifics than I can help you with that.

No, the improvement I'm seeing has got to do with off the ball movement, space utilization and decision making which has got nothing to do with defending.

Those are all attacking qualities you mentioned. Gerrard's improvement under Rafa has primarily been in an attacking sense. He was never a goal machine the way he is now under Houllier. IMO he is far more effective right now than Owen was in the Houllier years.

I don't think anyone can argue that Gerrard has improved defending wise. He was always pretty good defensively, and if needed can be used as a CM, DM or even a defender. But all that would be at the expense of his attacking qualities.

The problem with putting Gerrard back in CM is you will lose his goals. He will still score, mind you, but not the same numbers and consistency as he does now.

So if your argument is that Gerrard is a better overall player, I would completely agree. But if your argument is that he is a better CM, then no. He hasn't struck a good partnership with Mascherano, Alonso or Lucas with us at CM, nor with Lampard or Barry or whoever for England. Decent yes. But better than him playing with Torres up front? Not a chance.

Instead of Eto'o, I would rather get creativity for the wide areas. Seeing that Rafa likes to get young players rather than established stars, my guess will be players like Gourcuff and Afellay, both young and ready to learn.

A new player will have to be willing to learn to succeed under Rafa. He has specific ideas about how the team should play. Those that adept, will do well. Those that don't, won't. Will Eto'o be willing to chase down defenders non stop, so much so that it is rarely that any striker under Rafa plays a whole 90 mins? Even Kuyt when playing a lone striker doesn't have the stamina to do so. Torres definitely look shattered after 70 mins most games, even when fully fit.