You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ultimate Beer Thread (No Carling allowed)

ISeeRed

11 minutes ago, Elite said:

Grapefruit is s big no-no on the blood thinners I take, so won't chance that, I imagine it's just artificial flavouring.

It's not actual grapefruits (although their Elvis juice does). Certain hops the way they brew with them give off certain acids which are found in other things, so sometimes it can be like tropical fruits or citrus fruits or whatever. I've actually got the punk recipe as brewdog "open source" them all. I'll try and find it and post it up. 

I actually end up drinking mostly craft beers/modern IPAs due to this trying new beer policy despite them being amongst my least preferred styles of beers. I find a lot taste pretty similar and too sour and hoppy for my liking, although there a several that get the balance right. What I'm trying to say is that if craft stuff doesn't work for you, it doesn't mean there aren't countless new styles available to try. German weissbier is wonderful as is their dunkels and Pilsners. My favourite beer is Belgian trappist ales which tend to be very dark and very strong. Then with using my beer rating app I keep on wanking on about on this thread (untappd) I ended up noticing I really like Stouts and Porters, especially Bourbon and milk stouts which often have really delicious chocolate and coffee flavours. Hard to get a stout wrong, though contrary to most people I think Guinness do. 

You could probably do worse than read back through this thread and write down a few that sound amazing, try a few different styles and see what works. If you get the app, you can track your ratings and learn more about the styles of beer you are having, be warned it's addictive in a beer version of Pokemon go type of way and majorly responsible for my drinking habits. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Don't get Punk IPA if you don't like grapefruit. 

If you want an interesting deviation from lager have a look at Köstritzer schwarzbier which is as black as Guinness yet is a type of lager. 

I like grapefruit but I can't stand IPA, any of them. Taste like cat piss... is it the hops?

Big on the Stouts and lagers 

Any recommendations for stouts?

15 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I like grapefruit but I can't stand IPA, any of them. Taste like cat piss... is it the hops?

I've been wanting to try this, but it's never in the supermarket when I go. 

As for the cat piss, it almost certainly is the hops! Hops are in the main the only difference between lager and IPA. 

Screenshot_20201010-181250.jpg

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As for the cat piss, it almost certainly is the hops! Hops are in the main the only difference between lager and IPA. 

It’s really good.

On stouts...

Pohajala, Siren, Mikkeller, Wylam, Pressure Drop, Burning Sky and Buxton have all done some great ones recently off the top of my head.

A shop I use in London https://allgoodbeer.co.uk/search?q=Stout

Here’s a great one from the midlands https://hoptimism.co.uk/search?type=product&q=Stout

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Remmie will know more than me, certainly on ones you can get in the UK. There's good Dutch stout these days but it's all Imperial at somewhere between 9 to 12%. 

I love Titanic Plum Porter when I'm back over. Tasty stuff. 

• Upvote 3

On 06/09/2020 at 09:51, Remmie said:

I had a look on my beer app and found the following beers I've rated 5* that fall under the category Stout or Porter:

Pot Kettle Black - Yeastie boys

Bourbon stout - Siren

Must Kold Colombia - Pohjala (coffee)

Chocolate orange stout - 3 Hills brewing 

Just realised I can save time and do screenshot and that it looks like I am listing tracks and artists 

Screenshot_2020-09-06-09-50-30-554_com.untappdllc.app.jpg

Screenshot_2020-09-06-09-51-20-867_com.untappdllc.app.jpg

Screenshot_2020-09-06-09-51-42-169_com.untappdllc.app.jpg

Here's something I posted earlier on stouts and porters

15 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

My brother came up trumps and sent me a load of the rarer BrewDog ones for my Birthday last week. 

Got one of these included but not tried yet. I was pleased to see the Cloudwater collaboration in there as well, that’s a cracker.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, paddyberger said:

My brother came up trumps and sent me a load of the rarer BrewDog ones for my Birthday last week. 

Got one of these included but not tried yet. I was pleased to see the Cloudwater collaboration in there as well, that’s a cracker.

My.missus has apparently ordered me the brewdog advent calendar. It's got plenty of staple ones in there, but a few I've not had too. I'm looking forward to it. Well except dead pony. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

My.missus has apparently ordered me the brewdog advent calendar. It's got plenty of staple ones in there, but a few I've not had too. I'm looking forward to it. Well except dead pony. 

Brewdog ‘Overworks’ is really nice stuff usually. They’re seasonal and tend to be in the fridges in the bars, but it’s their more ‘experimental’ small batch stuff.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

BrewdogOverworks’ is really nice stuff usually. They’re seasonal and tend to be in the fridges in the bars, but it’s their more ‘experimental’ small batch stuff.

Aren't they all sours (strangely spell checks to spurs)? I'm not a massive fan of sours to be honest. I'm not saying I never have one, but if there's a reasonable alternative it would be unusual for me to pick it. And if a bar sells sours it'll normally have something pretty decent. 

3 hours ago, Elite said:

I had a few bottles of Punk IPA last night and although it was okay, I wouldn't be in a rush to have it again.  Too bitter for me.

If it's too bitter, a New England style IPA might be more up your street - but to look at it's very hazy. Thornbridge Jamestown is an easily accessible one from the supermarket. But in the craft section there'll probably be a few choices. Sometimes they might be known as hazy or juicy IPA's. 

Optionally some of the German beers suggested by others back up the thread might be in a better choice. 

Screenshot_20201011-174100.jpg

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

If it's too bitter, a New England style IPA might be more up your street - but to look at it's very hazy. Thornbridge Jamestown is an easily accessible one from the supermarket. But in the craft section there'll probably be a few choices. Sometimes they might be known as hazy or juicy IPA's. 

Optionally some of the German beers suggested by others back up the thread might be in a better choice. 

Screenshot_20201011-174100.jpg

I'll try a few different ones every week, working back through this thread.

Having a bit of a mare tonight on the beer front. I fancied a cider and found a few bottles of Weston's organic vintage at the back of the cupboard. They were a little out of date but I thought they'd be ok - but they had strangely gone completely flat and tasted a bit off. 

So i went to my old faithful homebrew IPA - poured half a glass and the barrel went! I've got a lager and porter on but I like to save them for when people are round who won't drink IPA (not that that's an issue with the new lockdown)

So I've had to go for some supermarket faithfuls I keep in my man cave for where I normally watch the match. All nice beers, but somehow I'm a little disappointed. 

IMG_20201011_172745.jpg

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Having a bit of a mare tonight on the beer front. I fancied a cider and found a few bottles of Weston's organic vintage at the back of the cupboard. They were a little out of date but I thought they'd be ok - but they had strangely gone completely flat and tasted a bit off. 

So i went to my old faithful homebrew IPA - poured half a glass and the barrel went! I've got a lager and porter on but I like to save them for when people are round who won't drink IPA (not that that's an issue with the new lockdown)

So I've had to go for some supermarket faithfuls I keep in my man cave for where I normally watch the match. All nice beers, but somehow I'm a little disappointed. 

IMG_20201011_172745.jpg

Thornbridge are doing a special with Jaipur, Jaipur X and Jaipur DIPA I reply want it, but even I’m baulking at paying £30 for it, the X and DIPA are one offs though.

You do get a glass with it, but fuck that’s pricey for what it is.